What You Have To Sign To Get A Dodge Demon.

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Meagain, Jun 21, 2017.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Back in the day, '74 or so, there was a battered Superbird or Daytona running around the area that probably could've been picked up for a couple dollars.

Worth big bucks now.
    [​IMG]
    Also back in the early 80's I passed up the deal of a lifetime. A 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury III with a police interceptor engine. Heavy duty alternator, dual ignition, four speed factory Hurst shiftier, bucket seats, console, factory tach, AC, good mileage.....needed a battery, tiny spot or two of rust on the quarter panels.
    One owner, the dude had it out west on one of those no speed limit highways and got scared at 140 mph, so he backed off, it was still accelerating.
    This model was the pace car at Indy in '65.

$500.00 and I turned it down cause I had no garage....what an idiot.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Hmm..I'm not so sure those demons are all that and a bag a chips, mates.

I blew one off on my motorcycle last week. We bsxsically raced a quarter mile or a bit longer, maybe 1500 feet, from a standing stoplight start on a frontage road off i35 here in Austin. When I shut it down after about .30 miles at about 130 mph...I had him by a good twenty meters.

So...Dodge, that $90,000 pricetag, and that make believe contract they have you sign..can kiss my pucker! LOL

3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

At the Talladega race they had hundred of the old Plymouths with the big wings going around a parade lap. Was pretty awesome to see I got plenty of photos I'll try find some. :)

I don't have any on my phone. But if YouTube it. :) I might do that later when I'm on PC.

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The original Demon was basically a Dodge Dart, a junior muscle car back in the day. https://blog.dodge.com/heritage/1971-dodge-demon/

I never really liked it when car companies bring back old names of respectable classics, and then put that name on a cheaper model in the present day. The Chevy Nova was a reputable muscle car back in the day, but then they put the Nova brand on a rebranded Corolla back in the 80s. It's sort of the same thing what Dodge is doing to the Dart, by putting a name of a junior muscle car of yesteryear onto an economy car today.

5. MeAgain

It's a 2018 car, according to the press they don't go on sell until late September 2017.

The fastest time recorded for a Demon (factory owned) is 9.65 secs ET @ about 140 mph. That's in full 840 HP race mode with a professional driver.

Three production motorcycles can beat that, the 2012 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R (593 lbs.) @ 9.47 ET, the 2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR (400ibs.) @ 9.49 ET, and the 2015 Kawasaki Ninja H2 (476 lbs.) @ 9.62 ET, no production cars can beat the Demon at this time.

The heaviest motorcycle on that list weighs 593 lbs. the Demon's track weight is 4,250 lbs., street weight will vary due to options.
    That's a 1/4 ton vehicle against one weighing over 2 tons.
    The motorcycle is seven times lighter, hardly a fair comparison.

6. MeAgain

My son got to sit in one at one of the Chrysler Nationals shows. The owner was very nice, he said the car was worth over $100,000 and he told my son, who was about 12 at the time, to jump in and play with stuff!

I found this:
    A bunch of cool cars on their way to Talladega in 2015. Lots of wing cars and Mercury Cyclones.
    I had a buddy that got a brand new 1969 428 Cobra Jet Cyclone with Ram Air when he was, oh probably 17, very similar to the ones you'll see in this video.
    https://youtu.be/XkAG2cNKqtI​
    We used to do all sorts of illegal drugs and fire that CJ up and take it for a drive. I posted one time about our one day 1,000 mile round ticket road trip to Cherry Point NC in that car to deliver three AWOL marines back to their base. That was a blast.
    Here's what it sounded like when it was idling along at 60 mph.

http://youtu.be/9d0nLFWhA_A​

1 person likes this.
  7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That's when we were there, 2015 October race so I'd say that's the one.

I always thought they were ugly. =p but i get it in a classic sort of way. :D

8. MeAgain

Yes, they didn't sell well.
    That's why you could pick them up at a bargain price for awhile until everyone realized what they really were.
    The styling was purely build for sustained racing speed. In those days you had to actually produce the car you were going to race and offer it to the general public, not like today.
    In 1970 a Daytona broke 200 mph at Talladega, it was then banned because of its handling and speed.

9. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

All I can think about with that car, is that I hope they are not going to be for general use on main roads that everyone uses. There are already enough incompetent drivers, road kills and accidents

10. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

They are street legal and most will be bought by old men with slow reaction times and no actual racing experience. With the power it has it really needs a role cage so you don't die in a wreck. But that means the car is slower and over the 10 second 1/4 mile mark which is a big deal in drag racing. So I imagine some of these men are going to die. The car bends the cage does not that why you need it.

[​IMG]

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That was my point,. If they want to kill themselves, that is one thing, but taking another life is another.

12. MeAgain

Just thought I'd throw this in...as it's pretty cool.
    This is Jay Leno's ride in the legendary Hurst Hemi Under Glass Barracuda...2,500 HP.

Watch the entire video....it's worth it!

http://youtu.be/LabX19ocJZA​
    I can't believe it was still running.​

13. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

This is an old army buddy of mine with his '57 Jag. He inherited it from his dad and has spent the last 10 years or so restoring it.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.