Crazy Stuff You Used To Believe As A Kid

Discussion in 'Weird, Bizarre and Mysterious' started by Adamskiffle, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Born25YearsTooLate

Born25YearsTooLate Hunting the mighty whifflesnark

I've a laundry list of ridiculous things, like how adults knew what they were doing, or how love conquered all, or that couples stayed together forever, that if you were nice to people, they'd like you, or people would accept you for who you were. That friends forever meant just that, in a kind and benevolent god and heaven and forgiveness, in honor and charity and that there was room in the world for everybody, and that if we all tried, everybody could have 'enough' and be happy. that there was someone out there for me.. a soul mate and best friend and spiritual companion. That if I tried hard enough I could do and be whatever I wanted. That people wouldn't be cruel or mean or spiteful for 'no reason', so if I didn't give them a reason, they wouldn't be. That being a good person mattered in the slightest. That nobody was really worthy of hate, and that there was good in everybody, and anyone could change, or be better, or deserved a second chance.

god damn, I was so totally full of shit.

2. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

That my parents were ultimately right always, and that adults were a superior entity.

scratcho likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I probably believe more shit now in my 30s than I did in my childhood. :p

themnax and Ged like this.
  4. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I believed that my father was Santa Claus. When I was about six year old, I remember waking up in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve, and seeing him put presents under the tree. I thought, "my dad's Santa?"

I was half relieved/half disappointed when I eventually learned that he wasn't. :tearsofjoy:

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I know right? And they eat the cookies and drink the milk. Like, yo.. Cmon dad. I didn't even get cookie. :(

Deidre likes this.
  6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I used to think that those ceramic porcelain insulators on power lines were birds that became permanently stuck to the wires.

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

This! Except being 47 I probably believe more shit than you.

8. Instead of "nectar" I would say "neck dirt" not even realizing if was wrong...
    my parents would laugh and I was so clueless

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  9. Fixes_big_yellow_things

Fixes_big_yellow_things Members

My Dad told me that standing on my head helps get rid of gas pain, because hot air goes up.
    So for years after, every time I had bad gass I would do head stands against a wall.

I've tried passing this knowledge on to my childeren, but unfortunately they're smarter than i was at that age.

scratcho likes this.
  10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Step on a crack, break your mothers back

[​IMG]

Asmodean, RetiredHippie and McFuddy like this.
  11. I believed that politicians were honest.

12. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I used to leave out carrots for the reindeer. I figured Santa was sick of milk cookies by the time he got to our house. Probably full too.

I figured no one was thinking about the reindeer.

soulcompromise likes this.
  13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Did you know that the original Santa Claus was Odin? And the 8 reindeer of today represents the 8 legs of of Sleipnir, Odens war horse?

On Christmas after battle the giants, Oden and Sleipnir would come back through villages and the children would feed him milk and carrots outside their door while oden handed out gifts for the children.

Sleipnir was carnivorous horse, and had a red nose, from eating the entrails of the Jotun giants, which is how Rudolph got his red nose.

Running Horse and Joeblows like this.
  14. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

That people weren't all dumbasses

la Principessa likes this.
  15. la Principessa

la Principessa Old School HF Member

That people generally cared about others and weren't selfish, that I'd be married with kids and have an awesome career by my age, that I was straight, that wars happen for a good reason, that life would be easier when I was an adult.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

that humans were an intelligent life form.

that everyone would still be able to build and live in their own shelter by the time i reached adulthood.

17. RetiredHippie

RetiredHippie Hick

When I was a wee lad there were TV commercials advising "aliens" to register with the government. Being a rabid Sci-Fi movie fan you know what I was thinking.

themnax likes this.
  18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Right, right, somebody said alien and she thought they said illegal alien and signed up.

:D

[​IMG]

19. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

GLENGLEN and Tyrsonswood like this.
  20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I used to believe in flying reindeer. That qualifies. :)

EDIT: oh.. someone put reindeer. I think I saw it out of the corner of my eye and then thought about it. I definitely believed in Santa Claus.