Show Off Your Talent/skills

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by abarambling, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I've hit a score of about 650 or so at scrabble a few times.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

im really good at stinking up my running shoes

3. Banned Drama Queen

Banned Drama Queen Idiot

I like watching college basketball a lot... I get into March Maddess and do my brackets... but definitely enjoy playing... not as light on my feet as I used to be ha ha

4. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

I am really Good at Gas welding Cast Iron ! ( its a lost art )

Born25YearsTooLate and MeAgain like this.
  5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

friend of mine has a very old cast iron cooking pot that cracked...ive never seen such a thin cast pot

he wanted it welded but i havent tried yet for fear of making it worse (its a passed down thru generations thing that i dont want to ruin)

any suggestions?

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Did that once.

7. Rots in hell

Heat and more heat or it will be chase the crack ! use good quality gas rods and lots of flux set your torch to a neutral flame with equal volume of oxygen and acetylene cool it very slowly ( some people like to cool cast welds in sand but i never have )

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

by gas im assuming oxy/acet ?....and what rods...only rods ive used with those was fluxed brazing

9. MeAgain

I wouldn't call myself good at anything but I've dabbled with a lot of things over the years.

I used to carve leather and make purses and stuff, I still have a carved leather chessboard.
    I made a silver band ring from flat stock, worked in hammered aluminium, sheet copper, brass, and one time pewter.
    Cast aluminum.
    Little bit of wrought iron and machining.
    I've made wooden furniture, restored a house, carved primitive animal figures.

At one time I was pretty good on dirt bikes, but I'm too old for that now.
    Was a fair wrestler in high school and coached for years and with various other coaches and was part of a junior high team (as a coach) that was undefeated for three consecutive years, then I quit. Coached at a senior high with a team that went to states for two years and produced one state champ.

I used to fix cars and motorcycles, but that's too much work now.
    Never could water ski.

Wrote and acquired two educational grants, used to write stuff and post it here about various adventures of mine but it all disappeared years ago in one of the transitions.

Now I'm playing with ceramics, no wheel work as I suck at that, but I'm making slab stuff then I fire and glaze them and put them in a pile.
    Same with watercolor painting, I'm working on one now and waiting for the background to dry, I might finish it tomorrow then I'll throw it on the watercolor pile.

There's other stuff but not worth mentioning.
    I'm also very modest.

10. Rots in hell

Yeah mate ( I did say that ) use a white powder flux the one I use is made By sif you can mix it with water to make a paste if you like but I just run it in the weld pool I am assuming you know about the Onion shaped pool of molten parent metal ( thats how they describe it at school ) and the rods are simply square rods of malleable cast iron ( if you drop them they will shatter )
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. MeAgain

I welded an acetylene generator one time that I was stupid enough to buy to use on my self sufficient farm that I never got.
    It had a crack in the cast top so I heated it in a forge first then oxyacetylene welded it, turned out alright. But I never used it.

It worked by putting carbide pellets or dust or something in the top and then they would drip down into a tank of water which would cause them to generate acetylene gas in the tank above the water (same tank). There was a paddle to stir the mixture up.
    Then on top was a place for your gauge and regulator.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

12. Kinky Ramona

Kinky Ramona Back by popular demand!

I can make and shape pizza dough in a nearly perfect circle. That's all I got...

1 person likes this.
  13. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

I really like fashion. :)

14. mcme

mcme lurker

I make sawdust to pay the bills. IMG_20170605_084050105.jpg

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

go-to xxxsquirreltrans.com

machinist likes this.
  16. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

I can hand stand

17. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I have trophies in hockey, bowling, track, and a medal from a video game tournament. Now I wouldn't say I was skilled but I was better than the competition a few times.

18. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I can walk forever. If anyone needs a hiking buddy holler at your girl

Eric! likes this.
  19. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Me too! I always warn friends who agree to go on a walk with me. "My version of a walk is 6 miles or more, so please let me know when you want to turn around, because I can keep going forever."

Eric! and Meliai like this.
  20. themnax

themnax Senior Member