Brussels Terrorist Shot

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Mallyboppa, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

those belgian army dudes look like homeless bums (or hipsters)

1 person likes this.
  3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

If no one reacts (other than to stop or prevent such things) the impetus for terrorist attacks diminishes.

4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

That's like saying we can stop rape if nobody reacts to it

1 person likes this.
  5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The impetus for these attacks is, at least partly, to kill a few infidels and get a free pass into eternity as a reward. I'm not sure how a lack of reaction from us will make that less attractive.

1 person likes this.
  6. MeAgain

The purpose of terrorism is to create terror.
    The purpose of rape is coitus.
    A big difference.
    The killing of innocents is a means to obtaining terror, which is an attempt to influence politics. If terror can be achieve without killing, the results are the same.

Running about, wailing and moaning is what the terrorist want. They want the public to put pressure on their leaders to change some type of policy. If the public refuses to be intimidated, the terrorists have failed no matter how many they kill.

1 person likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Not all terrorism is strictly religiously motivated, much of it is political. Religion is just an easy tool to attract people. I would argue that it isnt so much our reaction but our proaction that spurs an increase in terrorism, ie our (the western world's) continuous and decades long presence in the middle east.

We do something, they react. They do something. We react. When does it end?

8. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

When armies or vigilantes start exterminating them. We've seen this before.

1 person likes this.
  9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Not really the simplest solution. Committing armies on a much larger scale than the current situation would likely lead to WWIII

Which I actually think is probably inevitable so I guess I can't really argue with you. I think the world has been marching in that direction for the last 20 years. Actually probably more like since the partition of the Ottoman empire

10. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

this IS world war 3...most people just havent realized it yet

2 people like this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I think so too

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Politics and religion seem to be inexorably intertwined when talking about terrorism. The dude shouted "Allahu Akbar" so I just assumed a religious motivation but I don't really know. For that matter, I'm assuming the guy had some kind of connection to Islamic countries, but he could a 'home grown' moron.

If you're saying we shouldn't be militarily involved in the middle east I agree. I would go even farther and say we shouldn't be involved in the region at all. For me, the greatest attraction of eliminating, or greatly reducing, our need for oil would be watching the oil rich nations go broke. I also would like us to stop propping up Israel.

Btw, anyone see the news about the lady who was arrested in Saudi Arabia because she wore a miniskirt and sleeveless top in public? And every president kisses Saudi ass. That would change under a tumbling.dice administration.

13. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

Precisely, there is no "simple" solution to this issue. Rolling over sure doesn't seem to be working. Consider the accounts of the attack on the Bataclan. The islamic terrorists sealed the doors and conned the police into backing off under the guise of murdering their hostages. This bought them plenty of time to torture their hostages and castrate the men they were holding as well.

There is no "reasoning" with people who will do such things. They have already committed to being the very worst they can be. So all of this talk of "if we don't react they'll eventually get bored and go home" is a sheer fantasy. Also, when you think of it, the sort of world wars we saw in the 20th century aren't on the horizon and haven't been for decades. The Cold War, Korea, Vietnam (US and France) and even the Toyota War (Chad/Libya) are closer to modern reality.

It's sort of like these so-called "anarchists" who seek violent political protests, only, they have clearly chosen a side. REAL anarchists would be attacking both sides, so this latest crop is a con game, political manipulation with a fat budget (how else could they have coordinated wardrobes and professionally printed placards).

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Uhm guys, our nations are already at war with IS. You didn't notice?

Or do you mean something else with 'them'? The unfortunate thing about terrorist cells/groups in western nations is that you don't know who they are until they done it. Bit hard to exterminate then. There's a combined effort that is busy 'exterminating' the fake caliphate though and its making progress :cheers2:
    I agree of course this doesn't stop terrorism as a whole but its a much needed start to stabilize the middle eastern region and bring clarity of how faulty IS was (also by islamic standards), also for potential extremists. The best way to stop future terrorists from becoming one is by making them see our democratic societies (not just talking about western societies here: they're not the only ones subject to fundamental terrorism) are not as bad as living in a distorted caliphate

15. MeAgain

It's not that we shouldn't react to terrorism, we should fight it, but we shouldn't allow ourselves to be terrorized.

16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's not exactly the same as 'rolling over'.

We should not give them what they want to get out of these attacks (and yes they primarily want to spread terror and disturb our societies. It seems for a large part to create anti-muslim sentiment here which will be acted upon, which in return will give them new fighters and sympathizers. You know the game: polarisation). Fully agreed.

17. MeAgain

Terrorist are vigilantes in most cases, they act without government sanction. If a government sanctions violence, as in a war, then they aren't committing terrorist acts. They may be committing war crimes, but not terrorism.

As laws are the hallmark of civilization, promoting vigilantism is anti productive.