Useful Tips Learn.... Something New Every Day....let's Hear Yours

Discussion in 'Games and Contests' started by Moonglow181, Jun 16, 2017.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

That stocky stuff that gets left behind from tape..

My new rug wouldn't sit at the corners, so I got some double sided sticky tape, removing it was awful!

Get a cheap can of lighter gas, spray it on the residue that's left, comes off so easy you wouldn't believe!

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

Put Witch Hazel in your drains that you dont use much .. say a spare bathroom. This will eliminate dry drain and sewer gas - Witch Hazel dont evaporate as quickly as water, you can also use baby oil.

3. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

When done drying your hands with paper towel in a public bathroom:

Use another clean towel in your hand to pull/push bathroom door open.

YouFreeMe and morrow like this.
  4. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

If you want to clean a really dirty microwave, run the microwave with a bowl of water in it until the water boils (5 minutes is usually safe) and then leave the microwave closed for a few minutes. BOOM. The caked on gunk on the insides will slide right off.

scratcho likes this.
  5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Never thought of the shaving cream on glasses but use it all the time on my hockey helmet viser.

6. puggybear

puggybear stars may twinkle-but I shine!

Never rob a Chinese restaurant.

...because an hour later,you'll fancy robbing another...

7. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Storing a seasonal use gasoline engine, drain all fuel and run it dry, or add fuel stabilizer to the gasoline and run it through the intake system.

8. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Who needs butter when you can put lemon juice on almost everything? :)

9. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

10. Song of the South

Song of the South Members

If you really have to pee and there is a giant spider in the bathroom, just go squat over your cat's litter box. If you don't have a cat, piss in the trash can or outside. But steer clear of the bathroom because spiders are creepy af and can't be trusted.

mcme and scratcho like this.
  11. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Wait, so spiders have feelings too, and deserve to live a good life, so you should let them take over your bathroom??? Now there's a useful tip! :confused2: And that'll work until you need to vacate the whole house.

My tip is to keep a working can of ant & roach killer handy and a spare on hand. Just a quick short spray to the target, no need to use half the can and fog your breathing air with chemicals. For spiders, I take one square of toilet paper, grab it with that, pop it and drop it in the trash. But I operate on logic and recognize that may not work for superstitious people.

Another tip is to piss outside anyway, to reduce water usage.

wilsjane likes this.
  12. Song of the South

Yeah, it was a joke, lol. Not really meant to be taken quite so seriously.

13. Song of the South

Tip for any fish who happen to be reading this: always stay hydrated.

wilsjane and Orison like this.
  14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

tease a spider to make it rain.

why would you need to vacate your house because of spiders. amonia cleansers remove ant highways.
    the way to prevent insect colonization is to avoid creating environments that encourage them.

15. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Microwaves are fine when used properly. Heating food at a low setting for 6 to 8 minutes gives good results, but 1 minute on full power destroys the flavor and texture and leaves invisible burning that can be a health risk.
    The higher settings are only suitable for heating liquids and large loads.
    It is the same as not putting a thumb tack in with a sledge hammer.
    People often do more damage to food by overheating it in a Teflon coated pan and assuming that because it does not stick, it it not damaged..

16. wilsjane

Back when our daughter was 6, one freezing winters day she was unusually quiet and running up and down the stairs. When I enquired what she was doing, she told me that the poor little spiders in the garden were cold and she was bringing them in and putting them to bed. Being winter, their were no spiders and what she was taking upstairs were ants.
    She was not stupid though. She was putting them in our bed, not hers.
    She is over 30 now and we still laugh about it today.

17. wilsjane

Spiders do not bother me, unless a female lays her eggs and the house if full of them. Like our cat keeps the mice away, spiders get rid of many far less desirable insects.

I also kept bees in my younger days and they were better than any guard dog.
    Last year our daughter was called to a tower block (she is now a London police officer) where someone had decided to keep a hive on his balcony and the bees had swarmed due to the heat and overcrowding.
    When she arrived, other officers were running around with towels over their heads evacuating 200 residents. She told them not to be crazy, stop waving their arms like windmills add no one would get stung.
    By the time a bee keeper arrived to collect the swarm, she had about 50 people sitting and calmly watching.
    Films like 'Killer Bees' chose bees simply because swarming bees do not sting the actors. Their is no other reason.

This may interest you. Like many medical procedures it was discovered by accident in 1916 during WW!. Soldiers whose wounds became maggot infested lived, while those where the doctors had killed the maggots with disinfectant were dyeing from septicemia.
    They are still used in hospitals today and eat dead flesh to the boundary with living tissue far more accurately than any surgeons scalpel. The treatment is rarely discussed and sometimes even the patient is unaware that maggots have been inserted in a wound.

18. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Looks grotesque to me but does work.
    I let the spiders thrive outdoors but don't tolerate them or any other insects inside which of course eliminates any usefulness for them.
    I keep threatening to get a hive. It's very beneficial to the environment and the local honey helps stave off allergies. It's on "the list".
    Good on your daughter. And you.

wilsjane likes this.
  19. wilsjane

Ha.ha. we do not have a house full of spiders, but the odd one does not bother us. particularly if she is in the porch area and cutting off the insects.
    Bees are fun, but you need to understand them. For some edible honey, you need a queen excluder on the top few frames to prevent brood cells that make the honey taste like sewage. You will also need to know how to re-hive a swarm if the queen allows a virgin queen to fly during an overcrowded summer.

When Christina was young, she spent a lot of time with Jane's friend miles from anywhere. She adopted a stray Rottweiler who went everywhere with her and one night she let one of the sows into her bedroom. When she woke up, the sow showed off her half a dozen piglets that arrived during the night. Seeking shelter is normal for sows before giving birth, to prevent the foxes helping with the birth and eating the piglets.
    Life in the country is so different from city life. Where they lived, their was no gas water, electricity or sewage and needless to say, no television or internet.
    People expecting a phone caal would walk 4 miles to the nearest village and wait for the phone to ring at the public call-box.
    David Putnam's film "A Local Hero" featured this somewhat bizarre ritual, but a lot or the audience had little idea what was going on.
    Whereas, we were on the Atlantic coast of Ireland, the film (a true story) was set in a remote part of Scotland.

This is where Christina developed her great love of animals, an interest that she shares with me. Jane is not a great animal lover, but has no problem with all of them except the bees. LMAO.

Ireland-Dunguaire-Castle.-County-Galway.jpg

20. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I adore the bees...and love when they are around me outside, and they never bother me, as i am always calm around them and appreciate them....

I have been collecting bee things, too, for quite awhile now.....and a couple of years ago i sent my brother a bee themed birthday card, and it is one of the only cards i ever sent him that he made a great fuss about...loving it....and told me how important bees are for the environment.

I also like spiders....and gently capture them and put them back outside when they are in here....

I like most insects.....but the cockroaches, ticks and mosquitoes can keep their distance......

I don't want anything to feed on me at all.

I can appreciate sharing things and inspirations....but don't feed on me or psychic vampiring me.

or I will butt anyone who does this off like a lunatic...just a sidenote.

wilsjane likes this.