Useful Tips Learn.... Something New Every Day....let's Hear Yours

Discussion in 'Games and Contests' started by Moonglow181, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Today I received one of The Little golden books I ordered and I paid a good penny for this one....one called Donald Duck and Santa Claus from 1952. The covers or not have been drawing me into some of them. So far, I have not had a problem...The golden books I bought came odor free and in good shape, but today, I smelled the mildew right away ....on this 1952 one.....otherwise in good condition. I am sure that anyone who has ever collected books, knows the odor.

So I did some research and here is what I learned....and it made the most sense to me...Every one else I read was talking about disguising the odor....but one person made the most sense to me. She said you must kill the mildew....so here is what you do....
    You can put any book with the problem or many books with this problem in for the same solution all at once or one at a time....

You take your mildewy book or books and put it or them in a ziplock plastic bag and sprinkle baking soda all around it and in some of the pages to absorb the odor....Then you air tight seal your bag and put it in the freezer for at least one week....longer for stronger mildew problems...less for a tint of a mildew odor...problem....and you leave it there....this will kill the mildew and the odor will go with the baking soda.....

Take out your book in a week or so.....brush away all of the baking soda into a garbage can and voila!...good as new...she says....so my book is now in the freezer for at least one week. Will let you know how it turns out.

Song of the South, MeAgain and fundoo like this.
  2. fundoo

fundoo Members

baking soda is wonderful!! so many good uses! you know you can put it in your fridge too to eliminate odors?? Well, just dont eat it then...or make sure it is sealed if you do (man i need to take my advice! though i do keep the lid down, thinking maybe i ought to keep it sealed in a ziplock now)

but yeah, works great for washing dreads :D, or just deep cleaning almost anything! brightening whites...um...

oh! and did you know, onions also have this absorbancy quality?? yeah, so be sure to keep them covered so they don't take on dangerous food odors or whatnots from the fridge.

the more you know!!!

:p

1 person likes this.
  3. Moonglow181

Yeah, baking soda is a must in households and so is vinegar....another must.....

I buy my basic cat litter at the family dollar store and add an entire box of baking soda every time I change the litter box......but I do it in layers...pour some cat litter in..... then a thin coat of baking soda....pour more cat litter in, another thin layer of baking soda, until I fill the litter box. It sure makes a litter box that 4 cats share here last longer than without the baking soda would.... :D

1 person likes this.
  4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

so can i layer it into the cat food?...make them stink less?

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

^..... Cats Don't Stink "Spaceballs".....If There's A Foul Odour In The Neighbourhood Look No Further

Than The Undies You Have Been Wearing For The Last 10 Days.....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

wilsjane likes this.
  6. Moonglow181

Here is another useful tip...you can polish sterling silver with any commercial brand of tooth paste and a clean toothbrush.

7. Moonglow181

I have a book of these useful tips with every day household items somewhere. i should look for it and repeat some of them here.

Hey, how are you doing, fundoo?

:)

8. Moonglow181

I don't know the result of the golden books yet....as they are all in the freezer still. I am afraid to find out. They smelled so badly. yes, my one badly mildewed book became many....as my mailman wanted to know what I was buying, as he always asks, and he asked Stan this day.....and Stan told him Golden books,....Mailman said i have several I have had forever.....Do you want to buy them? I will bring them over for you to look at them.
    He said he had 70 of them and we could have them for $100.00....so Stan says to him..."I will buy them for her..."....and comes in and tells me. I was ..."Thank you....you are always so good to me....but shit....!What if I don't want them....and Stan says to me...."Well, it is a way of giving him a good tip, too....no matter what happens. I was not able to give him a good tip this passed Christmas..." I said ok...so the mailman comes back with his wife one evening...and all are great books....but they ALL STANK of mildew....very badly....so all of them are in the freezer now.....and in a few days.....it will be 2 weeks.....and then I will find out if freezing them worked. If not, I don't know what I will do with them.....

Song of the South likes this.
  9. Moonglow181

Mailman deserved a good tip....as he drives in all kinds of weather on a private road he does not have to to give door service. Other mailman have just left notices in our mailbox that something needed to be picked up at the PO, if something was too big for the box.

10. Moonglow181

Also, I have read that you can put mildewed books in a microwave...not for very long...but I don't have a microwave....as I don't want a microwave oven.
    I don't believe in them.

11. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if i can learn half the tips in creative shrimp's latest tutorial on uv unwrapping, i will find them very useful indeed.

oh printed material with pages stuck together can be soaked until easily separated and then dried on separate stick resistant blotters.
    (in case you should ever happen to find a new dead sea scroll, or a pile of mud that turns out to be stacks and stacks of old narrow gauge railroad way bills,
    or some other collection of discarded printed material)

the toothpaste thing reminds me you can use it to grind small gears to make them mesh easier and more freely.
    (but if you don't completely remove it once you get them where you want them, it will keep grinding them until they have no teeth to mesh with left, or aren't long enough to reach to do so)

i clean my eyeglasses with shaving cream.

12. fundoo

fundoo Members

Just had a train wreck of multiple posts in another thread, so switched from mobile version to multiquote and we'll, I only had one then I just added the second.

Hello!! :) I'm doing alright. (Honestly, had had some rough days recently, but thinking positively today. Yay! Lol)

The microwave thing. Ah yes! Good for you if you can live without it! I've heard it's not so healthy. Unfortunately, I don't want to live without it. So used to the convenience. But I have a hot meal ready from the stove almost every other day, sometimes daily. My roommate" unfortunately depends on the microwave at work, and sometimes for dinner. Hmm, actually, this might be a special thing I could work on though to show my appreciation to my "roommate". Stove heat or cook fresh meals nightly. Yeah, will see how that goes. At least it is in my mind now. :)

13. Moonglow181

The oven here is used every day to cook for the dogs, and after I taught Stan, he has taken over baking their meats every night for them for the next day..........I don't cook for us humans all of the time....I do wind up making many salads and things of that nature, though. Cooking a meal for the humans here is a rare treat ....:D

Anyway, I am going to sit outside and see about those books now,. I am tired of them taking up all of the room in the freezer....so i have to go outside to brush off baking soda in a garbage bag out there...I am hoping they are odor free......over 2 weeks now for all of them....I will let you know later how it went.

14. Moonglow181

I took about one third of the books out of the freezer for today....and they still smell some what...not as bad as before where the odor amost knocked me out......so they are all spread out in the sun now. I will leave the rest in the freezer for another day now.

15. Moonglow181

ok, what is it 3 weeks later since I last posted here?

Those 70 books are still in my freezer.....I have been avoiding them....as the ones i took out still smell....and i will have tons of books that still smell.....and I just want to dump them in the garbage........so I have done nothing....but I need to get them out of my freezer today....as I need my freezer space back.....so what do i do with them...throw them in a paper bag now, I guess.....and put the m in my shed....and think about it for another 100 years.....

OK, mailman....you got a wonderful tip......That should take care of this Christmas also......

16. Moonglow181

ummmmm

excuse me......

maybe it is you that is on the money, honey.

17. Moonglow181

WOW! So no more odor on the books I just took out, so put the first batch back in there.....so good things do happen. It just took a month, I guess.

18. BeachBall

BeachBall Nosey old moo

If you're wearing your shortest mini skirt, don't roll your car into a ditch ...

19. Song of the South

Song of the South Members

If your pipes are leaking under your sink, tips to fix it:

1). Get a screwdriver.
    2). After you finish drinking your screwdriver, call a plumber.

20. Moonglow181