What Is Your Mental Illness

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by abarambling, Jun 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I started with insomnia but I wanted treatment for anxiety too. I knew alcohol temporarily made it go away.

The only stuff that works is the benzodiazapines but not for long and then you need them just to treat the worse anxiety they cause.

The "non addictive" shit doesn't work. Maybe one person will pop up and say it worked for them but they are an anomaly and it was likely the placebo effect.

The like the term "non addictive" but ALL there drugs can cause make you sick withdrawal reactions.

They sort of have success treating other problems but anxiety unless it is really bad it is a sucker bet those "medications"

[​IMG]

It sucks but it is true. Read the anxiety section of any mental health forum. Success stories are very rare but 'they made me worse' stories are common. Hate to be a bummer but it is reality. They have not figured out a treatment yet but they won't admit it.

2. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

A psychologist in preference to a psychiatrist - I would be very wary of psychologists - they're just not clinicians

3. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

I had no idea you'd been through all that Irm. I'm just glad you have this forum to come to and meet all kinds of zany people and be diverted from ruminative thoughts.

((((((((((((((( Irminsul )))))))))))))))))

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Dead doctors don't lie

5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You, people. :D

6. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

The most mis-diagnosed and OVER Diagnosed mental illnesses in America over the past decade or so.........

Asperger's

Autism

Bipolar

Depression

ADHD...or ADD..or whatever the fuck they try to slap on some kids for acting like, well....kids. LOL

7. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

You really think you have Bipolar disorder?

From what you have said in your post, I do not think you do.

Granted, I am not a doctor. I have only an MA in Psych. And I have a Bipolar family member. She was diagnosed in her late teens, when the vast majority of clinical Bipolar I cases ARE. (well, used to be, anyway, till they began over-DXing BP about two decades ago.

Did you ever have any full-on manic episodes? Where you needed no sleep for days at a time? And you maybe went on unbridled spending sprees? Engaged in highly impulsive acts? Like driving across country to see an old friend?

I am guessing no. I may be wrong. Please tell me if I am. But these sort of manic episodes are MADATORY for a true DX of Bipolar. This in accordance with the DSM-IV(R). The difference in the lengths of thes episodes and their frequency will specify for the diff. between a DX of BP I or BP II. Also their severity, as in whether or not psychosis is attendant with the mania. But in either case....you gotta have the mania.

There is also (**sigh**) yet another grade of Bipolar now, called Cyclothymia. Where all you have to do is pretty much say you're moody and you can get slapped with that cool label and get some sexy psychotropic drugs! Yaaahhh!!

LOL

Your doc sounded like a true Quack. Creativity a sign of Bipolar? Please. Creativity is a sign of being creative. Probably one in a hundred (if that) creative people are Bipolar. Your doc was swayed by the fact that there have been several well-known artists in the past who were Bipolar. (maybe. Some lived so long ago we cannot be sure.) He was also no doubt influenced by a book written about 25 years ago by a Bipolar psychologist named Kay Jameson. It was called "Touched by Fire" and told of past artists and musicians with BP.

But there is a difference between a corollary and a causal factor.

If you're satissified with you BP diagnosis---a lot of people LIKE it...they consider it a "sexy" disease--then fine. If the meds you are on for it help you, then fine. But, man, if you are in any way questioning or not happy with the DX or your meds and the side effects--which all meds have--then I sure would advise a 2nd opine, bro.

Hope this helps.

8. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

That's somewhat true but I would remind you know nothing about me besides a few exchanges we have had on here. and I would guess you also are not trained to make that judgement call

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's not that I think I am, it's what I was diagnosed with and yes, the money spending and my 2hr average sleep pattern daily all add up to BP.

Spending money is about what I do correctly, I can spend like a mofo on anything and everything, even something small makes me feel better inside for a little while. Spending is like a distraction to my other problems, I don't have problems when I'm in line all giddy to buy something it's a completely different chemical interaction yet once I have purchased something in my hand, I can easily throw it on the table at home and never look at it, like Xmas gifts I bought myself 3 years ago are still wrapped waiting to be opened.

I erratically travel at the thought of it no questions asked. I'll spend the money on tickets and be happy and then totally down until the trip comes and then when it does, I'll curse myself and everything around me because I have to all a sudden get moving.

I don't have a problem with the diagnosis at all and if anything it only helped me realise okay there's reasons for why I am the way I am.

You gotta spend time around me to realise it but, I'm a total nutcase with many schizophrenic traits too, I'm often never myselfX I'll actively live another life every day, done that since childhood thought I had a good imagination "always with the fairies" the teachers said, even my partner says it's unbelievable how my mind actually works, or doesn't work, or the fact that in 15 seconds I've started 4 conversations with myself that have nothing to do with anything yet I can continue these conversations to my personalities and have a real good time with it.

I am my utmost best friend.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I should also say I dont feel for better or worse because of it, it's just life now.

But for things said before I was thinking while trying to take a nap, certain people have different pain tolerances, right? So if I pinch one person it might be a 2/10 but to the next person it could be a 8/10 so I was thinking in regards to the comment of "I hate the term mild" is there a chance that a mild severity disease is the exact same thing someone else goes through but they can't tolerate t as much so to them it is "severe" so what I'm trying to ask is, is a possibility that in terms of how well you cope with it is just down to our individual selfs and what we can and can't tolerate as a person? And if so, would surely negate the argument of "mild" cases aren't important.

11. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I thought there wasn't a cure for mental illness.

Congrats, on the being mentally ill anymore. That's crazy.

12. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I actually agree with you there. So many people think because they have ONLY EXPERIENCED something that they have the right to lecture others about it. Here is this person who has depression, so they make all these videos about depression solely because they have experienced or is experiencing it. They're not a professional by any means. They probably only did some Wiki research. But, here they are talking about depression, like they know shit.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that people who make videos like this are just trying to open a line of discussion. They think if they openly talk about these things, others will follows, and there won't be such a stigma about it. Also, regardless of them not being professionals... they do have some knowledge to give.

HOWEVEER, there are some Youtubers that totally do it for the views. They're not doing it because they think sharing their experiences will help others. They're just doing it to get money off Youtube. For example, I saw a video of a girl channeling all 18 or whatever of her personalities, because she has Dissociative Disorder.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And you can make money from that????

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

im a normal person that visits forums that are full of people with mental illness

if thats an illness i have it bad

1 person likes this.
  15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

-inserts generic get a life response-

:D

1 person likes this.
  16. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Personally, maybe I'm being a bitch for this, but I ONLY think something is a mental illness when there is a proper diagnosis. Like you go to doctor, whatever mental health doctor you want to go to. They test you, whether it's through talking or physical and/or written exams, etc. And they give you a diagnosis. I think this way because so many people self-diagnosed themselves. For example, whenever I tell someone that I want to get testing for Asperger's or autism, they often times talk about how they have a mild form of it. And I get excited, because I think they actually got properly diagnosed, but no... it's a self-diagnosis. So many people think they have some form of autism or Asperger's these days. I understand why. It's because of all these shows and movies that portray a particular person that has autism/Asperger's. And when we watch these characters we relate to them. We think to ourselves, "Oh, I do that! I do that too! Maybe I have autism." But, at the end of day... just because you feel, think, do some of things that person who have this diagnosis also feels, thinks, and does... doesn't mean you have the same diagnosis. That's the whole point of a proper mental diagnosis, to answer the question of how many of the things on this list do you think, feel, and do? If you do a certain amount you are whatever mental illness, or if you do less of that amount... you're not. Because when it comes to meatal illness we can feel, think, and do a lot of things that fall under different diagnosis', but what makes us have it... is whether we do a certain amount from the list. So, say 10 out fo the 20 things.

I'm going to be honest here. This is one thing I have not told anyone on here. And you guys should know that I'm a honest person. Here is goes, I don't like showering. I'm not good at keeping up with my hypiene. Currently, I have not taken a shower in like a month. And I have been going out and going to work. People have been close to me, hugged me, etc. When you think of that you automatically think GROSS, but after that you think Asperger's. But, that trait falls under major depression, schizophrenia, and I think even Body Dysmorphia... because I think they don't like seeing themselves naked, or something. Point is, there are a ton of mental illnesses that have this sign. Also, there is a movement in which people don't take showers often because they claim that the body can self-cleanse, and it also saves the earth. And of course, there is just downright laziness.

Point is, this is hard to do on your own, if you truly have a mental illness. If you have a mental illness, you wouldn't be controlling it on your own. You wouldn't easily be able to self-diagnose. The human condition experiences sadness, loneliness, isolation, anxiety, etc. It's the sucky part about being a human. But, it's also the great part. So, just because you experience these things doesn't automatically mean you have a mental illness. You are as they say... a well-adjusted person, that experiences a few things that falls under a few different mental illnesses. Don't get me wrong, everyone benefits from therapy, but not everyone has a mental illness. Think of it like this, not everyone has cancer. But, everyone has symptoms of cancer like tenderness, headaches, fatigue, etc. But, just because you have these synptoms doesn't mean you have cancer. And of course, everyone benefits from an anneul visit because you never fucking know.

Again, maybe I'm being a bitch. Maybe I'm being biased because I was studying to be a social worker a long ass time ago.

I completely underand and agree that we know ourselves more than any professional would.

17. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

^^^^^^^^^^

Pretty much true. As I said before, too many people--including mental health professionals who are alleged to be accurate in DX-ing psychological maladies, confuse the "corollary" with the "casual." That is to say, just because somebody exhibits an action or cognitive processing or ideology that is sometimes one that is found in a clinical mental illness, this does not mean for certain that said person actually HAS the disease.

Like you and showers. Sure, schizophrenics and the clinically depressed are often notorious for their aversion to hygiene. But so are some perfectly normal people who simply feel comfortable going for longer-than-normal periods without bathing. I happen to be of the opinion that most Americans today are overly obsessed with cleaning themselves, anyway. It wasn't like this until the past few decades. Back in the, and up to the, say, 18th century or so, even upper class folks would bathe only once a month or so.

The human body also secretes natural oils and antibiotics that render daily bathing totally unnecessary.

I'm reminded here of my time back when I was in the Navy and attached to a Carrier Group Squadron. On those older aircraft carriers--especially when we were anchored offshore, i.e. "in port" the showers..the fresh water system sucked. It didn't do a very good job filtering out the JP5 that was spilled into the surrounding water. (JP5 is jet fuel, btw). So...one would usually come out of a shower smelling far worse than he did before. It was probably a good idea not to smoke right after a shower, too. LOL

18. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

True that I do not know you nearly well-enough to make an accurate DX.

And true that I am not a trained and licensed diagnostician.

But if I may be so bold as to be allowed to defend my creds just a bit.....I DID do my Master's Thesis on "The Propensity of Over-Diagnosing Mood Disorders in America." (Bipolar, depression, and the others mentioned in the OP are referred to as Mood Disorders in the DSM.)

Uh...I would be remiss at this point if I did not boast that I received an "A" on this thesis. My prof & thesis advisors also got my thesis published in a peer-reviewed journal. Just sayin'.

LOL

Thanks for asking.

Cheers.

19. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I didn't assume that everyone on here is suffering from a mental illness. I was asking the ones that are, whether it's a self-diagnosis or clinical base diagnosis. I want to here the thoughts and feelings of anyone that is willing to post.

20. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Fucking cute!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.