Elena Or Ellena; Which One Is Correct?

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by abarambling, Jun 15, 2017.

1. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I feel like they're both correct, depending on where you live. If you live in Greece, then it's Ellena. In the U.S, it's Elena.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

*Mind blown*

3. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

The same could be said about
    Helena
    OR
    Hellena

Being both correct just different local.

Helena Bonham Carter is English
    Hellena Taylor is British

4. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

I've only ever seen Elena.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

And Jelena

1 person likes this.
  6. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

When I visited England in 1983 I saw Tracy spelled as Tracey - horsy as horsey - gully as gulley

and (solecism alert filed) chilli and chillies for chili and chilis. They had no idea it was Spanish.

(also Don Quicksote) for Don Kee hote (just try to imagine the acute accent on the terminal e) (they thought it was a brand of creosote)

7. abarambling

abarambling Banned

My middle name is Ellena. And whenever I tell someone that's how it spells, they think my middle name that is in my birth certificate is spelled wrong. So, after so many years of getting that reaction... I finally decided to ask a forum about it. So, that's why I asked you guys. I read a lot of your shit, and you guys write really well.

8. fundoo

fundoo Members

lol Helena was going to be my answer for the correct way to spell the thread name. :D

My answer (above) is just in jest. I like Helena because of the song. :p
    But in seriousness, Ellena is a nice name...but maybe the birth certificate IS wrong! i kid! i kid! ;)

Not at all meaning to be impolite, but whats this have to do with writing??

1 person likes this.
  9. themnax

themnax Senior Member

no way of spelling a name is more or less correct then another. though may reflect what part of the world or country they were born in.
    i guess you could say more or less correct in the context of where they were born, where their parents lived when they decided to name her.
    example my own mundane last name has at least five different way's it can be 'correctly' spelled. only one of them, of course is actually me.
    but then, depending on how far back in my genealogy, it has been spelled different ways too!