How Do You Write A Song?

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by icebear, Jun 15, 2017.

1. icebear

icebear Members

I'm just wondering how can I write a song, so I come here to hear your voices.

I love music very much and I'd like to have my own song, an inspiring song would be fine.

Can you give me any tips? Thanks in advance.

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Do you play an instrument. It helps but not absolutely necessary. To start with keep a notebook and write down stuff that you're feeling. Can be odd rhymes or poetic images that go somewhere for you. Doesn't have to be stuffy though. It's your song you can say whatever you like?

Write a chorus. That's the repetitive hook that can be as little as four lines. A hook is the catchy bit that people want to hear again and again. It can rhyme but it doesn't have to.

Try to come up with a simple melody. Just play with your voice and your lyrics together. Try not to judge yourself or make negative comparisons with your famous artists.

Next comes the verses and eventually the "bridge", which helps break up the song and give it interest, often on a key change. You don't need to knockout keys yet. A song can break the rules completely or you can go for established structures.

A good basic structure is a simple three chord blues with a turnaround. Take three chords like E A and B, which are very easy to learn on a guitar. B 7 is often easier to finger than B major.

If you're just starting out you can get a cheap Casio keyboard which will have pre set drum beats to help you keep time.

Don't be afraid of the happy accident that will come out of nowhere and inspire you.

Obviously listen to how you've favourite artists do it. It's okay to steal a little.

Bob Dylan said a simple tune on the penny whistle can be a song. Sometimes simplicity is beauty.

1 person likes this.
  3. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

I'd ask Bruce Johnston cos as he puts it ...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hz16lpf4ds

4. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRhJt3PLdUE

"It doesn't matter what I say
    So long as I sing with inflection
    That makes you feel I'll convey
    Some inner truth or vast reflection
    But I've said nothing so far
    And I can keep it up for as long as it takes
    And it don't matter who you are
    If I'm doing my job then it's your resolve that breaks

Because the hook brings you back
    I ain't tellin' you no lie
    The hook brings you back
    On that you can rely"
    C/S,
    Rev J

2 people like this.
  5. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I'd like to know myself tbf...I've tried to write a few songs before & they've been pretty awful in their awfullnness, lol

6. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Sometimes awfulness is a talented reaction to a profoundly sick music industry

rjhangover likes this.
  7. Scratched

Scratched Members

It's kind of hard to explain....just start with a quiet room, a candle, a buzz and something in particular in mind. Maybe something you've observed in life, or a situation you've encountered, your feelings, etc. and just roll with it.

Keep in mind that you can change things, don't expect perfection at the beginning. Just roll with it.

8. Grasschild

Grasschild Members

Depends on what you're trying to write.

9. icebear

icebear Members

I can play the guitar. Thanks for your help. I also feel simplicity is beauty since I find some songs have simple melodies but sound wonderful.

10. icebear

icebear Members

Thanks a lot.

11. icebear

icebear Members

That's right, erh, maybe it's about encourging people to live their life.

12. Scratched

Scratched Members

Sure thing...good luck...just let it roll.

13. Grasschild

Grasschild Members

I think it's about expressing their absolute selves. Consequences be damned.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Since I'm a pretty imaginative person I find being a lyricist very fun and I've written some things for friends local bands etc. as well as have an EP folk recording that I made with 3 friends where I provided back up vocals.

Anyhoo. One thing that's hard for me is to write lyrics to a tune I haven't heard yet. So I've always wondered do people write the music first? Even with fake music like rap etc. I can't write a rap without the music.

15. Scratched

Scratched Members

I write lyrics first, then find a riff or two and play around it all.

But I suppose one could do otherwise too.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But don't you need the music to be able to sing to the tune? :D

17. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I often find a few chords in the guitar and simply hum a melody, rather than immediately try to set words. Then I can try to set the words.

18. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Exactly. See. You need a tune first! :)

19. Scratched

Scratched Members

Of course, that's why they call it Music, not just a tune. Lyrics plus music= A Song.

See how easy that was?

20. I don't know if I can write songs any more. I've kind of turned a blind eye to my own personality. So I guess that's what you need, a desire to express that personal side of you.