Can You Be To Old For Mushroom Trips ?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Jun 11, 2017.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I took these things many times in my late teens and 20s but now I am older and wonder how I would react.

Does a head full of grownup stuff ruin it ?

2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't believe you can be "too old" for Mushrooms. You may have more responsibilities and what not to take into consideration but I don't think there is any significant increase in physical concerns that you should be worried about. I can very well envision that some may even be more appreciative and find the Mushroom Experience more profound when they are older.

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It's not an age thing, more so a mindset thing. In which age (as in a different part of your life with different worries and thoughts) COULD make a difference.
    I don't even have a head full of grown up stuff and responsibilities but Im done with shrooms. Friends of mine have plenty of such responsibilities and 'grown up concerns' yet still love to plan a psych trip every now and then.
    Im extremely glad I had a few mushroom trips, but I don't see me enjoying them ever again to the same extent. Rather smoke some heavy (close to psychedelic) pot myself :cheers2:

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

In both the UK and the USA medical trials are under way where psilocybin is being used to treat end of life anxiety in people with terminal illness. I'm not quite that far gone just yet, but I can see how that would work.

I'd agree with most of that, but actually now I've hit 60, I have far less in the way of external concerns, responsibilities and ties.
    I'm not absolutely sure if there are or are not any medical conditions which might impinge on the experience, I'm not aware of any, but might be an idea to do a little research if you were worried about that.

Otherwise I'd say it's probably the perfect thing for those who are getting older. It's a crime that the authorities want to withhold this unique and valuable medicine from people who might get immense benefit from using it sensibly.

1 person likes this.
  5. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

thats like asking if someone is too old to run.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

The last batch of Shrooms I got was from someone around your age, I could see that.

I've usually always been one to heed set and setting when exploring psychedelics, however I started taking shrooms around the same age as OP and I remember some friends practically taking them on a whim.

1 person likes this.
  7. Asmodean

It depends on the knees?

1 person likes this.
  8. Asmodean

Lol yeah: same here. Sometimes its better NOT to follow your perhaps experienced friends example and go with your own gut instinct :)

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

No, I dont think so. I've never really looked at mushrooms as just something you do for fun though, i've always viewed them as a powerful tool for mental, emotional, and spiritual discovery

I actually tripped for the first time in several years a couple of months ago.it was by far the most uncomfortable trip I've ever had as I had a lot of fear and anxiety (a result of all those adult responsibilities) to work through the first half of the trip before I could really let go and enjoy myself. It was a very beneficial trip though.

1 person likes this.
  10. BlackBillBlake

I first took them when I was about 20. Before then they weren't really known about here in the UK. When we first discovered them, me and a couple of friends did launch ourselves on a bit of a mushroom binge.

But that didn't last, and I've had fairly long breaks from doing any psychedelics over the course of many years. I fully agree that set and setting are crucial, and I'd say a general attitude of respect for the experience. Mushies seem to be quite forgiving, but if you abuse them or do them at the wrong time or in the wrong situation they can bite back hard.

I think for oldsters 'recreational' use in the sense of just wanting to have fun would be a big mistake. The way I see it it's more a mix of a therapeutic/self exploratory thing. The benefits for older people with no history of psychedelic use might be had more in some kind of structured, I hesitate to say 'medicalized' context. Partly that's because of all the negative propaganda surrounding them which I know has a grip on many people. Maybe that could produce an exaggerated fear or something similar. Different if it's administered by a health care person in a managed context. Or I suppose if you knew experienced and trusted people who were prepared to look after you. Albert Hoffman said he would have liked to see something like meditation centres where people could go and safely have the psychedelic experience. I'd go with that. Especially in the case of older people.

1 person likes this.
  11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

most old people have figured out what is important in life

and a short trip to an unknown place is not usually high on that list

..unless they are an old fuck-up

12. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Hey Bill - I have a very very dear friend who is contemplating 'Medical Assistance in Dying' a local government-approved program. However, two physicians have to agree and one of them noted that since she'd recently started anti-depressants they hadn't had a chance to kick in yet (I assume they're SSRIs). It would be interesting to see how psilocybin would affect her. She's in hospital miles from me and I only get down to see her about once/week. When I'm with her for a couple of hours it's the only time in my week when I don't feel guilty for not being with her. Her sister has power of attorney so all her needs are taken care of apart from her sadness.

13. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

uh! . . .right!

14. BlackBillBlake

Albert Hoffman, chemist and discoverer of LSD did it for the last time when he was in his late 90's. Clearly a very old fuck up.

When I talk to some of my contemporaries, it's pretty clear they have not figured out what is important in life. Unless you think football and TV are the big things. But when you're looking at death coming soon it maybe makes some begin to wonder.

15. BlackBillBlake

It sounds like you have a difficult and emotional situation going on. I can't offer any opinion about the case of your friend. There are too many variables. Certainly I would very strongly advise you against taking the law into your own hands, as you could get locked up, and without proper preparation and the appropriate context with supportive and experienced therapists there would be enormous scope for things to go amiss.

It must be heart rending to see someone you love suffer. Maybe in the future, based on research that's going on, the option will be there to have psilocybin given by a doctor in the last stages of life.

There's quite a lot of stuff online relating to this if you're interested. Here's an item from the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/magazine/how-psychedelic-drugs-can-help-patients-face-death.html?mcubz=2

16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yes...albert hoffman did a lot of good research

then the hippie drug abusers came along ....

17. Asmodean

Maybe its subjective :p

18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Well it was thinking anyone can do it but not everyone should or would benefit from it.

19. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i think i would be fine to trip, as long as i was far from home and my phone was off.

20. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I view the psychedelic experience as a rest for the mind and spirit, so there's no upper age limit.

Trying to party with them? That's just sad and wasteful, no matter the age.