Do You Think It's A Bad Idea To Get A Credit Card For Someone Else To Use?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by abarambling, Jun 10, 2017.

1. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

At least arrange for a low credit limit unless she also has the power to raise it

One is too many - a thousand is never enough

2. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

'holding the bag'

3. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Well, I think she said she wanted to have babaies

4. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

now I think you're trolling us

5. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

they can be cremated in a simple pine (or particle board/mdf - it's a gonna burn anyway) box with no wake to pay for - funeral plan may not be their first priority. In this case it may be that Mom has another 20/30 years so contemporary fiscal responsibilites are the focus. Tell the wee bairn to get out from under her mother's skirts

6. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I May Have Missed It aoabai..... But I Don't Recall You Telling Us What The "Credit Limit"

Is On Her Card..... Not Very High I Hope..... :)

Cheers Glen.

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think its a bad idea to get a credit card. period.
    the use of credit, amounts to voluntary indenture.
    i mean parse the concept.
    you still have to pay, and be committed to do what it takes to do that, if you want to keep what you use credit to attain,
    and even if you don't want to keep it, you've still agreed to owe someone something.

as for getting one for someone else to commit you to indenture, should they fail to indenture themselves to cover it,
    that's just insane, unless, if they really understand this, and its something to help them out, like to go to school, and you can really afford it,
    i mean its always nice to be generous for someone else if you can,
    but as with any risk, if you're going to take one, understand what the risks are,
    and then decide if worse comes to worse, you can live with the result of doing so.

much better, for the same convenience, to use debit cards, that is, cards that can only draw against what is already in an account.

1 person likes this.
  8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

as for the mother who's a bad credit risk, if you can afford to give her an allowance,
    the way to do that without embarrassing either of you, is the way food stamps does it in most places these days;
    set up a debit card account for her, and transfer a fixed amount that you can afford into it each month.

if you can't you can't. love is fine, but you don't have to volunteer to be financially abused.

i would never, even when i was homeless on the street, which was quite a few years ago now,
    but yah, i've been there, ask someone, even parents, children, siblings if i had any,
    to give me a credit card.

that's just, for someone who's already proven they can't handle it,
    that's just no way. i don't understand how someone could be so blatantly shameless,
    that they would ask, let alone try to coerce, their own children, to do this.

i wouldn't be ashamed to take a hand out from the government,
    because as far as i'm concerned that's what governments are for,
    or at least one of the only two good things they are,
    but to ask someone else to put themselves at financial risk,
    and your own flesh and blood, i'm just, "how could she"

9. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I know you didn't apologize, but I forgive you for thinking I was a male. To be honest, I get that a lot over the Internet, people thinking I'm a male.

10. abarambling

abarambling Banned

When I say something radical, I'm half... if not totally serious.

11. abarambling

abarambling Banned

$700.

12. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

She Can't Do Much Damage With That...... :)

Cheers Glen.

13. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Exactly, how can she coerce her own daughter to do this? I mean, this woman has been the bane of my existence since I was born. The other day, she was IN TEARS talking to someone on the phone about how great of a son she has because he gave money to my sister (The sister with the deadbeat husband that refuses to work. I made a thread about this as well). Yet, she made no mention about me giving her a credit card to help her out.

As for whether or not you should be ashamed of getting government assistance, my mom has gotten government assistance, so she is okay with it. She has tried to encourage my sister to get it because my sister can't even afford regular food supply for her three kids. However, when my sister suggested to her deadbeat husband to get government assistance... he said that getting help from the government is a sin against God. My sister also said that she thinks his sister gets helps from the government because she has six kids, and there is always food in the refrigerator. And the deadbeat husband said to my sister that his sister doesn't get help from the government either because again it's a sin against God. They're Christians, so.... Point is, that people have different stance on government assistance. Some people are against. Some are for it. Some think it's a sin. I don't know.

14. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I hope not.