Do You Think It's A Bad Idea To Get A Credit Card For Someone Else To Use?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by abarambling, Jun 10, 2017.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

this right here is the worst idea ever and if this is the case cancel it and cut your losses.
    if she wants a card to pay off a debt to the government or to a local business then that is actually a good idea.
    but to get a card in your name to pay off a loan in her name?
    answer this one question, what will happen to her if she dosnt pay off her credit cards?

1 person likes this.
  2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't have any credit cards. If I can't afford to pay for something in cash, I can't afford it.

And yes, bad idea to give one to your mom, but you already knew that.

3. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

credit cards save you having to carry cash around with you ( although you Do have to carry the cards) Handy for larger more expensive purchases like cars ! and if you pay off the balance each month there is no interest
    I have two but only because a lot of places wont take Amex :unsure:

4. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Yea, I was just going to say that. I normally pay off the purchase before the interest rates come in.

For the longest time I didn't want credit cards because I thought they would automatically put me in debt. But, a couple of years ago... my mom told me to open one because that's how you make credit. Granted, I think credit is only good when you want to buy a house, car, etc. And I don't want to buy any of those things. I'm hoping I'll be dead by that time. But, I decided to open the three, because they do make sense for larger or persistent purchases. So, not something like a house, car, but a new computer, which is a larger purchase, or groceries, which is a persistent purchase. So, I don't regret the three I did open. As long as you make the payments, there is no annual fee, interest fees don't fuck you up the ass, etc... I don't see the problem owning one, or a few. However, people who argue that credit is fake money... totally make sense. It is fake money. It's money... you don't have. So, I understand people who don't have one.

As for my mom, she said that she would use it and pay it off as well. So, I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. Also, my mom is quite emotionally abusive to say the least, so I can't tell her no. I mean that's how I got in this situation in the first place. I'm not a giving person. I'm not a generous person. I just get pushed over by people who are more powerful than me. Also, I want to help and I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. However, if she doesn't make her first payment... I'll pay off what is owned and close it. Hopefully, she won't get all angry with me. Maybe if I give her that secure credit card idea... she might not be as upset.

Anyways, thanks for everyone's input. And thanks for not being judgemental assholes. I already know... I'm weak. So, i don't need people reminding me of something I already know.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

credit cards are also good to have if you know youre dying

fuck the banks ...enjoy the time

1 person likes this.
  6. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Pretty common for the dying to do. Just pay off the family's bills and buy fancy stuff knowing the bank can never do anything about it.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't think it sounds very smart Aoabai. :23:

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

id say its much more common for dying single folks ...especially if theyve already liquidated most or all assets

9. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I thought if you have considerable debt it is passed down to your family, instead of being put on the bank.

10. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Your mom ruined her own credit, don't let her ruin yours. - No, don't do it. - Just like the Baretta theme song advised.

11. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I wish I had the strength for people not to take advantage of me.

1 person likes this.
  12. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

Are you female?

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You could get your mom to turn tricks to pay it off

Either that or selling drugs or kidnapping, I hear there is good money in all three

14. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I probably be selling my body soon enough.

15. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Female.

I guess this situation would be worse if I was male with mommy issues. Well, more like I have a 'Mommy Dearest' type of mother.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh, I always thought you were male

You are correct, would be sadder if you were male with mommy issues

But even more confusing now, as a female I would assume you would be naturally more sceptical in regards to other females and their credit card addictions ;)

17. morrow

morrow Visitor

Tell her the company said no.. deal with your debt..

If your mum's using cards in your name, it's your debt..

Imagine if anything happens to your mum.. those cards are yours to pay off, stop the problem now..

18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

It will be passed to a spouse and it can be taken from inheritance but it won't be taken from a child who inherits nothing and if a parent has nothing and their child dosnt cosign or give their parent credit (cards) then they have nothing to worry about.

19. morrow

morrow Visitor

The executer is responsible to settle the debts. Be it to say they have no will, or they do..
    Would you want to let your parents die in debt though?
    Best get it sorted while they are alive.. saving for a funeral plan is part of their estate..

20. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

short of hitting the lottery my parents will die in debt, of course i dont want my mom to but i am not going to take out loans to fix that.

1 person likes this.