Is Yoga Sinful?

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by Juliaf, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Juliaf

Juliaf Members

Hi everyone I'm new to this site. I'm a Christian/hippie. Can anyone share with me their views on going to yoga class. I have recently heard it is a sin because it worships Hindu Gods. I have being doing yoga a while now and don't really want to stop but am battling with the conflict.

1 person likes this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

It's Only Sinfull If Your Yoga Pants Show A Distinct "Camel Toe".....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

3. Scratched

Scratched Members

I figured it was sinful if they have a brown stain on their backside...hehe

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Westernized Yoga leaves out the more spiritual elements of yoga, but the original purpise of yoga is to bring harmony between the mind and body to prepare oneself for meditation. Meditation is useful in any religion and I dont believe contradicts the Christian faith.

5. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Yoga is a methodology of achieving a spiritual calmness that provides solace, along with the physical discipline of muscle and breathing control
    - Best to keep Religion out of it

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Hatha Yoga uses physical postures, breathing exercises, diet, etc. to master the body and mind, it has nothing to do with any sort of God or gods, demons or devils.

1 person likes this.
  7. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Since it was the ancient Greek pagans who invented athletics, you could just as easily ask if doing that is a sin.

Spilled-Patchouli and Aerianne like this.
  8. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Seems to me anything which gives one Self-satisfaction is looked on as a Sin

3 people like this.
  9. Scratched

Scratched Members

I hope to get involved in Tantra Yoga and Raja Yoga someday,

10. slowtony

slowtony Members

Hi Juliaf! I have a feeling that becoming active here will challenge your view of 'sin'. Even the conservative Christian divinity schools in the United States teach comparative religion. One of the amazing and supportive parts of faith is realizing that spirituality is a universal human imperative. Opening your heart and mind to understanding how others view the essence of the universe is part of your spiritual journey. Although some more secular posters may have made light of your question, I think that you will gain more from your exposure to yoga if you at least investigate the metaphysical foundations of different practices. The rigid man-made prohibitions against any involvement with other religious practices, most notably in the Roman Catholic church, are among the many shackles of patriarchy from which one is freed through the hippie spirit.

11. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Only a shallow rump group of Christians would parse yoga to that excruciating extent. Just go for it if your muscles be lissome enough.

12. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Hmm....I don't think yoga is sinful at all.

Unless, maybe, you have unpure thoughts about the hottie in front of you as she's doing the Downward Dog.

scratcho and YouFreeMe like this.
  13. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Yoga has become so commercialized in the West that most have no spiritual elements left, such as CorePower.

1 person likes this.
  14. hillbillyhippiechick

hillbillyhippiechick Member

Yoga means "Union" ... of mind, body, and spirit. It has nothing to do with "worshiping" anything, although it can be useful in spiritual self-realization.

15. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Very true but that is what is dangerous for the Christian. To them only god can give you realization. There is no concept of the power of the individual. So I can see why it's threatening to some of them.

16. Scratched

Scratched Members

I see no reason to assume that self realization could not be of the will of God. We all are allowed free will.

But I believe there is a spark of divinity and knowledge in most religions, excluding Islam...since they are instructed to eliminate the "infidels". Yep that is us.

17. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

When you add religion to something beautiful it soon sickens and dies

18. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Pagans also developed fire so - as the British used to say during the war "PUT OUT THAT LIGHT"

19. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Why do you say UNpure (first ever use in the entire 2000-year history of Judaeo-Christian civilisation), instead of IMpure. Do you think 'IM' is a pagan prefix???

20. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Close.

"Yoga" actually translates to "yoking."

As in combining...tying-together..joining..and, yeah, Union-izing mind bod spirit. IOW...a holisitic approach. I do Vinyassa with my wife..she used to teach it.

Hope this helps.

C

Tags: