Daesh Attack In Iran

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Piaf, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Surprise, surprise

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/world/middleeast/iran-parliament-attack-khomeini-mausoleum.html?_r=0

Several killed in twin attacks in Iran as Daesh claims responsibility

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1111296/middle-east

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

(not) expecting to see Brandenburg Gate and Eiffel tower in Iranian colors

3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Sadly, you're probably right. Many in the west view terrorism as a normal fact of life in Islamic countries so this attack on Iran isn't really a big thing...or worse, may believe that Iran deserves it.

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Well, Iran is not really an Arab country.

But I get what you're saying, and I agree.

5. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

^^^Thanks for pointing out my mistake, I corrected it.

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Only thing wrong there is that the Iranians are not Arabs but Persians. A different race with a different form of Islam.

Otherwise, I agree - not many in the west will take much notice of this.

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I also noticed covering of terrorist attacks in Pakistan on the dutch news (no not arabic either but close to Iran AND subject to a lot of fundamentalist muslim extremism). I guess at least its good there's a change and it gets better coverage than before.
    Maybe those buildings get only set alight in the colours of a nation when its a clear ally? It would be interesting to know the criteria. All nations that fight IS and are in return subject to their terrorist attacks should get that kind of symbolic support.

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

https://www.thelocal.de/20170404/berlin-decides-not-to-light-up-brandenburg-gate-for-russia-terror-victims

Decision not to light up Brandenburg Gate for Russia terror victims stirs up debate

After an explosion in St. Petersburg killed 14 people and injured dozens of others, the German capital made a controversial decision not to light up its famous icon as it has in the past for terror victims. Many are still questioning why.

Authorities are still investigating the bomb that went off on Monday afternoon in a train in Russia’s second-largest city, killing 11 people and wounding at least 50 others. Russian officials have called the explosion an act of terror.
    Berlin has in recent years often made sure to light up its iconic Brandenburg Gate in honour of terror victims, such as after the November 2015 Paris attacks, the March 2016 Brussels bombings, and most recently after the car and stabbing attack outside the British Parliament in London.
    But on Monday night, no Russian colours were projected onto the Gate as many expected.
    A spokesperson for the Berlin Senate explained that the city had decided to only light up the famous structure for terrorist victims in “partner cities” of Berlin, or in exceptional cases.
    But some have pointed out that Berlin still lit up its icon for non-partner cities, like Orlando and Jerusalem, when each of them experienced terrorist attacks within the past year. After a man rammed a truck into a group of Israeli soldiers in January, killing four, the Brandenburg Gate was lit up with the Israeli flag.

When a man who swore allegiance to Isis shot and killed 49 people in a gay Orlando nightclub last year, the Brandenburg Gate was awash in a rainbow flag.
    Berlin did not, however, display a Canadian flag after a white nationalist terrorist killed six people at a Quebec mosque in January, prompting questions at the time as well. City authorities said of the Quebec attack as well that only partner cities are to receive the gesture of lighting up the landmark.
    The Gate also was not lit up after the Isis-linked truck attack last year on Bastille Day that killed 86 people in the French city of Nice.
    “The ruling mayor made the decision that the Brandenburg Gate will only be illuminated because of terror acts in partner cities,” a city spokesperson told last week.
    For Orlando and Jerusalem, the city said it made exceptions to the partner city rule because they were “places with which Berlin has a special relationship”.
    And ultimately the city makes a decision on a case-by-case basis.
    “It is like this each time that we must explain what the criteria are. We understand this, but the criteria are chosen after careful consideration,” the spokesperson told rbb.
    The city spokesperson also said that the fact that several days went by before Berlin decided to display the rainbow flag for Orlando was not because of pressure from the city’s many LGBT organizations, but rather due to the city’s inability to obtain a projector in time.

It's tacky anyways, imo.

9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Slightly (un)related, but I've always liked this picture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. Asmodean

Im indifferent to it at first instance but can always come up with an opinion at second :-D
    Tacky or not, it is a wellment and small symbolic action to make. So yeah, not much to nag about on itself and at first. When it is only done in certain instances though and not others because of (lets face it pretty lame) reasons like we only do it for a partner city etc. it really takes away from any possible meaning it could have imo.

11. Asmodean

Wonder why it was made... :p

12. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

Gee, I wonder if the Saudis had anything to do with this?

13. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Oh my, justwhat are you suggesting

[​IMG]

14. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

It is a surprise - certainly pricks the bubble of Iran's much-vaunted security services. We quake the world over at mention of the Republican Guard or the Quds force, but they're not invincible. One of the photographs accompanying the story shows a dozen or so Iranan security folk standard around looking vaguely clusterfucky.

Ironically, they're now pointing the finger at Saudi, which many in the States and UK do also; saying that their respective governments are doing business with an arch Wahabbi terrorist banker.