Living Outside? Really?

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by makihiko, Jun 6, 2017.

1. makihiko

makihiko Official hippie since 2005

does anyone actually live outside?

I always think about how nice it is inside my house, and how humans, back in time were cave/hut dwellers, it seems like humans in general are not the outside types.

what do you guys think about this?

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I considered staying at campsites vs. renting an apartment. As it turns out the campsite idea wasn't that practical. I would have had no way to charge a laptop, & very limited security. It can be very expensive as well. Ultimately I decided against it. I forget now what all my reasons were for wanting it to begin with! :)

I think it's not a very good idea. Why do you ask?

3. Scratched

Scratched Members

It would be worth the expense if you had other to hang with who were into it, but if not, no.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Backpackers live outside for weeks at a time.

5. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Even primitive species don't live totally outside: they build and retreat to shelters of some sort, even if they are "natural shelters." So does anyone really live outside?

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've seen homeless people sleeping right on the sidewalk. i don't think any of them really do it by choice though.

7. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

I am gonna find a pic of your avatar and blow it up to target size...maybe about 9 X 11 or so, and take it to the range next time I go practice with my new Sig Saur. LOL.

Yeah....it bugs me that much. Cannot recall ever being so annoyed from a pic of any face.

What the hell is it, mate? LOL

Anyway...living outside?

A very large and significant factor that will effect your enjoyment--or even your ability--for living outside is of course the weather. Warmer climes like where I live, Texas, are advised. You really dont want it to get any colder than around the mid-30s at night. And even for that you need some pretty good quality gear.

A friend of mine...actually of Dad's who served with him in Vietnam..is one of those Nam vets you've heard about who never assmiliated to society when they returned to The World. He and about two dozen other Nam vets live outside in a permanent campground they have in western Oregon.

I visited them about two summers ago. I was in Portland for a Navy Reunion event of old Navy aviator buddies. And many I didn't know, of course. It was a Tail Hook sorta thing. Anyway, after the three-day event I met my old friend..we will call him Seth, because that's his real name (LOL) at a coffee house in Ashland. He took me out to his campground and I lived with those dudes for five days.

For the most part I enjoyed it. These guys were skilled and experienced outdoorsman and they had everything. (No internet, though. But that makes zero difference to me.) They had a generator and so...TV. A satellite dish. They showed movies at night. Lots of beer and BBQ. Women. They brought prosties in about once a month or so. Played games and sports like soccer and softball. Had a fine nearby crystal clear swimming hole. Good fishing too.

I could have easily lived there for many months, if I was so inclined. They had gravity fed showers. A few of the guys even had jobs during the day. One dude was a friking banker! So the level of amenities and hygiene was so good as to enable a guy to get clean enough to work in a bank and weak a shirt and tie.

I also became a believer in Bigfoot after living out there with these guys. Before that I thought he was bullshit.

But that's another story, mates.

C