How Much Should I Charge Him?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fueled by Coffee, Jun 5, 2017.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

My landlord is a pretty wealthy rancher who owns lots of properties and hot rods.
    He told me he'd hire me to do some work for him to supplement my income over on a slow day or over the weekend. Because he's an old guy who is a technophobe with computers, he said he'd hire me to help him create ads on Craigslist or Ebay to help him sell his Caterpillar tractors, his horse trailers, and a saw mill.

I'd gladly accept the offer. But I'm not sure how to charge this guy, or how much to do it. I thought about maybe taking a small percent commission from the sale of these items. But then again it's possible these things never sell, and I wind up doing work for free.

If you were in my shoes, how much would you charge for this assignment?

2 people like this.
  2. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I'd Find Out What The Going Rate For Puuuter Techs Is In Your Town Then Give Him A Generous

Discount....... You Scratch His Back And He Will Scratch Yours..... :)

Cheers Glen.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If I was in your shoes, I'd have to charge extra for tinea cream

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm not a business person, but i say don't short change yourself, which in these kinds of cases, that's almost certainly what he wants you to do.

a lot depends on the details of your situation and his. i certainly wouldn't start at anything lower then whatever works out to the equivalent of minimum wage.

avoid looking hungry, and be willing to accept a no sale, to avoid finding yourself a virtual slave.

those are the general principals. how you achieve them, again i'm not business person.

if i was i'd probably be taking commissions for my art.

5. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

let's be fair, the work is not hard. so do the reasonable thing

become the son he never had and get your name on his will.

no im joking... just be reasonable.

6. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

dollar a word - that's what a stable of newsletters run by Business Communications Review was paying, back in the eighties - actually you got US$500 for articles of 500-1000 words - just required a bit of technological agility and quick, snappy writing

7. koda209

koda209 Members

Show this man you have pride. Tell him you do all that work for a nice dinner with him, at Abby's. Should cost him 'round $10.00. Then if he offers you anything else, take half of it and be thankful you could help someone other than yourself.

8. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

This Post Does Not Compute.....I Repeat.....Does Not Compute......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

id say list the ads for free...it wont take more than a few minutes to take pictures and post

unless theres more to it like fixing and cleaning them first...or if you have to go there and actually take the time to show them to prospective buyers

10. koda209

koda209 Members

GLENGLEN, If the guy he is doing some computer work for is his landlord, as he says, then doing the work for Dinner, WITH THE MAN and half of whatever the man may offer him will show this man that 6-eyed is a person of strong character who is worth keeping as a friend. He, the landlord, may even offer to lower 6-eyed's rent.

11. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

Now you're quantifying payment - 'reducing' the rent is cash in hand and has no tax consequences necessarily (nothing in this post purports to provide financial advice)

1 person likes this.