Have You Reached Peak Foot Toughness ?

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Jun 4, 2017.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I think I have. I can handle pavement made from the larger stones that at one time was painful to walk on but now is no problem but gravel like crushed stones I don't think that is possible for me.

barefootbob3 likes this.
  2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

so you've maximized your foot toughness to the point that you still can't possibly walk on certain surfaces that us non-barefooters walk on barefoot every day?

1 person likes this.
  3. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Crushed coral stone,

[​IMG]

Can anyone walk on this stuff ?

4. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

The rocks I am talking about about the size of quarters.

5. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

I can. But I admit I'd be walking gingerly. But we have pea gravel and a brick pathway in our backyard. I go barefoot all the time out there. And can even run on the sidewalk, the street, or bricks with no problem. I played a little hoops, one on one with my nephew in his driveway last week. Barefoot. I DID get s couple blisters outta that, but those are just gonna callous over and make my feet tougher.

But, having to work during the week all day, when I of course have to wear shoes, I can't be outside playing barefoot all the time like when I was a kid during the Summer. So I only have limited time to toughen the ol' wheels.

A friend of mine is a kickboxer. He soaks his feet in vinegar to toughen them. He says he can climb rocks barefoot. And he's actually gonna take a class in walking across those hot coals. But I think that deal might be more of a "mind" thing.

Cheers.

barefootbob3 likes this.
  6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

we don't have that specific surface here, so i don't know. there's a couple places i work that seem like they would be comparable though; i'll try to remember to take a picture in the next few days although i'm so fucking behind at work that hipforums pictures are the last thing on my mind whenever i'm there.

7. bunnygirl

bunnygirl available in taiwan

i have always been barefoot since baby only injuries from glass and board with nail so far.

barefootbob3 likes this.
  8. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I stepped on a board with a nail wearing sneakers and it didn't seem to even slow it down, then lifting my foot to pull it out that was no fun. I think if I was bare foot it never would have happened cause I would not have been stomping around like that without looking.

I worked a construction site barefoot mixing concrete in a wheel barrel and hauling materials around, cutting, drilling and bolting metal together for like two weeks as a side job. The metal chips from drilling are something to avoid stepping on.

The major hazard wasn't really stepping on anything but dropping something on my foot, fumble a tool even a relatively small wrench or a socket would hurt. I Kept it in my mind that if something is falling watch out for my feet.

I remember on that job thinking wow being barefoot really isn't a functional handicap, it did not slow me down a bit.

9. j17435

j17435 Member

I work around my yard and house barefoot and unfortunately over the years, my feet have gotten kinda beat up from various cuts and abrasions.
    Some from dropping stuff, but also bumping in to things.
    I got a pretty big abrasion from scraping the top of my foot on a sprinkler head.

Nothing major but a number of little scars here and there, which have added up.
    Not sure why but my feet tend to scar more easily than my hands.
    It's not completely unsightly yet, but I'm trying to be a bit more careful.

10. M_Ranko

M_Ranko Straight edge xXx

As tough as I can make them under the fact that about 70% of our tissues are water.

11. SoftSoles

SoftSoles Member

Due to the UK climate, barefooting in public is something that can only usually be enjoyed from the end of April until mid-October. However, if I'm able to run unshod on concrete/tarmac for six miles by the end of September, I'm happy.

12. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I fell back into the shoe habit over the winter, wasn't just the weather but no fun life nonsense combined with it, and my first walk up to the store barefoot taking my usual route the pavement roughness really hurt. I must have looked like the tourists in the beach parking lot he way I walked on some spots. I guess it took about two weeks of regular barefooting and a little discomfort to get the ability to travel that terrain back. I never really took note of when it came back.

Like many people for a long time I had that inner belief that bare feet are too fragile and shoes are needed. Nope the shoes only made them that way and like a bad feedback loop created the need to wear them.

13. SoftSoles

SoftSoles Member

Although the winter months in the UK present little opportunity to go bare foot outdoors for any meaningful length of time, I do still go bare foot immediately outside the home, such as stepping out the front door to place rubbish in the bin, or when stepping into the garage, provided the temperature isn't below 5C, for example.

When indoors during the winter, I'm largely barefoot (I simply prefer it that way), walking around on hardwood floors. I don't necessarily believe that the human foot is too fragile, since it's an incredibly strong and beautiful piece of engineering, but one must consider practicalities when venturing outdoors to negotiate the elements, so that the toes don't become frost-bitten or suffer damage to nerves.

14. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

Once i was driven by the crowd through over 20 ft of sidewalk carpeted with crushed bottles. I was surprised by not getting cut even while feeling the glass break under my heels.

15. Jude96

Jude96 Members

Am I a contradiction that I love going barefoot but I also get the occasional pedicure? Yes I'm a guy and I know I'm probably in the minority here...

barefootbob3 and SoftSoles like this.
  16. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

That Makes Total Sense......A Barefooter Has His Feet "Out There" For All To See.....So Why Not

Have Them Looking Well Groomed...... :)

Cheers Glen.

barefootbob3, drumminmama and Jude96 like this.
  17. Jude96

Jude96 Members

My thoughts exactly lol