The Secret To A Contented Life

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Joshua Tree, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

I would say never expecting much is formed out of detachment for results while lowering your expectations is often done out of fear of failure to meet results, or realizing your standards are too high.

I can see how lowering your expectation can be beneficial at times. If your expectations are overwhelming you or causing you a lot more stress than necessary. Or lets use the "rock star" example. It sounds unrealistic and too far fetch from where a person may be presently. And one would most likely give up before trying. You can lower that to forming a band then gradually higher your expectations more and more.

2 people like this.
  2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

happiness is a choice

BeatinFeet69 likes this.
  3. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Am Happy Now......After I Moved In Oct 2014 It Took Me 15 Months To Settle In Here......

And I'm Now Pleased To Describe Myself As A Happy And Contented Man...... :)

Cheers Glen.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there is one other thing though, there is plenty of diversity in reality to enjoy if you keep an eye out for it.

it IS the only sure way to avoid disappointment, to avoid expectations of any kind.

by all means learn how the universe really works, what the probabilities are, but recognize that it IS statistical, and that does mean not always predictably consistent.

and odds CAN be improved, by not hating logic, nor trusting anything that wishes to be feared.

and not just for yourself by doing so either.

and the odds of freedom are directly proportional to the practice of consideration.

they don't come from people killing nor intimidating each other.

5. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

Or rise to your expectations.

6. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

How though?

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Hm, well, you're not wrong.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

expect nothing, appreciate everything, avoid being inconsiderate of anything,
    and just avoid like hell the idea of anything having to be big, exciting, or trying to impress anyone.

but do be creative and imaginative and remember that just because someone else might believe something is a default condition, doesn't make it so.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Eat bacon

Jimi Smacks and Deidre like this.
  10. Deidre

Deidre Visitor

Be happy in the present moment.

Jimi Smacks likes this.
  11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

take a walk once in a while...alone...in nature

to remind yourself that the world around you is alive ...as well as yourself.

12. That's not the secret. The secret is to be so delusional you honestly think you have everything you want. I am well contented.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

and then look up at the rest of the universe, and realize, that even if humanity entirely blows it, more other places then you can count, will go right on being.

SpacemanSpiff likes this.