Culture Police Close Down A White Woman's Burrito Shop

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Fueled by Coffee, May 28, 2017.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Due to the horrendous crime of cultural appropriation, two white female entrepreneurs in Portland Oregon were forced to shut down their pop-up burrito food kart, Kooks Burritos, because they were stealing from Mexican culture and costing Mexicans their jobs.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-05-26/two-white-women-forced-close-burrito-shop-because-cultural-appropriation?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+zerohedge%2Ffeed+%28zero+hedge+-+on+a+long+enough+timeline%2C+the+survival+rate+for+everyone+drops+to+zero%29

And when the food cart got shut down, the social justice warrior psychos cheered this as a victory.
    As an ex-Portlander, it's sad to see such an awesome city going to shit. But at the same time, sort of makes me glad I got off that sinking ship.

4 people like this.
  2. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

The Libtard Nanny State Mindset strikes again.

Portland and the whole state of Oregon are notorious liberal left-wing bastions.

So...you get what you have here today with the gringo burrito ladies.

See? That liberal shit would never happen in a republican Red State. Like Texas. Rather, free Enterprise is pretty much left unrestrained. And if the white women's burrito biz was shut down it would only be due to lack of business if their product was deemed inferior to all the other great Mexican food we have here. The Mexicans here wouldn't care if gringos had a Mexican food business.

And ten bucks and my left nut say it wasn't even the local Portland Hispanic community that forced out the white burrito ladies. I bet it was middle and upper class Caucasian Libtards.

Btw...I here from a colleague of mine who is a lesbian and used to live in Portland that it's the Dyke Capital of the USA. Maybe besides San Francisco. Is that true? Just curious. I wonder if the burrito ladies were lesbos if they still woulda been shutdown?

Cheers.

2 people like this.
  3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I dont know if the story is true

But the comments below it were enough, what tha farq?

A burrito is just a different type of sandwich in the end, not like mexicans invented putting stuff in bread.

And who gives a shit if they copied a recipe

1 person likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Didn't Mexicans pinch the majority of their culture from the Spanish anyway? I mean, where's all the culturally influence Aztec and Mayan food??

2 people like this.
  5. 6-eyed shaman

Nah, the whole state of Oregon isn't like that. It's just that our biggest cities, Portland and Eugene, pretty much decide every election that takes place. And Portland is the sole exporter of the Oregonian stereotype.

Yeah it was actually a smear campaign written by the Portland Mercury. SJWs gone mad. . http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2017/05/22/19028161/this-week-in-appropriation-kooks-burritos-and-willamette-week

You can see that they even have a spreadsheet guide of what restaurants to go to instead because they are officially owned by people of that ethnicity. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJuHMuAeuHxy-c4nyp6NLghhrCdZYO7I5kDGSt22Ie8/htmlview#gid=0

Shutting down small businesses to promote racial segregation. How progressive is that! By their logic, we should shut down all Hispanic owned pizza places because they are appropriating white culture.

I can't vouch if it is the "dyke capital" of the USA. But it wouldn't surprise me.

1 person likes this.
  6. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Cultures, like languages, are amalgamations of older/neighboring/foreign cultures. There is no culture that is completely "unique" or "pure".

Education is important, reading is fundamental.

2 people like this.
  7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Forced? By who?

1 person likes this.
  8. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

So much for Cornish pasties (pronounced pass-tees, since they have nothing to do with nipples)

and I guess Welsh rarebit (erroneously considered Welsh rabbit by some even though there's not a jot of lapin in it) goes for a burton.

Irish coffees will be no more in most bars in Portland, particularly any rnade by Mexicans who are totally forbidden to purvey any foods of European origin, even though some Mexicans are pure Spanish, thus European.

Oh my - it's going to be very so confusing:)

2 people like this.
  9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Apparently by the culture police. Not sure if that's an official institution over there :p

10. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So let's get this straight, the Willamette Week newspaper runs an article on these women's food stand in the food section of their paper. A very positive article, it seems to me. Here it is.

Kooks Serves Pop-Up Breakfast Burritos With Handmade Tortillas Out of a Food Cart on Cesar Chavez
    A bunch of people exercise their right to free speech and criticize them for their method of finding out how to make the burritos.
    The women close their stand without comment, as far as I can tell.

So what? Could it be that they have entered into a public business and can't take the heat?
    Could it be they weren't making a profit? We don't know.

Some people post negative comments and it gets blown into they were forced to close their business.

Nobody forced them to do anything.

3 people like this.
  11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The outcry is silly, I thought the story of how they went to Mexico to learn their recipes is kind of cool

But I agree with others who pointed out they weren't forced to do anything. The people of Portland stopped going there, and they lost profit. That is all. Happens all the time for various reasons. That's the free market - customers can decide they want to patronize, or not patronize, any business they want for any dumb reason they find.

Starting a business is a huge risk under an circumstance

12. 6-eyed shaman

The lack of profit heading their way after a massive Gawker style smear campaign sweeps the local headlines. With the motive to make people of Mexican descent angry. As well as shame liberal Portlanders (which is a huge majority of the city) away from eating at a food cart owned by "white supremacists."

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I get this though, I dont think its about white people or culture so much as the fact that the techies are driving up rent in an already outrageously expensive real estate market

Gentrification is a delicate balancing act, I'm seeing the same issues in my city but on a smaller, less expensive scale. Its nice to be able to walk around certain neighborhoods now without worrying about being the victim of a crime, but it also really sucks for the people who have lived there for 30 years and cant afford it anymore.

14. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

15. 6-eyed shaman

In the free market, their business would've failed if they were serving bad tasting burritos, provided a lousy customer service, or got out competed by a superior competitor. Did their burritos taste bad? Was their service lousy? I don't know, but baseless accusations of racism and theft of culture bullied them out of business in an artificial way.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, I dunno. I think customers have a right to give their business to whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose.

I've seen it happen here but inversely, , where chic fi la's business increased after their CEO or whatever his title is came out against gay marriage. People choose to support or not support a business for political reasons all the time. Maybe it isn't justified, I personally dont think chic fila deserves to make a gigantic profit just because of one guy's misguided stance and I dont think these ladies deserve to go out of business over something so ridiculous but it is what it is.

Maybe they can try again in a different market. They're welcome to come here, they sound yummy. And no one here knows what authentic Mexican food is anyways.

1 person likes this.
  17. MeAgain

A free market has no restrictions placed upon business transactions.

People are free to choose to patronize a business or not patronize a business for any reason or no reason.
    Nothing artificial, customers can decide they didn't want to buy this product for any reason at all. The free market doesn't pass value judgements. Maybe the criticism is unfounded, I believe it is...so what? These women couldn't market their product to the public properly so they lost out. That's all.
    Maybe they needed better PR.

18. 6-eyed shaman

And you justify baseless accusations of white supremacy and yellow journalism. How sad.

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

20. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

With Free trade always comes a lack of accepted competition ... - sadly

1 person likes this.
  21. MeAgain

I'm not justifying anything. I think the negative comments were ridiculous and one of the problems the "left" and "liberals" have. Just as the "right" does the same thing at certain times.
    I have no problem with what these two women did and I think their detractors are going too far.

But that being said they caved to negative press, or were forced out of business due to negative press. That's the free market system and the free presses' right to print opinion.

I am not condemning the entire left nor do I condemn the entire right based on one episode.

My only problem with this thread is the assumption that the women were MADE to go out of business.

3 people like this.
  22. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

No more green beer on St. Patrick's Day and all airline fights to be cancelled because aircraft are appropriating bird culture

1 person likes this.
  23. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

I gather you don't eat much Mexican food?

I do. I live in Texas, hombre.

Burritos don't use bread.

They use tortillas. Big diff, amigo.