Why Do People Get Married?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Eavesdrop, May 25, 2017.

1. Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop Member

I mean, why not just live together and use whatever last name you want?

2 people like this.
  2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I don't know why other people do whatever they do, but if you ask me it doesn't really look like it's working whatever they're doing.
    I don't marry, though, because I don't want to. It's even hard to imagine. Maybe I'm bein' overly pessimistic though.

2 people like this.
  3. KittyLou

KittyLou Banned

I don't know about "people", but I got married because I fell in love and we wanted to make a permanent commitment to each other. We also wanted to have a family.

I know you can do all these things without tying the knot, but for me it was the right decision. We've been together 20 years and married 15.

Each to their own.

2 people like this.
  4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

so they can get half your pensions when you croak....or more than half of everything you own if they decide to move on to another sucker before you croak

3 people like this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I can't list my partner as a beneficiary on my life insurance.

He was allowed to list me though so I guess it depends on the policy

He doesnt get insurance through his work and I also can't add him to my health insurance.

Those are the only reasons I've found so far, but they're relatively important. Enough to make us consider it. I hate that he doesnt have health insurance.

I don't really see a point from an ooey gooey romantic standpoint.

6. morrow

morrow Visitor

Well I want half my x husband's pension, why shouldn't I?
    I worked, brought up 3 children, looked and up kept the family home, so he worked and paid into a pension, big deal!
    Annoys me when the guy says that, never the woman..
    He went to work, sat on his ass while I did everything and worked, so why, if he only started that pension after we were married, should I not get half?
    We were married 38 years, yep, I put up with the horrible lazy get for that long. You guys need to lighten up. Your boring with your wining.

1 person likes this.
  7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Stan has suggested getting life insurance for himself, and I put my foot down, and said..."NO WAY!"...so that ought to tell you something about me. Pension? Who cares about that? If I were in it for the money i would have married the millionaire everyone told me to marry...well, not everyone...but many people,, but I could not stand him after awhile he was very narcissistic. Money was never it for me.

1 person likes this.
  8. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I still hope to marry. I'd love to have a wife I could call "My own." I could probably do without the kids though. But someone to really share life with, and real proper commitment to make life work together. I'd go for it.

1 person likes this.
  9. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

It's because:

;)

10. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Not sure on this one. Meliai has pointed out the only obvious advantages, but those are more of a societal flaw than anything.

I would also add: religious reasons.

1 person likes this.
  11. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

They do it for a number of reasons:

- to create alliances between septs and clans, thus increasing security and wealth

- to create an extended family for the nurturing of children. Not only are children more statistically likely to have both a mother and father while they are first helpless and a bit later very dependent etc. They
    also have access to two sets of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and all kinds of potential allies.

- traditionally, to demonstrate to the wider community that they are respectable citizens - applies a lot less today because society is splintering

- as a ritual to underline their deep love for each other (which is often, though not always the case). Few brides and bridegrooms are cynics

- to enhance one's social class or financial fortunes (in an imbalanced union).

That's just a few reasons

2 people like this.
  12. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

seems pretty rational to me - marrying for financial security - 100s of millions have done it

1 person likes this.
  13. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

My wife and I got married because we fell head over heels in love and wanted to commit to be with each other for the rest of our lives. And in our society, partaking in the institution of marriage is the traditional way to do this.

So we did!

I like that she had my last name. Do does she. She jokes with friends that part of the reason she married me was that she always loved my last name and wanted it! LOL.

Living together is not the same. The level of commitment is not there. Just feels incomplete to me. There are also financial advantages to marriage. I think it shows more class to be married than to just live together. I know a shit ton of losers who just live together. Guys who don't have the money or the integrity to commit and support and have a family. Most of the problems with kids today is lack of supervision since they live with a single parent.

Sorry..that last bit was off topic, but it's how I feel. My wife is a teacher and she also sees it.

1 person likes this.
  14. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

You haven't married for one reason.

You haven't found a man who you love enough to commit to. Or maybe you did but he didn't reciprocate.

It's only hard to imagine for because you have never been head over heels in love.

If you're ever fortunate enough to be this way, you'll understand why we get married.

Like my wife and I. We can't imagine NOT being married.

Love makes what was once a foreign concept become real!

Good luck in finding out for yourself that what I say is true.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well I could just live with my partner forever, sure. But how is that romantic? I like romance, I look forward to my wedding and honeymoon. :) I look forward to writing my vowels in the ancient ways, I look forward to walking barefoot into the oceans of Northern Norway to spill our blood in the water so we can be married in all the oceans of the world. I look forward to bonding that tie between us. I look forward to that certificate too. Look forward to introducing her as my wife and me as.., the other wife? Just whatever comes, it'll be good. :)

Dunno why some salty motherfuckers would want to take that away from me with their negetive vibes.

Shoo you.

1 person likes this.
  16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

His policy is barely enough to cover his funeral and maybe a couple of house payments lol, I'm definitely not in it for the money

17. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

so, Rumpelstiltskin would be OK

18. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

I dunno about others but with my wife I fell in love with the Italian home made food...the most authentic Italian food I have ever tasted....and I could not enter her kitchen without her forcing me to sit down at the table where she would proceed to force food into me...''mange mange''she would say in Italian....and there was always full cooked meals in the freezer ready to eat any time I wanted.....everything seemed right in my life when I was being fed and cooked for

so ya...I really miss my mother in laws cooking....should ever have divorced the daughter :)

4 people like this.
  19. olderndirt

olderndirt Senior Member

We dated seven years, and I knew that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. Love and commitment to each other. It has lasted a long time, still with love and commitment. Okay...sex without guilt was a factor.

20. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

rolling........Are You Smoking Anything Different Lately.......Because In The Last 2 Months Or So

Your Posts Have Improved 100%......They Used To Be As "Boring As Batshit", But Nowdays I Would Go

So Far As To Describe Them As Both "Funny" & "Cool"....... :D

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.