Chris Cornells Death Ruled A Suicide

Discussion in 'Music' started by Vanilla Gorilla, May 18, 2017.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oi, get the fame, bucks, a lifestyle millions of teens around the world dream about, have the looks, and yes in his 20s he was filthy hot

Then blow all the money on drugs and kill yourself at 52

Oi????

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

3 kids as well

??????

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

Did this just happen? His death I mean, I hadn't heard anything about it.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah I don't really get this

I understand depression and I know there isn't really any rationality to suicide, its just a really tragic symptom of depression

But I also know parenting is this weird primal thing where your main focus is keeping your kid alive and keeping yourself alive so you can keep your kid alive. At least that's how it is for me, I just cant really understand anyone voluntarily and so permanently leaving their kids.

5. morrow

morrow Visitor

I think someone that kills themselves, are so deeply depressed, you will never have stopped them, it's so very sad.
    If you have never been so desperately sad, you just could never understand that deepness.
    I think people get them mixed up with attention seekers, blackmailers! It's so different.
    So no, we could never understand how you seem to have everything and yet Chuck it away..
    Not enough is done for these people, because they hide it so well..
    Some people call it cancer of the mind..
    More men than women do this.. big guys don't cry!
    RIP
    My condolences to his family

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Wednesday night Detroit time

The prelim autopsy came up fast. First I heard about it was looking on a news site this morning, headline already imcluded "deemed suicide"

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, not always, some parents dont give a shit, which I always find curious if they are not doing something else substantial with their lives

Still, could be some other health problem we may never know about, a diagnosis for terminal cancer. Between Prince, George Michael and now Chris Cornell, with maybe one of them that was the underlying reason. There is no reason for another doctor to release such information.

Chris was pretty much a full blown alcoholic, so cirrhosis, liver cancer at 52 not much of a stretch

Still.....

8. His lyrics were very deep and intriguing. I think perhaps he had some sort of otherworldly mystical purpose in this that none of us can fully understand.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's like Robin Williams too and I too suffer from depression so I know how it is to put on that smile and make people laugh with all my jokes and stories and just the way that I am yet I can stand there amongst the positivity and good vibes and you're just so low there's no life in you... but you see the people around you and you just gotta put on that brave face and at the end of the day, I end up living for them which I think helps me too in the process a little.

It's just how it is for some people. And they're the ones you'd ever know like you'd not tell I was depressed unless I told you and if you knew me IRL you'd ask yourself well how can that be? We've just built a solid wall and behind it beats a heart of stone under rusty armor... feel like I try to polish that armor as much as I can.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, I dont buy it though

How would Chris Cornell himself be able to differentiate his thinking patterns with his alcohol affected brain compared to himself had he never touched a drop of alcohol, or differentiate everyone else in the wide range of anxiety and mood disorders.

How does any medico make that distinction

Anywhere from 20% to 1/3 of the population suffers from an anxiety or depressive disorder of some kind, and yet the suicide rate is roughly 0.01% per year around the world, still barely 1% if you then crudely multiply by life expectancy X 85 years

Women suffer from depression any where from 2 to 4 times more than men depending on who you source, yet the suicide rate is double for men

Are the worst sufferers of whichever affliction the ones that suicide? 1% suiciding over average life span vs 20% that suffer same time frame
    If that were true there would be some kind of correlation between body chemisty, something easily measured in a lab, and suicides, but there isnt

Robin Williams, you know that brain was always on overdrive, as he got older more worried about losing his faculities, more of a thing....but he was also a heavy coke user for decades. Chris Cornell an alcoholic for decades but a far more mellow guy, no such worry about losing his comedy mojo as he gets older. You cant even comapre the two even if they fall under the same category susbstnace abuse affected persistant depressive disorder.

Prince it was horse tranquilizers for crying out loud, as if that isnt going to fuck your shit up

And at the same time there are 1 million heavy cokes users 10 million alcoholics, 40 million anxiety disorder sufferers, another 40 million depressive disorder sufferers in the same country, 99% of whom wont ever kill themselves in their life time

I dont buy any depression - suicide link, because it just simply does not exist

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't know. I don't even know who the guy is. :unsure:

I don't know many celebrities anymore just who I grew with in the 90s. I only know from another thread this guy was in a band.

Man, I don't even know the names of the people in my favorite bands it's just something I've never really cared about I guess. Well I mean okay like I know Metallica and everything but the closest person I had die on me that I listened to was Johnny Rebel and I was a little sad at that I mean I had so many good times listening to that shit with friends that it was surreal when I read he died and I never even knew what the guy looked like.

The moment I saw him though, just a happy looking fella, I just felt sad lol. I'm sure I'll get sad too when some of the musicians I listen to have died but not even Lemmy really affected me at all and I've seen Motörhead live and they do mean things to me. I don't know.

I used to think depression was all made up too until I saw a doctor and diagnosed with it and then it's all about the questions of how and why. Couple all that in with my recently active bipolar disorder I don't even know where I stand at any given time. :D

12. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Auto Erotic Asphyxiation

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, read the lyrics to pretty noose with this in mind. It kind of seems like thats what the song is about

14. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Never heard of that song but the title says it all, unless it's a mispelling and he meant to write Pretty Moose, in which case I have nothing further to say about that.

I thought Hands All Over was a great song, Can't remember much about the rest of their debut album, but the follow up Badmotorfinger was slightly disappointing I thought and I never really paid any more attention to Soundgarden or Chris Cornell after that.

It's funny because he looked similar to Michael Hutchence.

I don't understand how being suffocated to near death can be a pleasurable experience.

15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I had "Ultramega OK" which was on my favourite alternative U.S. label at the time, SST records. Good band, it's a shame. Shows that it's not always what it's cracked up to be.

16. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

He will be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2GjXMk7i4

RIP Chris Cornell!

[​IMG]

17. fundoo

fundoo Members

kinda wish i stopped by here yesterday (maybe?) yea, i speak to a lot of folks suffering from this illness, plus FB ain't the place to be so free and honest, although I did finally just burst out this morning how upset (like outraged kinda upset) about all of this, but i still feel like i have to soften it down some. Idk maybe that's just smart practice but...

yeah, it just makes no sense! and for a lot of the reasons said here (for the family, for the difference between other celebrity sufferers, and just the big fact that so many don't go to this extreme.) It's just....well, it's kindof an outrage! Maybe it's just that I feel so strongly against suicide And I can't believe I've heard folks saying like "oh well, it's his choice, if it makes him happy". whaaaaahhh???!! I mean, like I guess believing you're going to a better place?? idk. whatever. I just think it's stupid.

Now now, I know there's the whole mental illness issue, and that I CAN understand. As I said, I talk to a lot of sufferers. I myself have been challenged some with it (hopefully never so bad as before)...idk I was pulled away from it by something someone told me, I've known others who had unsuccessful attempts...it's like, why were we averted and this one wasn't (others weren't)?? I mean, that is just the thought that kinda troubles me and/or that is when I feel this odd mixture of gratitude mixed with sadness. How are some others not stopped?? Like...like what are we supposed to learn from this?? *very upsetting*

p.s. about the men thing being more "successful" at this. Well, I'd rather not say the other reason, but my second guess for this is perhaps that women are more easy to share their feelings and talk about things...

gah! that's why I'm even more upset! All the men that I've encountered with this issue (and some women too)...but those that deny or that close off...or the "funny ones". Gah! those really get to me and it is a really crappy thought if I ever hear those stories not ending well. Well, I hope this never happens to anyone I know or care about. :/

Finally, ok, lyrically. So yeah, most people weren't vocal about lyrics and the eerie connections. I really try not to indulge in this, and I really shouldn't even now, but I will just say that besides Black Hole Sun, this Audioslave one-Like a stone is probably how I'm going to remember this day (yesterday) and the memory attached to this song and the sortof irony there or whathaveyou. :/

but moving on. I mean, I'm feeling much better today. (was just listening to some Ramones. :D) I just keep trying to be my best self for those I care about and be good for them by taking care of myself. Hell! That's why I do it! People bring me joy and I wanna be around long enough to enjoy it! hahah idk :p

(sorry for this long rant. as others have said, it really actually affected me more than I expected it would!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QU1nvuxaMA

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, the details of his suicide sound a little suss

Found on the bathroom floor with a red exercise band (whatever that is) around his neck with blood coming from his mouth

It may not be what it seems