Cheap Eye Tracking

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Wu Li Heron, May 16, 2017.

1. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

https://www.holstcentre.com/news---press/2016/eye-movement/

Expense has been one of the few remaining hurdles holding back the widespread adoption of eye tracking technology which can be used to replace a desktop mouse and even as a way to speed up a computer. By tracking your eyes the computer automatically knows what you are looking at and can focus on enhancing that part of the image and, largely, ignore the rest allowing the computer to work that much faster. Merely by your looking at something the computer automatically knows what you are interested in and, using eye blinks, vocal commands, or whatever you prefer it can replace a standard desktop mouse with something even faster and more intuitive. Research by Microsoft has already confirmed people like having a computer that has modest Ai built in allowing it to learn their routines and that can take any combination of gestures, touch, keyboard, and vocal commands. However, all that stuff gets expensive and just being able to cheaply track your eyes is a huge leap forward up there somewhere with inventing the original mouse.

You can already buy cheap video glasses for under a hundred bucks that will project the equivalent of a 40" monitor two feet in front of you and the ability to add cheap eye tracking and even measure the duration of your blinks means you could replace a thousand dollar monitor and desktop mouse with something cheap and portable. You could plug a pair of glasses like that into anything including a portable computer or gameboy or whatever making its widespread adoption almost certain, but the VR headset producers have been the pursuing the technology in earnest for the last few years and I expect them to be the first early adopters within a year or two.

One remaining question is, of course, what other cheap ideas like this might soon be incorporated into a simple pair of video glasses or VR headset and when can we expect the first iShades from Apple and whatever Sony might have up their sleeve.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And how do you open applications and folders on your desktop? Do you look at them and double blink? :D

My eyes scan my surroundings so much within 5 mins I'd fry that circuit which would struggle just trying to keep up with my eyes and I'd have little smoke plumes coming from both eyes.

3. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Your eyes might as well be frozen in place as far as the computer is concerned. In the time it would take you just to blink the computer would have to wait around for the equivalent of a month or more for you to do something and this circuitry merely measures the magnetic field around your eyes.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

She does point to what probably is going to be the most important point. The cost on the human body, A double tap of the index finger less of a strain than double blinking of the eyes

You seem to love reading tech stories then going with what your dream of the future will be whilst ignoring reality.

With those shaky cam movies, you get 10% of the audience walking out to avoid seizures, VR is never going to be as popular as you want to imagine

HUD displays for everything, and you will still get most people wanting to just sit and watch cooking or reality TV shows, sending ascii text for the most part to their friends to talk about what they had for lunch. Thumbs and fingers are more effecient with less effort, no one really gets headaches from moving their thumbs too much

1 person likes this.
  5. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Using a mouse and standard keyboard is the single largest source of Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, while the average person blinks 1,200 times an hour. You seem to have forgotten that there is a real world that I'm talking about that does not conform to all of your skepticism. Nor do "shaky cams" present a problem anymore with most cameras coming with built in stabilization programs that ignore any obvious bouncing around.

Vr shows every promise of replacing conventional interfaces in countless applications but, of course, that not something I expect a Luddite to embrace.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I am a skeptic, negative, a luddite if I dont share your dreams of new technologies?

I guess I am a luddite. What is the use of all this crap if most dont have a decent job to be able to afford it

But as for VR and eye tracking, its just not that exciting. So one day my phone might be able to read my eyes so I dont have to use my thumbs......big deal or give me augmented reality, Pokemon Go was a fad for a while, but the world got over it