Is Rock Music Passé?

Discussion in 'Music' started by chirchri, May 12, 2017.

1. chirchri

chirchri Members

Rock music might be dead to some, but to me it is very much alive. Music tends to change with changing time. It is absolutely an individual's choice whether one relates to and enjoys a piece of music or one chooses to shun it for any reason.

Had people been this cynical; Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith, Metallica et al would've never made it big and we all would've been deprived of their enchanting music.

Shed the cynicism and lend an ear to these songs.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Wtf does that word mean??? :D

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Trouble is the old bands used the idiom up. All you get now is derivative and repetitious. No longer new, but yesterday's music as far as I'm concerned.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

How many variations of the same genre can bands really do? As a legit question I've always wondered, new bands come out all the time especially local bands and at some point isn't it inevitable that they would start sounding the same? Well I think metal especially, like death metal riffs do sound very similar after decade or more listen to death metal I can predetermine the change in flow before it happens. It's my special music gift. My ears can read it. :D

5. TMUK

TMUK Members

Bands like Anathema and Porcupine Tree suggest that there is still room for new in the genre.

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah... rock doesn't stop with the classic stuff. But you may identify (good) rock too strong with the great classic stuff so it appears dead or passé or going in directions you don't care for.

Anathema is actually one of the first bands i saw live (in the glorious 90s): they're clearly rock these days but back then it was doom metal :-D So it can even change per band, and not just per genre or subgenre.
    Black metal was the new rock 'n roll (for me at least)!

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Green day here in Sydney this past wednesday, the concert sold out.

I thought that was sad. All their tryhard emo fans would be mid 30s by now.

I didnt go, but i imagined an audience that was a sea of pudgy 30 something bank clerks bringing out the black nail polish and hair fudge for the first time in a decade

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I enjoy some newer Rock music and contrary to some of the other posts I actually hear some fresher sounds in some Rock, granted many of them clearly have their influences as does all music. I think why Rock is not as much of a "Force" as it may have been previously is that some of it's ethos have been adopted effectively by Rap and EDM, and Metal if you want to make that distinction.

Also due to the way we primarily consume music now, via digital format, it gets kind of more diluted. It's hard for me to imagine a band like Pink Floyd really succeeding with the formula they had today, I think their debut album was fairly successful but then really they spent several years releasing fairly obscure material until Dark Side of the Moon. I still listen to and love Classic Rock as well.

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I like some of the stuff I hear, like Imagine Dragons.. the lead guy in that band is talented from what I can tell. Also heard some Alt J at physical therapy a couple of times. They seem unique and ingenious. Most of what I hear though just sounds overplayed. The latest from Coldplay for example, or anything by Green Day. It sounds ok once in awhile, but when it's always on I sort of tune out, and can't enjoy it. Which is sad because they're both great bands. I like Coldplay actually, but I'm tired of it being played so much. It feels out of context somewhat when it's 'played out'. I don't know if that will make sense but that's what I think.

Rock is cool, but I also enjoy house music, and trance (I think they fall under the EDM umbrella). In my car I listen to Sheryl Crow and Tracy Chapman, who are both easily a recommendable act for anyone who likes rock. I also have some Deadmau5 and a Ministry of Sound production for when I want some house or trance to listen to.

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

damn, this makes me wish people had been more cynical.

11. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

There was disco and pop and kids music, out when pink Floyd was around.

Similar situation now with modern rock music.

12. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Green Day is not emo and you sound like a fun person at parties.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Back in the days of classic rock the formula was completely different. Bands were given to the masses via the radio and then the masses went out and bought albums and attended concerts for a reasonable price.

Now mainstream record labels mostly put out absolutely awful electro pop and trap music, and so if one is just flipping casually through local radio stations it is easy to declare rock dead.

Enter the internet. Because of the internet I actually think there is a wider variety of good music than ever available to us, its just harder to find because radio djs are no longer spoon feeding us good music. I discover new bands all the time who are putting out material that sounds fresh, even if it is heavily influenced by old styles.

And of course because no one really makes that much money on album sales anymore, bands who have enjoyed mainstream success charge astronomical ticket prices. Enter the douche bags at green day concerts ;)

2 people like this.
  14. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

The Day Rock Music Becomes Passe It Will Be Over My Dead Body......[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

2 people like this.
  15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Ouch! Hey No Personal Attacks!

I'm not a Huge Green Day Fan and I don't know what they are like now but gotta admit, they are/were pretty awesome live.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

VG started it

I've never seen them live but could probably get into it, particularly if they played mostly older stuff. Dookie was a great album!

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yah! Dookie was the only album I ever owned from them. They weren't like jaw dropping, blow your mind amazing live but they had really good energy. I could tell they love playing, very cohesive and did some fun stuff like invited a kid up to play guitar for one song, a fun show.

18. Scratched

Scratched Members

Hey Irm, if something is considered "Passe`, it's "out of date", "beyond it's shelf life", etc...

Understand now everybody, this is what Stoner Rock/Doom Metal basically is. An attempt to meld late 60s Acid Rock with 70s- 90's Heavy Metal. Just slower tempo with emphasis on riffage, layers of "Fuzz", Wah, etc.
    with vocals that are still singable and not groweled, etc. like modern metal tends to do.

19. Scratched

Scratched Members

20. Honestly I don't listen to a lot of new music. I mostly listen to the stuff I grew up on, though I am open to new music. I know a lot of people who are really into lots of new rock music so I don't see how it can really be passe. They're getting into it and it really means something to them. Mostly what I hear isn't for me, though. A lot of bands these days have that guy that can scream...I think it's really cool that they can scream like that but it seems almost like they're just getting off on being super cool.

Personally I like musicians that don't give all the bullshit going on a second thought. People who are just true to themselves. So I don't think people are that predictable...any time someone can come along who has the balls to be themselves and happens to rock out.