White People With Dreads And Those It Offends

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by unfocusedanakin, May 9, 2017.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Has anyone here ever been approached by black people who are upset that you have dreads? Like they say it's "their culture" and not allowed for white people ? This seems so rude and ignorant to me. I mean I could name many fashions that are "white" but it's just that fashion so it's for everyone. For example I've seen lots of black women with blonde hair. Black people don't naturally have blonde hair.

I think worrying about this kind of stuff only furthers the divide between people. We are all the same. The genetics that make skin color are a fraction of a percent between humans. Hating someone because of their hair is pointless.

The Rasta life is love and acceptance. So if you have dreads and follow that philosophy you need to take a step back and think. I know plenty of black people would say Ratsa is only for black people too. I don't consider myself one but I've been around a lot of them. The dreadlocks are a connection to a higher power. That is something that all are entitled to regardless of color.

1 person likes this.
  2. mizzymorrison

mizzymorrison Sage

Black people who bitch about white people having dreads are very uninformed and just make themselves look like idiots. White people had dreads long before Rastafarians. Its recorded that Celtic culture in the first century BC, I believe, had dreadlocks. They had dreads and tattoos. Black people DID NOT invent the goddamn dreadlock. I get so fucking tired of that stupid shit. Vikings and Germans also had dreads in their history. Its just what happens naturally to caucasian hair. It will naturally dread over time if it has not been groomed. Next time a black person talks shit tell them to read. People always want to run their mouths like they know something. Even though they have never looked into the subject. Or anything important for that matter. Goes for so may things too, not just dreadlocks.

Nirvanagirl likes this.
  3. jpdonleavy

jpdonleavy Members

The problem is that if you play a polka these social justice warriors will accuse you of appropriating Polish culture even while the poles tell you they're complimented by your choice - they've been trying to get polkas onto the TOP 40 for years.

What I fear most though is the death of St. Patrick's Day since that would obviously be cultural appropriation of sacred erse myth - oh, and drinking Guinness . . . well . don't even go there.

1 person likes this.
  4. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Iv'e Had My Dreads For About 7 Years And This Type Of Confrontation Has Never Happened.

In Fact The Two Beautiful African Ladies In Town With Dreads Never Fail To Give Me A Big

Smile And Say Hellow....... :afro:

Cheers Glen.

3 people like this.
  5. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

I hope someone slaps the shit out of this girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDlQ4H0Kdg8

1 person likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Lol @ those black people. I'd like them front up to this character here, for this Yautja wore them the best.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Scratched

Scratched Members

I've never had dreads (yet!)...but when my hair was all fairly long sometimes I would wear a black "do wrap".

Not a bad thing in my locale, but Black guys in Indy downtown would look at me like they wanted to fucking kick my ass!

8. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Oh my fucking god kill me now please.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It's the hair buns I don't like.

10. morrow

morrow Visitor

I like this guy!

https://youtu.be/4OpOo5V08EM

1 person likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Wearing white mans clothes but. >.>

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It was a good video morrow. I like when he starts talking about the side dude. :D

I also liked how the white guy went to Egyptian culture in his argument that wasn't being listen to.

1 person likes this.
  13. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Yeah, this is of course a nonissue.

In all fairness Rasta in all its facets though seems more directed to black people :p and not only that but more specificly those that reside in the americas.
    I mean how many white people feel adressed when its about repatriation to the promised land? ;) (generally Ethiopia). Or feel emperor Selassie was some godly entity or some kind of messiah..?

They also have white mans surnames. Pretty nasty!1!

14. Asmodean

As i understood lots of jamaican Rastas make an acception here when they know a 'batty boy'...

15. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Whatever it's their fucking problem. I've only had one person mutter something as I passed. Mostly I get compliments on mine. Sometimes I'll discuss Indian Sadhus or the fact that I share a birthday with Peter Tosh.

Once in a while white people tell me that I look like Rob Zombie (that's why I chose that as my avatar). I just smile and say "Thank you."

C/S,
    Rev J

1 person likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I always thought your avatar was akin to Rob Zombie. :)

17. Asmodean

Peter Tosh has to share his birthday with a white guy? Outrageous! What has the world come to?!?

18. fundoo

fundoo Members

laughin' my ass off! ha! and yeah, I was wondering about the guy in the background. FreshPrince?? (or that 90s hightop haircut. :p)
    Saw the original video last year, but missed the background guy. :p

--------------
    To the original poster-I haven't had issues yet, mostly because I hide under my partials or I wear hats (yeah, I'm not ashamed, I just do this anyway). But um, haven't had issues. But I feel like if someone did confront me, I'd likely just let them vent, nod and walk away...especially in a case like this. If it got physical or too bad that I couldn't just walk away, I'd say like "look. this is my right. sorry it upsets you. I don't mean to upset you, but if you don't leave me alone now, I'll have to call the authorities." Usually, I'm able to walk passed rude people (not that it happens often), and so I'm used to ignoring. That's what you do. Don't give them the attention that they seek and they usually go away. Right?

i ran out of likes AGAIN. :) But Rob Zombie-well, that IS your avatar then right? or is it you? haha I made this mistake with another member already. :p

19. I think the fact that something like dreads appeals to someone of different races is a testament to the fact that we're all more similar than we are different.

20. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Experience with a random chick on the elevator at my uni says otherwise.

lol