Is It Wrong To Own Nazi Paraphernalia?

Discussion in 'History' started by psymon*, May 4, 2017.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Burn it

2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Burn What ?

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Nazi scum junk

4. Rots in hell

What makes you so upset ? That war was over before you were born Burning Historic Artifacts Wont change or Sanitize What happened :unsure: I would Collect it Along with British artifacts
    Its like Americans wanting to Burn Indian Stuff because of Custer's last stand Its all part of history

5. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Just my personal taste. I don't like war stuff. You're welcome to it.

6. Rots in hell

Thats Fair enough ! If you had Just said that I would never have asked ;)
    My curiosity would have not Been aroused as they say !!

7. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Why on Earth would it be wrong? It's history, bro.

My great grandfather was a WWI flying ace.

I also have ancestors on my mom's side who fought for Germany in WWII.

They were not in the Nazi Party, however.

You need to remember that not all WWII memorabilia is Nazi memorabilia.

Most WWII German soldiers, pilots, and sailors were in fact not in The Party. That is s myth, that they were.

And most also did not do the Nazi salute, either. Hollywood propaganda.

I own several bits of WWII memorabilia. From Germany and the US.

Some of it's worth thousands.

A former military pilot, me, and a huge history nerd.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any other Mil history questions for you.

8. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

You need a history lesson, sir.

Confusing Nazi memorabilia with that of German WWII memorabilia.

The two are not synonymous.

See my post above for more, if you like.

Let me know if you need a link to prove anything I said in it.

Cheers.

2 people like this.
  9. morrow

morrow Visitor

People collect just about everything you can think about!
    I've said it before, as a collector of all things WW1. Your not responsible for your ancestors doings! All you can do, is make sure it never happens again!

I think the op maybe wants to explain what he really means. Nazi and German soldiers are 2 different things.
    German soldiers suffered just like our soldiers.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Its not a myth that most german soldiers were in the nazi party. It's common knowledge that most weren't. They were just soldiers.
    Almost everybody brought the heil Hitler salute though. It was an obligation most of the time.

11. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Wrong.

Luftwaffe pilots were especially custom to NOT rendering the salute. I invite you to research this yourself. I just read a great book called "A Higher Call" that told about an extraordinary event between an American B-17 pilot and a German Me-109 pilot. Much information and quotes by both men, including details on life among the Luftwaffe. If you enjoy WWII history and especially air war stuff I invite you to check it out.

cheers.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But my American made TV documentary and movie package, a long with the history books written by American historians tells me otherwise!!

13. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

Wrong.

The so called Nazi or Hitler salute wasn't mandated or even common in the wehrmacht until very late in the war. And the luftwaffe was notorious for never doing it.

An excerpt from a wiki article on the topic.....

The Wehrmacht refused to adopt the Hitler salute officially and was able for a time to maintain its own customs.[46] A compromise edict from the Reich Defense Ministry, released on 19 September 1933, required the Hitler salute of soldiers and uniformed civil servants while singing the "Horst Wessel Lied" and national anthem, and in non-military encounters both within and outside the Wehrmacht (for example, when greeting members of the civilian government). At all other times they were permitted to use their traditional salutes.[46] Use of the Hitler salute was also permitted when in uniform. However, it is of importance to note that according to (pre-Nazi) Reichswehr and Wehrmacht protocol, the traditional military salute was not permitted when the saluting soldier was not wearing a uniform headgear (helmet or cap). Because of this, all salutes performed bareheaded, even when in full uniform and on duty, made the Nazi salute de facto mandatory in most situations.[47]

Only after the 20 July Plot in 1944 were the military forces of the Third Reich ordered to replace the standard military salute with the Hitler salute, as a show of loyalty in deference to the fact that it was Army officers that had been responsible for the assassination attempt.[48] The order went into effect on 24 July 1944.[48] The use of the Hitler salute by the military had been discussed as early as January 1944 in a conference regarding traditions in the military at Hitler's headquarters. Field Marshal Wilhelm Keitel, head of the Armed Forces, had expressed a desire to standardize the salute across all organizations in Germany.[49]

On the night of 3 January 1942, Hitler stated the following about the compromise edict of 1933:[29]

I imposed the German salute for the following reason. I'd given orders, at the beginning, that in the Army I should not be greeted with the German salute. But many people forgot. Fritsch drew his conclusions, and punished all who forgot to give me the military salute, with fourteen days' confinement to barracks. I, in turn, drew my conclusions and introduced the German salute likewise into the Army.

14. Asmodean

So the luftwaffe was the exception. And it wasn't the official military salute from the start. Doesn't make me wrong ;)
    Both soldiers and civilians massively brought the Hitler salute, especially in crowds, if not out of conviction then often out of a sense of obligation and peer pressure.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And because it's fun to yell out Heil!! too I bet. :D

16. morrow

morrow Visitor

17. Asmodean

All Hollywood nonsense, Morrow! ;)

18. One Man Band

One Man Band Member

If you wish to avoid repeating the past, these artifacts are excellent educational tools. I inherited a few items and they help tell the terrible story. It leaves the page and becomes real when you can touch it.

19. Marooned-rude-rebel-ronin

Marooned-rude-rebel-ronin Members

F--- Nazis along with all facists from the depths of my soul !!! With that being said, wrong and right is determined by your heart, mind , soul and is no one else right to deny you your freedom of choice friend. otherwise, they themselves would then become the thing they claim to condemne, (fascists), as well as Hippocrites and simple minds thereby relieving you of any perceived obligation you feel to give a Rat's ass what they think about your choice of possessions . And lastly, I must say as proud race mixer, war detester,and lifelong anti-nazi ,anti-fascist, anti-authority,anti-government , anarchistic freedom fighter that those evil waste of skin failures did indeed have stunningly awesome designs across the board in every aspect from asthetics to function and well worth preserving. good day brother.

20. Marooned-rude-rebel-ronin

Marooned-rude-rebel-ronin Members

F--- Nazis along with all facists from the depths of my soul !!! With that being said, wrong and right is determined by your heart, mind , soul and is no one else right to deny you your freedom of choice friend. otherwise, they themselves would then become the thing they claim to condemne, (fascists), as well as Hippocrites and simple minds thereby relieving you of any perceived obligation you feel to give a Rat's ass what they think about your choice of possessions . And lastly, I must say as proud race mixer, war detester,and lifelong anti-nazi ,anti-fascist, anti-authority,anti-government , anarchistic freedom fighter that those evil waste of skin failures did indeed have stunningly awesome designs across the board in every aspect from asthetics to function and well worth preserving. good day brother.