Bill Nye You're Dead To Me

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fueled by Coffee, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

People also arent ridicuously obsessed with people who have depression or other mental disorders.

I just dont get why people care. Let people live their lives and go about your own day.

I agree about the kids, it shouldnt be legal for a child to take hormones, but otherwise..I can think of a million more important things to worry about than what grown adults are doing with their bodies.

1 person likes this.
  2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I agree. If "scientists" like Nye can question what defines gender, and open up a discussion that it's on a spectrum. Then we should be able to have an open discussion on global warming, and not have to worry about being thrown in prison for having an unpopular opinion.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

^ honestly, I always thought that fragile stickers were for the benefit of whoever is receiving the package. It never occurred to me that it would be for the postal workers. Not that postal workers aren't rough with packages, just that they aren't going to change what they do with a package over a sticker.

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

right, so how about not pounding on him for his?

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The science guy has some tough competition..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

in other words, his honesty offends some people's age prejudice.

is that what this whole bitching fest is about?

if it is, well sorry, not my problem. nor his.

nor that of the real universe we all live in,

whether our beliefs like it or not.

when has "family values" ever not been a euphamistic code phrase for the prejudice of ageism?

i nether love nor hate, support nor oppose, any nation, ideology nor belief,

but a culture of hating honesty and logic, has never boded well, for anything resembling civilization.

it is thus that europe descended into the barbarity of the middle ages, that took a 'revolution' of innovation,
    that made many mistakes making up for the time lost to that thousand years of poverty and barbarity.

is this what people who hate logic and honesty want?

maybe people aren't thinking about what they want, but by ignorance or choice, that is the price of it.

and europe's middle ages aren't the only example either.

and the other thing, the climate thing, yes its real, yes we're causing it, and yes its only a very few degrees over the span of a year.

not enough that you'd ever notice, were it not for the effect it has on other things.

the ocean rises a few feet, very slowly. from ice melting over the years and decades.

still not itself an alarming thing, but not one without consiquences or problems either.

people fight wars over diminishing resources, but that is only because there are too many of us to begin with.

diseases mutate into new and unfamiliar forms. it takes time to find and develop cures or treatments for them.

time that they will begin to mutate faster then.

of course there can be no certainty as to how much or what kind of harm this will cause,

but there is a very reasonable near certainty, that it will NOT be as completely harmless as the near sighted and greedy,

would like, and would like us all, to imagine and pretend.

and this whole point, of distorting and fanaticizing belief, that is what it is about, to hide their arrogant indifference to harming others behind.

wake up and smell the sludge.

7. 6-eyed shaman

The difference is that I don't advocate for throwing gender spectrum advocates in prison camps. I just don't want gender studies programs to be taught at public universities.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the difference is that neither do they. this is just a repeat of making the same lying excuse.

sorry. people might be convinced of it. those who want an excuse to hate to begin with. who look for and find that excuse in their beliefs.

but the real universe that doesn't begin and end with what anyone wants to believe, isn't buying it. and niether is anyone who is honest with themselves.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Who is advocating climate change deniers be thrown in prison?

10. 6-eyed shaman

1 person likes this.
  11. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Nye holds patents for ballet point shoes, an educational magnifying glass, and a hydraulic resonance suppressor tube used on 747 airplanes.
    He has worked on business jet navigation systems, laser gyroscope systems, and a sundial for the Mars Exploration Rover.

He holds a BS in mechanical engineering from Cornell, and has honorary doctor of science form the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Johns Hopkins University, Willamette University, Rutgers University, and Simon Fraser University. He also holds an honorary doctor's degree in pedagogy from Lehigh University. He was a professor at Cornell from 2001 to 2006. From 2005 to 2010 he was vice president of The Planetary Society, he then became the executive director.

1 person likes this.
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

"Was it appropriate to jail the guys from Enron?” Nye asked in a video interview with Climate Depot’s Marc Morano in April. “We’ll see what happens. Was it appropriate to jail people from the cigarette industry who insisted that this addictive product was not addictive, and so on?”

“In these cases, for me, as a taxpayer and voter, the introduction of this extreme doubt about climate change is affecting my quality of life as a public citizens,” the former children’s TV host said at the time. “So I can see where people are very concerned about this, and they’re pursuing criminal investigations as well as engaging in discussions like this.”

I assume this is the interview to which the YouTube video is referring.

13. 6-eyed shaman

The 1930s eugenicists thought that Jews were affecting their quality of life as citizens

14. MeAgain

Bachelor of Science degrees are awarded in a number of fields. A B.S. degree focuses more on the selected subject area, there are less electives than a Bachelor of Arts.
    I have a B.S in Education with a certification in Technology.

Cornell University offers a B.S. in Science with 14 different majors in its Engineering college.
    For example:

You are correct about him not having a patent on the Quincke tube. Apparently all he did was play a major part in developing a way of utilizing the concept in Boeing 747's. As an employee of Boeing he may not have been able to patent anything he worked on there.
    Bill never claimed he invented the Quincke tube, and he has never claimed to be a scientist.

He did appear in training films and worked as a stand up comedian a well as numerous other public appearances. He holds two patents...I have none.

He has six honorary degrees...again I have none.

Be that as it may, Bill Nye is a spokesman for science with at least one degree in a technical field, has worked in many technical areas that involve scientific principles, and has achieved many honors in both science and technology.

He has always stated that he wanted to follow in the footsteps of Don Herbert AKA TV's Mr. Wizard. Herbert graduated with a teaching degree in English with a minor in general science. I assume teachers needed a B.S. in 1940...but I don't know for sure. He worked as an actor before developing his TV show.

Bill is doing an excellent job of carrying on for Don Herbert.​

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Lot of willful ignorance in this thread. I feel comfort seeing my posts get a few likes from others who also posted. It shows me the world is not all stupid. Just answer me this question what does a "lie" about global warming gain? The only answer I have heard is that is' a conspiracy to make America noncompetitive economically. Well then why does most of the world besides the US and China play by these new rules?

Science is not politcal it is only fact. You think scientists want to tear society apart with a lie or something to that effect? Plenty of people in the field voted for each party. However this thread shows that Republicans are not really interested in science. So over time people with more European ideals of goverment tend to go into the field. But no one is stopping a Trump voter from being educated but the Trump voter. College is an evil place full of liberal ideas in other words ideas that can be proven so it's a place you should not go. There are many interpretations of fact so my ignorance is as good as your knowladge.

If Nye has the same credentials but said what you wanted to hear he would be a scientist then. Let's say he is still a public figure but denies global warming. He would be all over Fox Trump type news outlets held up as the "only scientist willing to tell the truth in a world of liberal lies" just as the scientists (who are the minority by far) who for whatever reason dispute it. You know this is true and that's what makes you hypocrites

It's just sad to me to see people so blindly alliogned with their party that they mock facts. I feel as though I am living in medieval times and someone has suggested the Earth is flat. There is a hive mind mentality and a fear of change.

There was a time when science was god in America. During the Cold War every child was drilled with it. Science and math so our population can fight the Russians and so we can compete on the international economic market. Don't Republicans long for the America of old? Well that is a country where the nonsense you speak now would be called just that.

1 person likes this.
  16. 6-eyed shaman

These people on here trust a scientist who actually believes there are more than two genders.

Let that sink in.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The examples Nye used, particularly the cigarette example, were meant to provide examples of when an industry deliberately misrepresented, misinterpreted, or outright falsified data to provide a false conclusion, which later turned out to be to the detriment of the public good.

Another example, something that recently came to light actually, is the sugar industry's use of misinformation to villify fat all the while putting sugar and other fillers into fat free food - which of course we now know was to the detriment of the public good because it contributed to the obesity epidemic and spike in the rate of diabetes.

Just an example, not trying to get off topic.

Should a scientist employed by a fossil fuel industry who purposely misconstrues data to the benefit of his employer and to the detriment of the public good face prosecution? Possibly, although I would rather focus on his/her employers.

I'm not so sure Bill Nye is suggesting any scientist who questions anthropogenic climate change be jailed, and that wouldn't fly anyways. There wouldnt be a case unless a prosecutor could prove data was deliberately misconstrued or falsified for profit.

18. MeAgain

It depends on how you define gender.
    In humans biologically, as to physical reproductive organs, there is male, female, and hermaphrodite.

In considering chromosomes we have female ( XX), males (XY), and various other somewhat less common arrangements such as phenotypic males with XXY, XX, and X and there are XY, females, etc. There are some individuals with chromosome arrangements of XXXX, XXYY, XXXXX, XXXXY and XYYYY.[5]

And then we could get into the many disorders of physical sexual development such as Congenital adrenal hyperplasia in which case a female (XX) may have an enlarged clitoris which makes it difficult to tell by sight whether she is a boy or girl. And so on.

And I haven't gotten into mental gender confusion brought on by hormonal disorders.

1 person likes this.
  19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

How he is not a mechanical engineer? He has a degree in mechanical engineering and worked at Boeing ..as an engineer. That was his job title.
    I'm not following.

20. MeAgain

Yes I read and proof read everything I post. I will admit that I sometimes fail to catch a grammatical error and there are times when I have been wrong.

I didn't brag about his patent on the magnifying glass, I stated it as a fact.
    I didn't say he was the sole designer of the 747 part, I said he was a major contributor to its implementation. Notice I corrected myself when I said he had a patent on it.

The 747 entered service in 1970, it flew before it entered service. Nye started working for Boeing in 1987. So what? They made many improvements and different models of the 747.

Yes, bravo for Nye continuing the great work of Don Herbert, I'm glad we agree on that.

Bill Nye has a degree from Cornell for mechanical engineering. My son has a degree in mechanical engineering, he's the lead designer of various products at the company he works at. He is given design parameters, develops a solution to address those parameters, and then uses SolidWorks to draw his designs which are reviewed before being sent to the shop for construction.

I never said that Bill Nye was instrumental in getting the 747 off the ground.

The 747-100 entered service on January 22, 1970 followed by the 100B , SR, BSR SUD, and BSR, the 747-200 in 1971, the 747SP in 1976, then the 747SUD and EUD were folowed by the 747-300 in 1980. In 1989 the 747- 400 came out and later the 747ER, in 2005 the 747-8 was launched. (There were other models but I got tired listing them all).
    Currently a 747-8 is being adapted for use as Air Force One, to be completed in 2020. Boeing is also building 20 747-8 freighters, four have been completed at this time. Production of the 747 was scheduled to cease in 2019 but UPS Airlines ordered 14 747-8s last October so production may extend until 2022.

So no, the 747 isn't grounded today. It continues to fly and be improved upon.