Another Flying Car

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Wu Li Heron, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

http://hothardware.com/news/aeromobil-wants-to-get-your-george-jetson-on-with-its-flying-car

This one does about 124mph and only has a range of 466 miles making it similar to any small private airplane, but its just one of many proposed flying cars which NYC and LA have already installed on-ramps and off-ramps for that go nowhere and others looking into commercializing the first air taxis. Theoretically, there's no damned reason you can't fly at over 350mph in an electric flying car that does almost vertical take-off and landing and can charge for over a 1,000 mile range. Dealing with all the vibrations is one of the problems but, that shouldn't be a serious obstacle. What this model illustrates is how affordable they can become when mass produced with drones being especially affordable these days and how the US and others might soon insist on GPS ability to override the pilot.

2. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Fuck that.

I bet these things wont be noisy as fuck.

Kind of pisses on Donald Trump's wall though.

Also good for terrorism.

3. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

That's something the NSA is already looking into and they've already demanded someone come up with a way to deal with drones by 2020. Electric versions that should follow in the next ten years should be incredibly quiet.

4. The Walking Dickhead

How is an electric drone/flying car going to be quiet?

5. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Never heard of a stealth helicopter I assume. Already the acoustics and materials are becoming a mature science and you can actively even inject noise into an engine that cancels out most of the noise it generates and even the prop wash on the blades can be softened to a significant degree using materials that bend or any number of approaches. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to keep it down to around 40 decibels or less for take-off and from altitude you would hardly hear anything.

1 person likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

If everyone had a flying car, how would you regulate all that air traffic?

7. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

My father worked in the Pentagon helping to build some of the original GPS satellites. There's no reason AI cannot be built into every car and lawn mower and controlled using satellites or any number of systems including cellphone bandwidth as just another aspect of the IoT or internet of things. Its things like this which have compelled the industry to seriously invest in exploring the underlying quantum mechanics and quantum cryptography involved and the fuzzy logic and AI. You could say we already need to rewire the entire infrastructure of power and communications to create what is called a fabric or mesh system that provides the highest possible efficiency for the overall distribution, but it will require another twenty years to get all the basic mathematics, physics, and technology sorted out so, instead, we are merely upgrading what we have in the meantime.

AI and a theory of everything are central to such efforts which revolve around producing the lowest possible energy state, lowest latency, and highest efficiency possible, but every company including MS, Intel, Nvidia, and AMD are already moving in this direction as their central focus. The next ten years should make the original invention of the transistor and microprocessor look tame. In order for the computer revolution to continue they have had to shift in this direction towards more analog logic and they know it. You could say mother nature is forcing industry to become more organic or go extinct leveraging their own aggressive nature against them.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You can have your sewing machine air cars and green automobiles, I'm still gone have my Ranger Truck and its still going to get me to parts of the world you ain't gone be able to fly to.

And I'm gonna drive that truck down the highway with whale skin hubcaps and big brown baby seal eyes for headlights yeah! And I'm gonna drive around in that baby, getting 1 mile per gallon, knocking down cheeseburgers in the old fashion non degradable styrofoam food containers and there ain't a lickin' thing anyone can do about it you know why? Because I'll have the bomb! That's why! Two words. Nuclear fucken Weapons, okay! Russia, Romania, America they can have the democracy they want, they can eat a big democracy cake and walk right through the middle of the international squares and it won't make a difference because I'll drop the bomb.

Plus that also knocks out any aerial mobiles too, dropping the bomb. ;) I've seen Broken Arrow, I know how this shit works. :D

9. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Flying cars that can do 350mph could theoretically be mass produced for the price of a luxury car and make it possible to commute from places like West Virginia to D.C. in half an hour changing the nature of real estate as we know it. Already Tokyo has made plans to build the first self-sustained city in a single giant pyramid shaped building that will include, for course, ways for flying cars to come and go from higher floors just like the Jetsons. It will also include parks, malls, and its own hospital so people will never have to leave the building but, if they do, they could be anywhere in Japan within half an hour. If you wanted to fly from the east coast to the west you could do it in a couple of hours making two stops for fuel and the theoretical limit of what is easy to do without burning fuel like a rocket is somewhere around 600mph or so, but five hundred is probably a more reasonable figure for what we might see anytime in the foreseeable future.

Already there is no reason whatsoever that someone can't send thousands of drones armed with explosives through the bedroom window of every major politician in the country all at once. Its the kind of nightmare scenario that preoccupies governments and may explain why flying cars have been delayed, but the technology to make them incredibly cheap and commonplace is now being developed. The hyperloop is one alternative, but building just one track will take decades and this technology is already about to take off with the introduction of supercapacitors and dirt cheap high performance magnets. One flying car, the M400 Mollar has four engines and comes with a parachute that lands the entire car and four passengers in case two or more engines fail.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

350mph for civilians in a passenger transport vehicle? Can't see it that ever coming to fruition.

Folks can't even drive at 40mph safely.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I do see one plus to this future- topia....less road kill.....;)
    but, I am afraid there will be many collisions in the air....:(

12. Moonglow181

Now about living in a pyramid....no seeing the stars at night?
    or walking along the oceans?

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

unless a ranger is something else in germany, it's a tiny little truck with relatively good gas mileage...

i drive a ranger, and sometimes i feel like i could drive right under the big trucks with the plastic balls hanging from the hitch and the confederate flags flying out the back window.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yeah but then the Dennis Leary song I'm an Asshole doesn't work if I talk truths. :D

Yes the Ranger is a light truck compared to American trucks but IMO the Ranger looks better being smaller. I don't like the big American ones. Something looks very off about the size and shape.

[​IMG]

Let's take a look at this American Ford Truck. I mean the tray size just doesn't suit the rest of the vehicle it's like Ford went "well every redneck is a fat bastard so let's increase the cabin size tenfold and leave them no tray room because they're too lazy to work anyway" or on other models "let's make the tray so big that it's almost non functional because of its size". There's no medium, plus our roads aren't that wide.

Also typical American vehicles, bricks with no aero. :D

Wheras my style Ranger

[​IMG]

I believe is a complementing looking truck that isn't oversized for no good reason.

This white XLT is exactly like mine, except I've now added a don't argue bar to mine. :)

[​IMG]

15. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Not with Google's new Self-Flying Car!! :D

16. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

does tray = bed?

assuming so, it looks about the same size in the pictures you show? how big is that, 4' x 4'?

mine looks pretty much like this (except red and starting to rust along the edges):

[​IMG]

the bed is 6' by i think 4'. the width is fine, but i would actually like it to be a little longer. even another 6 inches would have come in handy more times than i can remember.

i agree that in most cases the big trucks are kind of stupid and pointless. there are obviously uses for them, but most people that have them are just the wannabe rednecks that want a big loud truck so they can drive it to the beach and do donuts around random families. the only point of my original post was that you were talking about your big uneconomical truck, when it's actually a small truck that's probably more fuel efficient than a lot of cars.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The old Trucks look really good, I like your one because it isn't trying to be aero but the red one I posted, it's like they've tried to mould an aero look with an old school look and it just doesn't work for me.

We don't see too many of those size Trucks over here maybe the odd Ford and a Dodge every so often and well they're too big for me. Maybe if I was man, but too big for a girl. =p

I don't have any confederate flags just yet, but I've got a NASCAR Camping World Truck Series insignia on the rear with a #24 below and Denver broncos logo and a SB50 champions logo. They're all magnets. =p

18. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

The pyramid building has entire floors dedicated to the outdoors including looking up at the night sky if you want or out on Tokyo. Being able to fly to any beach you want in a few minutes is one of the perks of otherwise spending time in the city. A flying car that does 350 miles an hour can go from NYC to the Appalachians if you want in half an hour. More people would likely choose to live in the country and commute to larger cities changing real estate values.

1 person likes this.
  19. Moonglow181

Yeah......nothing like nature and the outdoors....:)

Nothing like getting back to nature.....:)

20. The Walking Dickhead

It's just not feasible to allow the commercial proliferation of flying cars for a number of reasons-

- safety
    - where to land if you suddenly run out of fuel/battery
    - noise pollution (I don't buy the argument that they will not be noisy. They will be noisy as fuck)
    - terrorist threat
    - not feasible to rely on automated gps networks as this could fail
    - risk of mid air collisions
    - nature of the design means they would not be able to cope with sudden gusts of high wind
    - a lot more difficult to control cross border migration
    - criminals could use them as getaway flying cars which would make apprehendending them more difficult and dangerous to the public

Sorry to destroy your Back To The Future-esque fantasies, but flying cars are never going to be commercially available.

1 person likes this.