Is Climate Change Making You Sick?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Moonglow181, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I can see your point. Science is the reason the industrial revolution happened and the world is now a polluted dumping ground

Its a double edged sword, it can be used for good or evil.

We all have a longer, better quality of life than our ancestors but the earth has suffered for it for sure

1 person likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Is Irmi's point that because the military benefits from science, and the military has deadly weapons that they sometimes use, science is so dangerous that we should abandon it? Or just something bad/evil that will always be used to get rid of enemies? Just because tools will always be used for such things as well doesn't change how much we as a whole have advanced with it as well.
    Also, we need to apply science to counter the human caused pollution. Which is real (even if global warming would not be human caused) and very serious. To apply some smart sounding principle like "hey just like the sun will come up tomorrow morning, so nature will even itself out, guaranteed!" is naive bordering on stupidity. People who think humans as a whole do not impact the ozone layer, coral reefs, the overall state of the oceans, rain forests etc to a point of no return must be missing some info. The good thing though is that theres also a large chance science also offers the solution to many of these issues. In the end it is how humans use it.

Yeah, too bad our ancestors figured out how to make fire as well. It kills people!

We all can make a choice in wether we as an individual are gonna be part of the problem or the solution.

3. Asmodean

The military and the polluting industries.

4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

no my point was that if you give money to science and think it's going to good use it might not be.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

and that MEN are the problem and we need to evacuate them. :D

6. Asmodean

Yeah men were in charge 99% of the time so it can't be denied they're the cause of the current state of the planet. Maybe this is why transgender is on the rise: males trying to escape their guilt. I'm onto something here!

Edit: I bet I can find some religious principles that back this hypothesis up! ;)

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

there are very, very few things in this reality that are not "double edged swords" simply because that is how the system functions.
    everywhere we look in the natural world there are checks and balances, actions and reactions, yin and yang.
    it is one of the underlying paradoxes of this reality. damned if ya do, damned if ya don't.
    everything and ALL processes in the universe move towards equilibrium, balance and homogeneity.
    that strive for balance is what drives all chemical reactions, controls all interactions between energy and matter at both the micro and macro levels and also carries over into our own cognitive process and "spiritual" endeavors and thought.

the caveat is whenever everything in the universe does achieve equilibrium and is balanced, does the universe then come to a grinding halt because without imbalance and disparity there is no impetus for change.

when all the colors bleed into one it will be kinda boring, don't ya think?

1 person likes this.
  8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

That would be interesting. Can't off the top of my head think of anything in particular at the moment - I'll think about it though.............

9. Asmodean

That was ment tongue in cheek. Wouldn't spend too much time on it!

10. Asmodean

True in some cases. In a lot of instances people don't just 'give money to science' but to a particular kind of scientific research or development and can verify the use and goals. If enough people do that it might even outweigh the dubious investments that indeed also happen on pretty much a daily basis. Seems very worthwile and important.

11. ahsorandy

ahsorandy Members

Tell me, what doesn't make us sick, eventually?

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie