Rising Star Jon Ossoff

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Moonglow181, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I am so excited by him...Go, Jon!
    Win in June!

What a dream team he and Bernie would be eventually.....

Sanders and Ossoff for Presidency!...or maybe Ossoff, as young as he is...will take it all the way to the presidency! What a dream come true that would be....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMv4d7IiwwU

2 people like this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I dont know anything about him but he's cute

I will have to look into him, it would be nice to have a younger person with the same politics and morality as Sanders step to the forefront of the political stage, Bernie cant carry the torch forever

1 person likes this.
  3. Moonglow181

Yeah, that he is, too....:D

4. Moonglow181

quote from my email from MoveOn.org....

"Dear MoveOn member,

Tonight the ground shifted beneath our feet.

In a district where Republicans have won easily for decades, progressive Democrat Jon Ossoff has won a commanding victory tonight, with a first-place finish that will give him much-needed momentum for a likely runoff election in June. And it’s all thanks to you.

When Donald Trump took office just 88 days ago, it was hard to hold onto hope.

Now, Trump is reeling under scandal and investigations, Republicans in Congress are facing down outraged citizens at every town hall, and the GOP plan to take away health care from 24 million Americans is stalled out.

Many Democrats are embracing a bold progressive platform, riding a wave of resistance energy, and now have a real shot of doing what nobody thought was possible: winning back control of Congress in 2018.

So take a minute to celebrate tonight and believe in this resistance movement we've built, because we've still got a long fight ahead of us.

Even before the likely Georgia runoff, in just 37 days, we have the chance to send another Trump-resisting, progressive Democrat to Congress in Montana—progressive cowboy, musician, and poet Rob Quist.

Will you chip in $3 to support Rob Quist and MoveOn's efforts to send him to Congress?

Yes, I'll chip in to support the Rob Quist campaign and MoveOn's effort to help send him to Congress.

A key part of Jon Ossoff's success was that his campaign was powered by tens of thousands of small donations from progressives across the country. Republican Super PACs poured millions into the race, but Ossoff had the resources to respond to every attack and get out the vote.

MoveOn members stepped up big time too. Over 16,000 of us contributed over $314,000 to help fund Ossoff's campaign. MoveOn members outside the district targeted over 10,000 progressive voters in the district with a texting blitz. Strong member support also allowed us to launch a last-minute ad blitz throughout the district in the final week, highlighting Republican support for the deeply unpopular bill to repeal the ACA.

That's exactly what it'll take to win in Montana. Rob Quist is running a progressive populist campaign in the mold of Bernie Sanders. In fact, Bernie just announced that he will be campaigning alongside Quist throughout the state next month.1

Here's what Quist says in his great new ad running in Montana now:

"Did you know that in Congress there are are nearly 300 millionaires? No wonder their so-called health care reform was just another tax break for the rich. No wonder they want to sell our public lands to private developers and hand our Social Security to Wall Street. This should not be the millionaires club; this is the House of Representatives."2

Far-right Republican millionaire Greg Gianforte is expected to pour millions of his own money into the Montana race. He spent $6 million of his own money to try to win the Montana governor's race last year but was defeated by five points (even though Trump won the state by 20 points). Right-wing groups are also pouring in money, since they know that this race will go down to the wire.

And just as we did successfully in Georgia, MoveOn will be mobilizing our 19,000 Montana members to join the Quist campaign, creating powerful videos promoting Quist and holding the Republicans accountable, and using the latest innovations and technology to help get out the vote.

As Jon Ossoff heads to a likely runoff after all the results are in tonight, we'll double down on our efforts supporting him and boosting his bold progressive message.

We know there is more work to do to elect Ossoff, but for tonight, let’s celebrate this victory get right to work on winning the next fight.

Donate $3—or whatever you can afford—today to Rob Quist and MoveOn's campaign to put him over the top. Let's keep the resistance strong and Donald Trump on the ropes.

Thanks for all you do.

—Matt, Maria, Elsie, Schuyler, and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Bernie Sanders coming to Montana to campaign for Rob Quist," Missoulian, April 17, 2017
    http://act.moveon.org/go/9619?t=4&akid=181596.17954473.-R9B8q

2. "Montana Democrat Embraces Economic Populism In Congressional Campaign," The Huffington Post, April 15, 2017
    http://act.moveon.org/go/9620?t=6&akid=181596.17954473.-R9B8q"

5. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

Moonglow, I like Jon and I donated money to him twice yesterday. The GOP is shipping truckloads of millions to be used against him. I hope the good people will send lots of money to Jon Ossoff. I want to see the children of Jim Crow out of Congress and the White House!

1 person likes this.
  6. Moonglow181

I know...Jon is a proverbial thorn in the GOP's side......but I believe in him, his energy and hopefully, he will prevail. Many people like him and are excited by him.....and hopefully , that just keeps snowballing and blows the GOP away this time.....

Good for you, Storm Mountain....:)

7. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

He's not much of a thorn, he's a virtually unknown rookie who doesn't even qualify to vote in the district. In Atlanta there's a substantial stigma about politicians who don't actually live where they claim to represent. It's also very difficult here to get democrats out of the house to vote in a runoff election like this. And this district is majority republican, so Karen Handel, crooked as she is, will likely win in June.

I will say though that the attack ads have been glorious, even on the radio. And with over 90% of Ossoff's money coming from out of state, he's just going to look like another puppet and they don't do so well here. But there's always a wild card like Hank Johnson who actually suggested that Guam would capsize if the US kept sending military personnel there. So Ossoff does have a slim chance. I wouldn't bet on him though.

8. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG] bump

2 people like this.
  9. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

Can I call them or what? All the way to election day the ONLY attack points the democrats ran on were Handel's Lexus, which was actually ordered by the previous seat-holder and only delivered on her watch. Then the "$15,000" for office chairs, again ordered by the previous administration AND it was more than just a few chairs AND they had to be supplied by a state-approved vendor, so there's no way she just wrote a state check one day on a whim as the STUPID attack ads implied. And last, the trips she made to Asia, to pitch for jobs, which she basically got at long last.

The democrats wasted $30 million on this rookie. I guess after their "success" with Obama, another Washington rookie, they went into full "our shit don't stink" mode and assumed they could simply install an unknown puppet by shelling out the green. What's really funny is watching all the dumb locals manage to con SO much out of state money. What about the other close election that will not be $30M short? They should have let Georgia go, they already think it's packed to the rafters with stupid white racists.

Another funny thing was hearing all of the Ossoff ads being played on the "conservative" radio station. Talk about tossing money into a dumpster. Imagine how Ossoff's attack ads sounded between segments of Limbaugh. That station literally stole all that democrat money. The real shame is that Handel is indeed a crooked old hag, but Ossoff's team never turned up any real dirt. Now she rides in as Georgia's first woman in congress, as a republican. Instead of Ossoff, a skinny little honkey who was probably fathered by Anthony Weiner, the democrats SHOULD have backed a "wise Latina". Instead, they banked on how easy it would be to waste a bunch of stupid white southerners.

10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Laughing my Ossoff.

Wish I would've come up with that first.

11. Moonglow181

Go ahead an laugh your osshoff...typical Republican response...It does not matter if a Republican has no qualitfications under their belt to be part of the govt, as long as they are A REPUBLICAN!
    Gotcha....and the typical odious republican thinking.

Us and them....Yeah, our team got another member YAY!!!!!!!

Good for you.

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

person with the most votes wins

i find it hard to understand what all the bitching is about...the system is easy...vote for who you want and live with whatever the result is until next time

just imagine what could happen if both sides collaborated and negotiated to actually get things done instead of constantly bickering and fighting

1 person likes this.
  13. Moonglow181

It is kind of hard to work with anyone who keeps insulting....libtards....whiners....criers.....shut our pie holes....and on and on...makes for good relations...and good feelings, I guess.

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

typical democrat response

lmao

15. Moonglow181

Well, for your information, I don't like all Democrats all of the time, either. I look at people individually and like who I like and not like who I don't like. that is my right, just as it is your right to laugh at anything I say.....Have at it. It does not really bother me, anymore.

I know who I am and what i stand for. I stand for freedom in all things except if it interferes with someone else's freedom or rights...., democracy.....and I don't want the govt dictating what I can smoke or what any female can do with her body. I am for the environment....and these things are most important to me.....anyone running who is the lesser of two evils with my concerns happens to be Democratic, is all.

....but as a Conservative concern...I would not open my house up to anyone without knowing who they are first, either, and whether or not their intentions are good or not....but I do have a heart for those who do not mean me any harm.

and I do have Republican friends.....and we have had heated debates on the verge of arguments before.......so I just try to find things we do have in common to keep bonded with them with and steer the conversation with them away from politics and it is usually they who are starting any convo...and I have to go silent and change the subject. It is not worth the heated debates and upset to me anymore. They are free to be what they are....and so am I, and on certain things, sometimes there is no meeting of the minds, is all..

1 person likes this.
  16. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i was laughing at my own response and honestly would have posted it no matter what you said :Mr-T:

1 person likes this.
  17. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Karen Handel is the first woman to represent the state of Georgia. Another glass ceiling shattered. Where's all the feminists?

18. Beutsecks

Beutsecks Large Rooster

Trying to explain to their commie masters why so many women in the 6th district voted in the rain for a republican. Personally I am astounded at the turnout for a runoff election. Traditionally in Georgia the runoff is known for meager turnout, often only a few thousand making the decision for over a half million people. It's usually a lazy election cycle.

What's really interesting in the 5th and 6th districts is how race plays out. The 5th district consistently elects the same guy, since the late 80s, because he is black and a civil rights "icon". Nobody there seems to notice his lackluster accomplishments in office. The 4th district also votes strictly along color lines and pushed people like Cynthia McKinney, who blamed Jews when she lost reelection. Now they have Hank "Guam's gonna capsize if we keep putting troops there" Johnson, again lackluster leadership, but at least he's black.

The 6th district is predominantly white, so the fact they ran 2 honkies was not a shock. After all, it was Newt's district. But Ossoff didn't have a strategy beyond trying to outspend the republicans on ads, which is always easy, republicans are cheap bastards. But his team never expanded their talking points. They never revealed other issues that would have certainly made people think twice about her. So maybe he was bought off or it was a planned failure designed to help pack the Trump administration with genuine crooks. Only time will tell.

But hey, Georgia "made history" by finally sending a woman to the 6th congressional district. The suffragettes would have been so proud!

19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

LOL Thank you whoever bumped this.

20. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Maybe they read about her history of voter suppression and decided they wouldn't let gender get in the way of concern about racial equality and voter rights.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2017/4/21/1655042/-Karen-Handel-is-a-longtime-soldier-in-the-Republican-war-on-voting
    https://thinkprogress.org/the-gop-candidate-in-that-georgia-special-election-is-a-pioneering-vote-suppressor-34de8e90d2f4
    https://www.nationofchange.org/2017/06/19/karen-handel-voter-suppression-georgias-6th/
    https://rewire.news/article/2017/06/09/karen-handel-georgia-s-discriminatory-voter-id-law-her-most-important-accomplishment/

She won in a district with an historic Republican bias. The fact that the election was much closer than expected may tell us that there is hope for the future.

1 person likes this.