Mother Earth

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by gina08, Apr 18, 2017.

1. gina08

gina08 Members

how we can save

2. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Which bit do you want to save ( sounds like a big job to me ) guy in our street scatters wild flower seeds and the pigeons eat them
    I recycle my beer cans and don't litter what do you think ?

1 person likes this.
  3. morrow

morrow Visitor

I think your doing your bit mally, well done!

I Chucked the bone off me Easter leg of lamb over the back fence, to help the mother fox with those babies, she has her hands full this year, watched her bringing them out the other night!

Better the foxes eat it rather than maggots, i hate maggots, what do you think?

4. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Maggots creep me out ! Does saving the earth mean saving all the gross stuff aswell
    Cos I don't like Slugs either [​IMG]

5. morrow

morrow Visitor

Slugs is funny things, they look after themselves, those with shells are bigger, and to keep their house, they eat the little ones, before they grow up and take over..Honest..So does that make us slugs? Mmmmm!

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

recycle we must

2 people like this.
  7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I don't know.
    I guess little people like us can't do much, except recycle and stop making so much trash
    and be a bit more mindful instead of wasteful

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Recycling is more or less compulsory now where I live. 2 bins, 3 boxes - the local council take it all away and claim they recycle it all.

But recycling isn't going to save the environment by itself.

Massive changes are needed, and needed soon. We need to come off addiction to fossil fuels and switch to renewables. Produce more stuff locally, import less. Shipping is one of the biggest causes of pollution. Stop destroying rain forests and other natural environments.Halt the destruction of marine environments. We need to change things radically. If we don't, future generations will inherit a toxic planet with climate change out of control and most of the wildlife gone (we're loosing 10% of remaining bio-diversity every 10 - 15 years at present - at that rate in 150 years time what will be left?)

Mostly, our governments are doing virtually nothing other than making noises. Here in the UK the government are probably going to dismantle lots of EU legislation on the environment, allowing them to continue and increase the pressure on the nature. We'll soon have all the joys of fracking too.

There are environmental groups which you can support or join - Friends of the Earth, Greenpeace, wildlife conservation charities. Also look at what the different political parties are saying they'll do - not much in most cases other than more of the same. If you're serious about environmental issues, you could consider supporting the Green Party.

On a personal level - buy less new stuff, try to avoid waste, travel less by air or car. Go for functionality over luxury. Even so, unless there is a massive globally co-ordinated response to the crisis we now face, we're sunk. Business as usual is a recipe for disaster.

9. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

The only way to save the earth is to change the entire economic system, but that is already rapidly becoming a reality with the next generation robots and computer Ai about to force the issue.

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Make it a priority in future elections

DT does not give a shit about the environment or the earth.

11. BlackBillBlake

We now have an election coming up in the UK, but I doubt the environment is going to be very high on the agenda. The main parties will probably hardly even mention it. If they do, it will only be in some attempt to whitewash themselves. None of them really have a clue. Nothing will get any better for the natural environment under any of them, and will probably continue to deteriorate.

DT is a problem for the whole world.

12. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Every Little bit counts - and Persistence, is Never futile
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfv37XGda0

13. BlackBillBlake

A nice sentiment. But where climate change is concerned, there can come a point at which anything we do becomes futile. Scientists talk about various 'tipping points' for the global climate, which once passed can't be reversed using our present knowledge and technology. Some say we've already passed certain critical points.

A good example is methane gas locked up in the Arctic tundra. I forget the precise figure, but there's hundreds of billions of tons of it. Even a small rise in temperature could cause all that to be released, and as methane is a greenhouse gas many times more potent than carbon dioxide, set in motion a wave of absolutely runaway temperature increase with all that implies.

So whilst I'm all for persistence and for hope, we really need to address these issues very soon or maybe it will become too late.

14. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

"Protest and (for to) Protect" = a key element in the Hippie Mantra - Long may that continue

15. BlackBillBlake

I hope it does continue. But it probably isn't going to make that much difference. For instance, a lot of the pollution now comes from the east - China, India etc. I'm not sure they have hippies in either place. In America now we have a climate change denier running the show. I'm not sure what the conservatives here will do assuming they win this election - probably scrap EU regulations on the environment and continue with business as usual. Not a pip from them on anything to do with climate change or the environment so far. Cameron promised 'the greenest government ever', but that was rapidly ditched once they had power. 'Toxic Teresa' has no interest in the environment as they presumably don't think being green will win them votes, which is their sole obsession.

Protest is good, but concerted global action by governments and corporations is the only way we can hope to halt and reverse the damage we're doing. Little prospect of anything like that.

16. BlackBillBlake

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. eddyvogel

eddyvogel Members

we should make it a kind of responsibility or duty to take care mother earth, educate people (start from home :p) about greenery, recycling of plastic, save water, save natural resources.
    first of all, do start on your own.

18. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Environmental legislation, worker's rights, corporate tax.

These are things that will be done away with in the name of "attracting trade".

Meanwhile the world will keep on getting warmer. Still, worth it for all this lovely sovereignty we have now.

When elderly rhino get past a certain age, they have to be put down, because otherwise they attack and kill younger, more virile rhinos.

This is fine when the population is thriving, but cannot be allowed to happen when the species is endangered (as is the case currently). Rhino's don't realise that they are endangered, they just feel a desire to pass on their genes and stop their rivals from doing the same.

You couldn't ask for a more fitting metaphor for global capitalism and climate change- a system that functions through individual entities motivated entirely by self-interest, completely incapable of recognising or responding to an existential threat.

One of the more disgusting passages of Naomi Klein's "This changes everything: Capitalism vs. The climate" details how companies that invest in "Agents of doubt" to promote climate change denial and fudge the facts are also in many cases simultaneously investing in companies that will profit from the predicted disasters. These included a proposed private fire service for areas prone to widfires that will spray the houses of the wealthy with flame retardant material (but not their neighbours), and a luxury disaster survival company. Natural disaster heading for your mansion? they'll send a private limo or helicopter to pick you up and pop you onto a luxury cruise until it has all blown over and (if necessary) your house has been rebuilt.

One wonders if, when the crops begin to fail and death tolls rise, these people will be quite as adept as they are now at foisting the blame onto the poor and the foreign, or if people might finally wake up to the fact that it wasn't immigrants or gays or benefit cheats or muslims or whoever the flavour of the month is that caused all this, it was the rich and greedy.

One wonders if they wonder that too.

1 person likes this.
  19. monteza

monteza Members

big brands..enterprises doesn't give a damn to nature, but always used the name of saving nature and people in the name of employment investments ..in core these big wealthy ones just making fool of people.

now there is a lot of organization doing work in the direction to saving the earth, climate change, all conferences on this are being done in the big ac halls and after that who's gonna follow them, large speeches were spoken in communities worldwide, but why only using their tongue...
    to save nature we need action not just lectures.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Dude, did the OP just assume earths gender? :toetap05: