Fossil Fuels Unstoppable

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Wu Li Heron, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/04/170418160036.htm

The number of shockingly grim statistics about humanity's future have just been multiplying exponentially and many have been predicting that without something like a Singularity human is just plain fucked. I have to agree, but the singularity is happening in my opinion because the alternatives are unthinkable and is metaphorical not metaphysical. No doubt humanity has catastrophes ahead of us, but I have to believe in the power of the truth to set us free and to elevate us all. A Theory of Everything is coming and not a moment too soon. You could compare the rise of civilization to puberty which, everyone agrees, always sucks. Another good name for the singularity is Jung's collective unconscious and one primitive tribe likes to say, "Mother nature's love is irresistible, but she has a wicked sense of humor."

1 person likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think people often forget about ancient things like the deluge and things and I'm not saying that we aren't responsible for the position our earth is in now, but at the end of the day we could live completely green and still be taken out by a natural disaster that we had nothing to do with, so this blame all humans it's our fault and we have what's coming is a little ... unrealistic to me.

3. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Often I tell people the minute I become perfectly humble I want the whole world to know, in fact, I insist!

Americans are famous for preaching Armageddon, but also for coming to the rescue of even unfriendly countries during a natural disaster. We've created a culture that is adapted to sometimes creating its own disasters and cleaning up the pieces.

1 person likes this.
  4. carla11

carla11 Members

Well, let's just pretend for a moment that the broad and deep consensus on climate science is completely wrong. That would be like denying that a particular strain of bacteria causes strep throat, but let's just set that aside for a moment.

Fossil fuels cause air pollution, their extraction causes water and air pollution and ruined landscapes and wildlife habitat, and confirmed diseases among those working in the extraction industries. We pay the costs to ameliorate those conditions either in the price of the fuel extracted, or through taxes. Of course, the corporations are all about privatizing profits and socializing losses.

Over the past 8 years, through a number of important initiatives, we have reduced our dependence on imported fossil fuels by half. One result is that we are paying a little over $2/gallon for regular gas, compared to nearly $4/gallon 8 years ago. And, the cars and trucks and SUVs use less fuel, with no sacrifice in performance. This also makes more expensive and environmentally damaging extraction methods like fracking less profitable, thereby less common.

Finally, the concerns of DoD are very well founded. They are leaders in technologies like photovoltaics and smart microgrids and fuel efficient ships, if for no other reason than the extreme danger our men and women in uniform face in transporting fuel to remote outposts and ships at sea.

So, ignore the climate science if you want. Dismiss it as myth if you so desire. And then look at the real economic, environmental, and national security benefits of reducing fossil fuel consumption for reasons that have nothing to do with anthropogenic climate change.

1 person likes this.
  5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have to wonder if people want to take any responsibilty at all for what they do...the climate change deniers....the people who do not give a shit about the environment.....more oil drilling...more, more, more...let's kill more wildlife and have more oil spills in our waters.....I have nothing in common with people who think like that with no thought at all for consequences and it angers me like nothing else.

1 person likes this.
  6. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Money and the guns do most of the talking worth listening too and are creating the demand for fossil fuel. A few years ago, the US actually became the largest exporter of oil in the world because without the money your guns are worthless and without the guns your money is worthless. With modern technology it is a surefire downward spiral into disaster and academics have been complaining for decades that Three Stooges slapstick and high tech just don't mix. The fact that fossil fuels account for a trillion dollars of the world economy is simply another sign that the world economy as we know it is doomed and billions of people will likely suffer and die in the transition to something more sustainable.

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

transitioning stages require considerable balance, but is anyone even trying to figure out ways to transition to something more eco friendly?

1 person likes this.
  8. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Thankfully, the money and the guns doing all the driving means they have no choice but to invest in the technology to make the transition. They have become their own worst enemy with roughly a third of all stock market trades now being done by computers. What we require next is a Theory of Everything and the Ai to go with it that can take over the economy and, eventually, the guns as well because people are just not competitive enough against their own inventions.

9. FritzDaKatx2

FritzDaKatx2 Vinegar Taster

10. FritzDaKatx2

Yes,,, the Armed forces as just one of many, many examples

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/perspectives/blogs/ag-policy-blog/blog-post/2017/04/23/retired-general-climate-change-part

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=96702

https://www.army.mil/article/177734/the_next_generation_combat_vehicle_could_have_lasers_run_on_hybrid_power

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. FritzDaKatx2

1 person likes this.
  13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

They think the whole thing is a political conspiracy by the Democrats and a scheme to make America economically weak because of unnecessary restrictions on business. Ultimately money needs to made and it should be made. A dirty environment (if it existed) is just another business opportunity for a scientist to make a product that cleans it up. They aknowlage science when it does not conflict with money or religion. But they fail to understand science is not magic. At some point there is damage that can not be fixed. But sadly I have heard several global warming denies say that science will freeze the ice caps again and lower the global temperature if needed. So it's pointless to worry about global warming even if it is occurring because we need fuel.

14. FritzDaKatx2

1A lol.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N53C0UBzuw

15. Crystal_Nocked

Crystal_Nocked Members

16. FritzDaKatx2

17. FritzDaKatx2