Culture Question(S) From America. Hi There! :)

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by fundoo, Apr 16, 2017.

1. fundoo

fundoo Members

Ok, me again. Alright so pressing issue/concern. Is there like a special code for making jokes? Or like some way of knowing if a joke is received?

Because I rib people a lot, you know, right? And then sometimes I will get silence. More often than not, it is from my British friends. Well, if it is silence over here in America, it means your joke is not funny or dumb. Am I really alienating my British friends out of ignorance? Or am I missing something??
    And I guess, particularly if the joke is a culturally thing. Ahh! Maybe I am the only one who finds humor here, idk. I can take it if folks rib me because I am an American, but is it really offensive if I like say, "oh you folks drive on the wrong side of the road. I mean, you drive on the left, we drive on the right. You just think about that!"
    It is clear it is a joke, NO? Man, I love learning about different cultures and meeting new people and I often take on mannerisms of things I like. I am not mocking anybody. It is a former of flattery to me, and me just trying to gain an understanding. Ahh, idk. Please help me!!!!

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I think cultural, unless it's your culture, you won't get the joke, if it's something that seems amusing to you, but normal to them, then again it's not funny.
    Best thing to do, is just laugh at your own jokes..
    When people are drunk it changes their inner mood, that's never good, what is normally a joke could appear offensive..

Like Brits have this thing where they like to tell blonde girl jokes, which when your blonde, isn't too funny, when the guy telling the blonde joke is a nerd.. then they change the blonde girl to an Essex girl.. well I get that, but it's rarely funny.

I'm a rambling?

3. fundoo

fundoo Members

Laugh at my own jokes. Ok, I can do that. ;)
    Umm, I am a bit on the verge of an utter self conscious breakdown here,...ughhh, but this is not forum talk. So...

Hehe you're a rambling?? Are you asking? Because I love IT! I don't mind. I need the help! Lol

So, ok, well, maybe it isn't always jokes jokes. What if, you (I) just talk like that culture and...well, heck, I did that on THIS forum the other day, with mate! I mean, do folks find it nice or fine if I do this, or is it like...well, like some sort of cultural appropriation of sorts?? It is a language thing...and for me, I liken it to learning lyrics to a song. You hear it over and over and you just pick it up. Would anyone be offended if i started singing a song? No! Idk Now I am definitely babbling. Or rambling?

But so well...ok, I suppose this fits in with what you said too though. (Normal and not amusing)

But so then what if I come across something "British" locally (or well, this could apply for any outside culture, really) and tell it to someone from that culture...yeah, I would get blank stares or glaring eyes then, eh? Like, if I told you I had custard for lunch today, that would be no big thing then, and you might give me silence then???

Ohhh I am such a bloody idiot!!!

Yeah, see? Like that. "Bloody" Ok, but for the record, I hear that word almost every day. It's a personal fact about me that I don't like to admit to strangers, bUT is it necessary to express everytime that I live with someone who was raised with British English? I mean, is that what is required, or am I still a bitch for not being "American"? Well, maybe I don't wanna be...ok, no no, not saying that! ;) I still like it here, even if I like other places Too. :D

Now, Morrow, THAT was a ramble! (Not that I am trying. Ahh! Poo!)

4. morrow

morrow Visitor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]?

[​IMG]

5. fundoo

fundoo Members

Ohhh!!! See, that is exactly what I do to people!! And I mean, it is funny at first, but that kinda makes me feel a little like an idiot. Omg, ok I did laugh as I wrote that. Ohhh, I have been too fragile about something for awhile. I forgot I can just be and have fun with people. Lol idk. I'll get by. :)

6. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

to tip the hat at someone is pretty old fashioned

today's british equivalent = you are the dogs bollocks :)

7. fundoo

fundoo Members

Maybe.

Ummm, maybe I just need a toaster!?? (You know, like the thread...well, if I have to explain it...ahhh haha de Ja vu right THERE!:D )

8. fundoo

fundoo Members

Haha really? Never heard that One!

Oh, and it's bollocks, not bullocks, RIGHT? Hahaha

9. The Imaginary Being

no, bollocks. and it's a highly common phrase in the u.k
    as funny as it may sound lol

10. morrow

morrow Visitor

Your such a hoot fundoo..[​IMG]
    bullocks are a heard of bullocks, but thats a whole lot of bollocks[​IMG]

fundoo :rockon:?

1 person likes this.
  11. fundoo

fundoo Members

No, lol I HAVE heard of bullocks, just not how you said it. Now I have already forgotten it. SEE? Lol

The dog's Bullocks

Oh CRAP! Lmao that autocorrect ed. OMG! *tears in my eyes lol

Dogs bollocks

12. morrow

morrow Visitor

13. The Imaginary Being

we'll get there
    you're a top banana

14. The Imaginary Being

i tip my hat to you

1 person likes this.
  15. fundoo

fundoo Members

[​IMG]

lol

Hey! Awe! So is "Cheers" a U.K. thing?? I am starting to see a pattern, and not just on HIP. :D