Scottish Government To Give Junkies Free Prep On The Nhs

Discussion in 'Politics' started by The Walking Dickhead, Apr 10, 2017.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

That's PrEP, not Prep as the title will default to, short for pre-exposure prophylaxis. A drug that helps to prevent people who are at high risk of contracting HIV from catching it.

This is where we are in the UK in the modern world.

The government will take our money and spend it on expensive pharmaceuticals to give to junkies for free, people who willingly stick needles in their arm and are so at risk of contracting HIV get a big bag of free NHS money.

Meanwhile, if you have a brain tumour, or suffer from epilepsy or MS or depression or asthma or fibromylalgia or... through no fault of your own, and you want to grow your own cannabis to medicate your pain or perhaps try to cure your illness, no you wont get that free on the NHS. Instead the government will send the police round to your house, arrest you, take away your plants and charge you to appear in court facing prison sentences of up to 17(?) years.

It's not yet gone through in England, but by the same token Scotland can't legalise cannabis because of the fucking tories in Westminster.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/10/people-risk-hiv-scotland-prep-drug-nhs-aids

Articlee doesn't say if heroin addicts will get it... ?

2. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Well, good.

Yes, it is difficult to get meaningful drug legislation passed while the current establishment is in office, but we can at least do our best to introduce legislation that might help curb the worst results of our wrong-headed governmental attitude to substance control.

One of the worst results of drug prohibition is the high rate of disease and spread of infection amongst addicts, this is an attempt to curb that.

Decriminalization of cannabis is probably only a few administrations away, but the DESPERATELY needed decriminalization of heroin and cocaine isn't even on the horizon. In the mean time, let's do our best to have as few people as possible die as a result of the idiotic and, frankly, MURDEROUS drug prohibition our government is intent on pursuing.

The "I don't want my tax money spent on junkies/asylum seekers/transgenders/benefit cheats" attitude that most newspapers attempt to foster is a fucking wet dream to the Westminster establishment. More excuses to cut public spending for everyone, gut the NHS and give tax breaks to their chums. Criminalize and demonize the addicts! Create a permanent underclass! Seize their benefits and get them all working for our corporate mates for no-fucking-pounds an hour. Eventually they'll be permanent additions in our private prisons, manufacturing goods at no cost, a workforce with no rights to life or freedom.

2 people like this.
  3. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

opiate addiction is probably the most misunderstood.

autophobe is right, it is the prohibition that has brought all the nasty negatives associated with opiate addiction.

walkingdickhead, go educate yourself about successful programs that treat it as a medical condition instead of a moral failing and maybe you might pull you head out you rectum a little.

1 person likes this.
  4. mizzymorrison

mizzymorrison Sage

Exactly. Prohibition it the center of the problem. As it was with alcohol. It's good to know that even some law enforcement here in the states understands this. There are police who are completely against all forms of prohibition. Thay want all drugs legalized because they finally understand that is a personal freedom. It's called L.E.A.P. Law enforcement against prohibition.

5. mizzymorrison

mizzymorrison Sage

6. The Walking Dickhead

Listen fuckhead(s). I'm not saying I don't have sympathy for people with drugs problems, or I don't understand the problem.

The "it's only a matter of time. Just wait" argument isn't going to cut it with me any longer! I've already had many aspects of my life fucked by prohibition, the same prohibition you claim that I need to educate myself on that's fucking the lives of opiate addicts. It's time the Scottish government pulled it's head out of it's rectum and started speaking out about the real cause of the problem, and the solution instead of dancing round it for fear of losing popularity.

Sure, let's spend loads of money on pharma-drugs for junkies and toilet traders that probably don't work anyway, meanwhile still turning a blind eye to the fact cannabis has also been cited as a potential drug in the treatment and prevention of HIV, not least because it helps opiate addicts recover from addiction. And then there's all the rest of the patients who could really use some medical grade right now, a natural, powerful and easy to cultivate plant that's been around for thousands of years. Hell, many of these patients are even willing to grow their own, but the point is THEY'RE NOT ALLOWED TO!

So get off your fucking high horse.

The point I'm making here is, those at risk of illness who can or could avoid contracting that illness if they just exercised a little more will power, or maybe had some better alternatives can go to the back of the queue while other people with illnesses they can't or couldn't have prevented should be getting priority on the NHS NOT presecuted by the state for growing a herb.

7. The Walking Dickhead

The SNP support prohibition, why is why they stood side by side with the tories when they pushed through the psychoactive substances bill, rather than looking at the problem logically and realising that more prohbition on top of the exisiting prohibition is only going to make matters worse. And now we have currently an epidemic in Manchester with people littered all over the place in dangerously catatonic states, having to be removed by the police and the ambulance services which further puts a strain on our public services.

All because rather than relaxing the law on cannabis, which is ultimately what people want as opposed to the dangerous synthetic alternatives, they have outright banned the supply of synthetics on the high street so whereas before people at least had some sort of assurance and advice from the suppliers on what they were taking now they are buying it off the streets from who knows what forms of pond life, or off the internet from a company in China.

I wrote to Owen Thompson about this and he replied saying that "what is needed is education". Then he voted for the bill. He is right that education is what is needed, but it's those short sighted morons in the Scottish government who needed bloody educated!

8. The Walking Dickhead

Plenty of articles out there on the effectiveness of cannabis is preventing the spread of HIV.

A cheaper, natural alternative to these pharmaceuticals that wouldn't be a drain on the NHS and could be sold recreationally as well to help fund the NHS.

And other medical patients could have the benefits from cannabis as well, as opposed to being persecuted by the state.

Oh, but that's too radical an approach... and the pharmaceutical giants wouldn't make so much profit.

http://www.hivplusmag.com/research/2014/02/11/breaking-news-study-says-marijuana-may-stop-spread-hiv

9. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

The US government also...we've got Attorney General Jeff Sessions who many fear will crack down on states that have loosened their marijuana laws.

1 person likes this.
  10. The Walking Dickhead

What an old bastard. These people need to be relieved of whatever brain cells they have left.

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

ok, that is much more clear and agree with you on these points.
    your first post did kinda sound like you were blaming the addict and not the root causes.

12. MeganMunoz

MeganMunoz Members

Old bastard.

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

You are spending more when those addicts end up in a ER with an OD or HIV then if you took steps to prevent it in the first place. That is the case in America at least. Everyone says fuck the junkie who makes their own choice they will not have my tax dollars but ignoring them costs you unless you want to go as far as denying them admittance to the hospital which some people would love.

You are so lucky to even have something like this considered. You might not see the benefits now but they are there. Let's assume this medication helps someone get off opiates. That means they can then get a job and pay tax. Instead of using the system they now contribute to that system. They might have been robbing houses to fund their addiction before. Addiction does not have to be a death sentence. Opiates are not a matter of will power and only those with no experience with them think it is. Yes at first someone did make a bad choice of their own free will but eventually their body makes the choice for them. If you don't make that choice good for you but some people need help and a civilized society gives it to them.

I know it's frustrating because cannabis is so benign comparatively but legislation is coming. Isn't it true that if someone is caught with cannabis and not dealing it's possible the cop will just throw it out and give a "caution" which is not a criminal offense? That alone is a good sign that change is coming. You don't get a caution for robbery for example. That means one crime is thought to be a bigger deal. Your goverment can not ignore the truth forever.

14. The Walking Dickhead

I'm not saying fuck the junkie, I'm saying fuck the government for helping junkies before they're willing to help cancer patients or all the other patients who need medical cannabis.

Legislation is coming?

When. I've been waiting 20 odd years now, and with the prospect of another 5 years of tory bastards in power it's not looking very likely to happen any time soon here.

As it stands now they have the authority to give you 5 years in prison for possession of small amounts or the worst kind of hash from a council estate in Glasgow. All very well and worth the risk if youi don't happen to have previous convictions.

Our government doesn't care about the truth, they only care about their retirement funds.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Farken boot up maaaaaate

16. The Walking Dickhead

Sorry I don't speak Australian.

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ya gotta boot up maaaate. :D

I dunno. I heard a friend say that once that someone "booted up" thought it was a interesting way of saying injecting with a needle.

"Boot'n up in the car" I think was the term. :D this was about someone we knew that tried to OD in front of a police station. He was woken up by the police in the car they asked what's up, he told them he tried to OD they said "well you didn't succeed, fuck off".

18. The Walking Dickhead

No sticking any of that shite in my veins. I've dabbled with vaping it a few times, it was a perfect day. That's enough for me.

1 person likes this.
  19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm the same I haven't even done anything through the nose just my weed and few pills here and there.

1 person likes this.
  20. The Walking Dickhead

I've done charlie a few times. Not my bag I just turn in to a loud obnoxious wanker, I'm bad enough on the whisky.