Taking The You Outta Youtube

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Fueled by Coffee, Apr 4, 2017.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

OK so apparently YouTube has demonetized all of its channels that are of a "controversial nature" which basically means any Youtuber with an unpopular opinion. No longer will many of my favorite channels and independent content creators receive ad revenue from YouTube. Instead they will have to rely on donations provided to them by loyal fans and subscribers. Amazing Atheist, Pewdiepie, Louder with Crowder, Sargon, Mark Dice, and many others are part of this list. Pewdiepie isn't even a controversial figure as he just entertains kids by playing video games. Amazing Atheist had to rebrand his whole channel because the word Atheist and atheism related topics is too controversial for YouTube nowadays.

The reason they are doing this is apparently due to some advertisers did not like seeing their ads play before a controversial if not borderline hateful video.

Take note how they are not demonetizing the channels of Fox News, WSJ, CNN, NBC, MTV, The Young Turks and other mainstream channels. We might as well call it CorporateTube. YouTube is damaging the very people who made it great. Without this ad revenue, controversial youtubers cannot work full time to keep creating great content. They are getting rid of the independent content and replacing it with corporate content.

I'm pretty mad about this. YouTube is destroying everything that made it great. It's not about YOU anymore.

2 people like this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

My life is 100% uneffected by whatever you just posted. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yep

fuck youtube and yay for adblockers

1 person likes this.
  4. morrow

morrow Visitor

YouTube changed for the worse years ago..They get itchy feet, and do something, but hey, people will use it, like they always have..Rules is rules! Life is life!

5. Scratched

Scratched Members

What happened with Youtube, anyway? I have noticed that certain channels that someone apparently thought to be "controversial" are feeling threatened...it's not damaging type of content, just educational. are they playing God now? Why does everything that many people care about have to viciously be regulated by money/higher power groups? I thought we were a free country. How can they be losing money because of their content?
    Not dissing anyone here, rather our self-governing world/ king bees of business, that decide what is best for us.
    why does our corporate world try so hard to fuck up a good thing?

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Youtube became corporatized the minute they begin running ads. Thats the nature of the beast, advertisers have the right to pull ads if they dont like the content. It happens with mainstream media all the time, it is happening to Bill O'Reilly right now as an example

I would think youtubers would be able to be more independent, not less, when relying on donations rather than ads. Some of the people you mentioned have over a million subscribers, right? If every subscriber donated a dollar a year they're still making more money than i'll ever see.

1 person likes this.
  7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I've felt Youtube has been in decline for a couple years now, I'm unsure how much of it has to do with what you are discussing. Sometimes it feels like it just runs slower now, however I still tend to post most my music vids from there. Might have to find a new site soon...

https://vimeo.com/4067145

8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

It hasn't been since Google bought Youtube.

2 people like this.
  9. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Yeah, this.

Google is out to turn a profit, like all businesses. I think the idea that YouTube has somehow betrayed us is a little naive. Also, it doesn't sound like YouTube is censoring anyone. YOU can post whatever YOU want on YOUTube. Only difference is, YOU have to pay for it now.

Sounds more like YOUTube is about YOU now than at any other point in their Google history.

YouTube is an outlet; not a crusader.

10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

11. VerySexual

VerySexual Members

It's censorship pure and simple. They are trying to silence those who were instrumental in getting Trump elected.

12. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

There really are no media sources that I know of that aren't manipulating their content to suit some agenda

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Censorship is when one faces repercussions from the government for voicing their opinions.

Nowhere in the Constitution does it say that freedom of speech involves being paid by a corporation or through ad revenue to voice an opinion

I see this train of thought a lot and I dont know why this is so confusing for people.

Youtube has not pulled anyone's videos. They can still continue making videos and say what they want to say, , how is that censorship?

1 person likes this.
  14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Jewtube. =p

1 person likes this.
  15. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

While it isn't exactly censorship in its purest form. YouTube has put a lot of age restricted filters on many videos that reduce the number of views, and prevent these videos from going viral. It is suppression of speech at the very least.

I've retaliated by selling all my google stock.

1 person likes this.
  16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Granted I deferred to wikipedia, rather than Merriam but it would appear to qualify as a form of censorship, probably corporate Censorship most appropriately.

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

In a strange sense of irony, I came across this video on youtube this morning, with this guy explaining some of the difficulties he is facing with some of Youtube's restrictions.

https://youtu.be/3RAABFN4814

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

Note: Alleged is in the channel as they haven't been charged yet, as far as I know. However, the writing is on the wall for everyone in the world to see. The fact that they don't see their abuse is despicable. These two disgusting "parents" have made a living off of emotionally and physically abusing their young children for youtube $$$$ and fame. They label their obvious abuse as "pranks" and are known for shoving cameras in their childrens' faces while as they have obvious emotional breakdowns and anxiety. "IT'S JUST A PRANK BRO", the dad is quoted saying repeatedly to their young son as he is heaving and crying. This is just the tip of the iceberg and not even the worst to be witnessed. As a child of abuse, seeing the obvious mental and physical distress on one of their poor children was devastating and heartbreaking. The feelings their videos gave me brought me back to a dark place in my life. WARNING: The following video contains sensitive and upsetting material. YouTuber Phillip DeFranco just put out a video about this family which can be viewed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvoLmsXKkYM It has been demonetized as well so he is receiving no ad revenue. Additional commentary on the matter has been released by YouTuber boogie2988: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tS3jxKvqBs More commentary "Abusing Kids for Ad Revenue": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_9O8eXDuO0 What makes this whole situation even worse is that they're now blaming the "haters" because they were called out. They can be seen manipulating their children into saying they're "okay" for the camera (which is a common tactic by abusers). I was also taught to put on a fake smile and appear like everything was okay. “People were saying a lot of mean things about us because we’re such terrible parents because we pranked ya,” the mom says. People like this make me sick. This kind of behavior is NEVER okay. It’s one thing when a prank is funny. It’s another thing when it isn’t and, in the process of not being funny, it makes kids uncomfortable if even for a couple minutes. edit: As incredibly infuriating and awful as this all is, more violence is NOT the answer. Please do not encourage harm towards anyone. CPS was contacted in the past and will undoubtedly be involved again now. Hopefully youtube will step in more firmly as well. This whole situation is really sad and unfortunate but I ask for all to spread awareness and love those around you. Update: They have been reported to the CPS and local authorities by many individuals since this content has been circulated around youtube, twitter and other forms of media. Overwhelming CPS might make it hard for them to respond to other cases, unfortunately. While I do not wish they get ad revenue, reporting their videos might be a way to get the message across to youtube

1 person likes this.
  19. KarmaRose

KarmaRose Members

This really is disappointing. You can't expect everything to be kid friendly all the time, you also can't expect everyone to be worried about offending your kid.
    They already have a YouTube app for kids they can use that.

20. 3407LOVE

3407LOVE Member

well ppl who donate can be data-mined and profiled in NSA banks in this process, so its about restricting freedumb
    when it was all free [ad free] this wasn't possible,

Its about the hoodoo world order and judeounchristianity controlling the globe.
    unpopular opinions all revolve around Mel Gibson's comment that's blasphemy in the eyes of CIAs google corp.

Most of the things i liked to watch are now removed ... those that aren't are loaded with ads that impede enjoyment.