Loudspeakers.

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Bilby, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

When I was a teenager in the 1970s, owning your own hi-fi system and at least 50 LP's was seen as a rite of passage. Playing loud music was considered cool. These days I have come to realize that we all have different taste in music and such behavior is anti-social. I am not sure if loudspeakers are really necessary anymore. In terms of sound quality you get more bang for you buck with headphones.

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I listen to a lot of music on YouTube. It's like the infinite jukebox. A great resource for both listening to new music and music from the past that one may have missed. I do this on headphones, and the immersive quality of this is a great pleasure to me.

However I still like physical music. I collect compact discs, vinyl, and have a large volume of cassettes. I've had an idea for sometime now to start an internet campaign to keep music physical. There is still something special to me about getting an actual physical product,with artwork, lyrics and other information about the artists one likes.

Also, for many emerging artists selling physical product is an essential way of generating income in an otherwise digital market.

I don't blare out music as loud as I did in my teens and early twenties. I simply do not like excessively loud music anymore. But there is something special for me in putting a record on my turntable, and visiting second-hand to pick up vinyl.

2 people like this.
  3. morrow

morrow Visitor

I like watching YouTube video connected to my TV and subwoofer! Yes it's loud at times! But i have a lovely neighbour that also likes to play her music loud, so we have a good arrangement on that..(you ever heard Turkish music?)
    I play my cd through my sub too..
    I still go to concerts, music shows! It's loud! It's how it should be..

But! Late at night, we both turn it down..Unless there is a party!

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I still occasionally have a hot half-hour...

1 person likes this.
  5. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

These days for a hundred bucks you can buy speakers and a sub-woofer for your computer that will put out a reasonable volume and, for twice that, ones that will ruin your hearing or ones that can provide surround sound if you prefer and, like others have said, listen to all the music you want for free online. What costs more are things like the newer realistic 3D sound systems which make the older surround sound speakers sound like a bad imitation.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i have a full 1980's technics system

78 is the lowest volume setting...i would guess 2 or 0 is the loudest

i almost always have it at 72 or higher...just for background music tuned to local oldies station

only thing i ever play on the turntable is the kinks sleepwalker lp and/or my hugo montenegro album

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The thing I really hate is when people turn the bass up so loud it drowns out the rest of the music, and all anyone else can hear is thump thump thump. Music is so much more than bass

4 people like this.
  8. morrow

morrow Visitor

Mine is a 90s technics...Superb in its day! And still works good today!

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

mine could be 90's too..i was just guessing

there is a problem with my amp...i suspect a bad capacitor somewhere because if i turn it off and turn it on there will be no sound unless i tap the sub with my finger...thats why i tend to leave it on all the time

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Loud Speakers
    [​IMG]

11. morrow

morrow Visitor

Now that proves there is a problem! I have found the same thing! I've disconnected one of the speakers. Which I thought i blew! Helps!
    But it still sounds good!

Mine is a st-hd501 and still looks nice!

12. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

that looks like a small one

mines one of those floor ones with cabinet and stacked components

i looked up the amp and it appears to be 1989ish (SU-V98)

the rest matches so i assume its all the same age...there is a double cassette..an amp a tuner with remote...a cd player and a turntable

the speakers are sb a30

[​IMG]?

13. morrow

morrow Visitor

Oh bloody wow!

Yes mine is the small stack system! Don't let it's size fool you! Lol

But those speakers! Wow!

I've added a sub woofer just for added effect! Lol

Only one tape deck..But she is cool! Technica were far ahead of their time back in the 80s and 90s..Cost a fortune, but if you dared buy, you were not disappointed..

Nice one space!

Mine!

https://youtu.be/PJPZ-SuRH3s

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I used to have a nice set of speakers, can't remember what brand, the woofers were 12" I believe.

Also had these guys in the 70's, they were pretty nice. The knob was for a mic. It appears they're still selling them....$100.00. And I just found out they have a lifetime warranty, so I shoulda kept mine, wonder what happened to them?

[​IMG]
    The first dynamic headphones to deliver true full frequency and high fidelity performance with impressive noise isolating capabilities.
    I was just talking to my brother the other day about helping someone move and we were laughing about how the first thing that got moved and set up in the old days was the stereo system.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bilby

A few years ago I was at a Confest ( a hippy festival) and there was a silent disco where everyone wore cordless headphones.

16. MeAgain

Strange.

17. Bilby

The music in the headphones was loud but from the outside you could not hear any music.

18. MeAgain

Stranger still. It musta looked like a bunch of zombies twitching around.

19. morrow

morrow Visitor

They have silent discos at Butlins...It was such fun..

There were 2 DJs, you could flick a switch on your head phones to tune to either of them..

It was very funny to watch..And hear..All the kids out of tune singing..And the clip cloping on the wooden floor! Very funny!

1 person likes this.
  20. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

In my attic I still have 4 1970's wharfedale speakers. 2 of the woofers need replacing, but I doubt I'll ever get them done. These days I rarely listen to rock music or dance music, I'm more into ambient electronica and classical, neither of which really need to be blastingly loud. I find my computer speakers are quite adequate to my requirements.

I have mild tinitus too, and I tend to try to avoid anything too loud these days. Pretty sure I got it from going to raves years ago where the volume was stupendous. Also did some DJing myself, and I think that contributed.

1 person likes this.