John Oliver Last Week Tonight Weed

Discussion in 'Cannabis and Marijuana' started by unfocusedanakin, Apr 3, 2017.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

The times are changing. [​IMG]

I am so happy to see other places following the lead of Colorado and Washington and accepting that it's just a plant. If you want to use it then that is your business.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcR_Wg42dv8

1 person likes this.
  2. deleted

deleted Visitor

I was gonna post this when I got home, but got tied up doing other things..

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I watched that whole thing. I especially liked the pigeon. That was funny.

4. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

As far as I'm concerned, the weed legalisation thing is just something we need to get out of the way so we can get to heroin and coke. I'm glad that weed will soon be legal, but heroin and coke prohibition kills thousands. Once weed is done with, we can start having that conversation.

In some ways those advocating for weed legalisation have shot those that want prohibition to end in the foot. they've taken the conversation and made it entirely defensive. "you should legalise because weed is safe" "It doesn't hurt anyone" "it should be my right to decide what I put in my body" all valid arguments, but I cant help thinking that if we'd kept the conversation on the offensive, seized the initiative, we could be making arguments like: "You need to end prohibition because it fucking KILLS PEOPLE." and force the state to defend themselves for their policies, rather than having users justify themselves.

The defensive approach may have worked for weed, but for other "harder" drugs, it might be a hindrance. I hope that this is not the case, and that this is just the start of widespread substance control reform, but we'll have to see.