Uk Weed: Still Crap?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by autophobe2e, Mar 31, 2017.

1. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

I quit smoking for good about 6 years ago, but before that I'd been a big stoner for about 4/5 years, this is what I remember about weed in the UK:

There was only really one kind. Skunk was the only marketable strain in the UK since it could be grown indoors (and we don't have the climate for growing other stuff) and had the shortest time between planting and harvesting. Very occasionally you'd find something like Thai stick or Cheese, but everything else was just another strain of skunk that your dealer came up with a daft name for: "Yeah I got the armaggedon zombie cro hit me up" etc. etc.

The whole UK pot scene just seemed to be an arms race towards heavier and heavier forms of skunk or other heavy indica strains, sativa was non-existent, most dealers had never even heard of it.

There was hash, which seemed to come in two varieties, Brown, flaky stuff (often called "leb", although some people said it came from Morocco) and Sticky black, which was considered to be the best smoke available.

Full disclosure: I'm not speaking for the whole of the UK here, but the above was certainly true of London, Manchester and, as far as I'm aware, Bristol. I've heard very similar things of other cities.

I was chatting to someone I met the other day who smokes a lot, I told him how it used to be and he assured me that things had improved. He showed me an O of the exact same skunk that I remembered from 6 years ago, just with a new daft name attached, as proof.

Are things still rubbish?

2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

I just get what I can get. Lemon or blue cheese. Or Indo, which is a mellow indica. Sometimes I get a Moroccan hash, which is really nice. The people who get my cannabis know I won't buy skunk, so that's never an issue. I'm in London by the way.

1 person likes this.
  3. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Sounds like an improvement. 5 years ago a whole bunch of the south London dealers operated as part of a single network and all basically sold the same gear. It collapsed around then, I was hoping there'd be more of a variety since the monopoly got broken up.

4. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

'And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.'

Genesis 1:12

4 people like this.
  5. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

"And God said, Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed which is upon the face of all the earth......." - Genesis 1:29.

A case of the Lord giveth and the politician taketh away.

1 person likes this.
  6. PsyGrunge

PsyGrunge Full Fractal Force

God, you really have been absent from the scene. Welcome back.
    The industry has boomed since you've been gone, with growers operating all over the place, and hydro shops selling the gear to enable much wider cultivation.
    This no longer limits production to any single gang or organisation.
    The rate of import bud seems to of boosted over the years too, with vacuum sealed Amnesia / Lemon / Super Silver Hazes becoming more common in the Liverpool/Wirral area (though pricier).

Cheese is by far the most common strain in the UK, the market is absolutely flooded with it. Unfortunately, most of it is commercially grown, over fertilised and unflushed/uncured/uncared for; and this comes through in the smoke no matter how stinky it is. I guess this is the cost of prohibition and 'grower's greed'..

Note.. if you do end up with cheese from an unknown source, and look close on the grind, you'll probably find tiny seedlings.
    That's because a lot of cheese in the UK are hermaphrodite plants, as a result of a male or two being in the mix.
    These go undetected by idiot/apathetic growers and encourage the fems to seed, ruining the bud.. but they don't give a fuck.

I hate what legislation has done to ruin cannabis' name. I hate those who corrupt the plant for a profit margin even more.

7. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I hear lots of people saying the best weed in the world right now is in London. You can get anything you want there, cannabis cup winning stuff.

But here's the thing, it's all down to who you know.

For the rest of us mere mortals who aren't part of the UK cannabis clique, we all still have to rely on over-priced, poorly grown, poor quality hash probably mixed with something.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ohhh this "my country has the best weed" is all bullshit. :sifone:

9. PsyGrunge

That's a mindset, and a potentially isolating one. I hear you, but it's never too late to start making friends.
    I hear there's many branded strains going around London (the Gorilla Glue series is getting some particular recognition over here now, bypassing the Girl Scout Cookies in popularity), but you'll also be paying RIDICULOUS amounts of money for it and none of it is going to get you where a solid landrace sativa gets you. In terms of the best weed in the world, it's always going to be landrace strains. None of this hydro shite with nutrients with little tricks to boost the size of the calyxes and rev up the taste. Little profit plants you need to keep smoking by the hour. A solid landrace sativa will set you straight for hours and a happy stoner content with his stoned state without the urge to smoke more is an unprofitable stoner. Even the cookies keep you chinning it like cheese. All those kushy strains, the berries, the indicas.. you just barge through them as your tolerance rapidly develops whereas your landrace sativas take you right back up there and beyond with each smoke and keep you there for hours mate. Sorry I'm on me soapbox here.

10. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

What I want to know is 1/8th 3.5 grams? I have heard it's just the norm for it to be 3 and what can you do every dealer does it? Also it's 100 pounds a gram in London for butane hash. Everything is expensive there I guess but that is still far too much. A gram of BHO should be as much as 1/8th of weed.

11. PsyGrunge

If people are banging 3gs out they shouldn't be charging any more than 30 for them. If they're charging 35 and calling them eighths when they're 3g's, they're dickheads.
    100 a gram for BHO.. heard it all now. 60's the most i've heard for a gram of pure amber shatter, import, And that is creme de la creme, pucker pifferooni.. Prefer a bud over concentrates anyway for the abundance of cannabinoids with each strain which account for a much more varied experience than the 'fuck me i'm fucked' feeling of concentrates.