In The Mixed Household- Being Veg*n In An Omnivore House

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by drumminmama, Mar 28, 2017.

1. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

While the topic is zero waste, the strategies are so similar to how I navigated being the only vegetarian in a household of omnivores (my origin family, my marriage and parenting years, many house sharing situations).

It's a great way to remember that we tend to get into the veggie world because we respect something: our bodies, the planet, a spiritual path, the animals, a simpler way, etc.
    I sometimes struggle with respect for fellow humans. I'm working on it, and in that spirit offer you this:

http://www.paris-to-go.com/2016/04/zero-waste-life-with-non-zero-waste-family-members.html

How do you navigate differences in outlooks?
    Has it changed over time?

2 people like this.
  2. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

with 3 veggie grand children and a near zero waste daughter I can use all the help I can get .....thank you there is some great tips and advice in the blog...

1 person likes this.
  3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Nice article, drummin :). I think "lead by example" is probably the most useful advice for new plant based people. It's easy to get preachy and rude when you care passionately about something, but I've never found it an effective method of educating or inspiring people.

The only one I wouldn't abide by would be the author's habit of purchasing things her husband asks for (under "be tolerant"). I wouldn't/don't spend my own money on meat products or other items I find questionable: I'm just not comfortable with that as your dollars are your voice in this society.

2 people like this.
  4. drumminmama

Anytime, Rollin. Welcome to never being correct. ;)

1 person likes this.
  5. drumminmama

Well, it might be the husband's part of the income.