Help Bust The Myth That Barefooting Causes Rough Feet

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by TheGreatShoeScam, Mar 19, 2017.

1. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Its march and many of you in the northern hemisphere are starting to barefoot outside again as the cold and ice goes away.

Help bust the myth that barefooting causes rough feet by taking some before pictures then after a few weeks or months barefooting outside on all terrains like we do take some after pictures.

Not only did my feet not get "rough" , my toes spread back out after years of shoes, the forefoot padding its like stronger looking, the arch seems higher. Its just the same effect I guess as when people exercise and there whole body gets a better shape except that when feet are stuck in shoes not so much as when barefoot cause you can use them right. It would be like doing bicep curls wearing a cast for broken arms, good luck.

2. barefootconservative

barefootconservative Barefoot for God

I first have to find the ideal place for barefoot walking and barefoot exercise. Probably a park.

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

I'm answering from the perspective of a licensed massage therapist who works on others' feet, and works with my own as a tool. (See ashiatsu, Thai massage)
    Socks and shoes (which differs from shoes without socks) lead to soft feet. Like a molting hermit crab.
    Bare footing toughens up the soles some.
    Overall, that's a good thing. Bare feet get more air and light and seem to have less odor issues when clean.
    On me, it's a bit like having to sense through an extra layer as I step onto a client. It's a factor, but not a stopping factor.
    It does keep me from barefooting on paved surfaces, and I take time and care to prevent snagging bits of skin. Usually, a sand scrub at the beach or riverside does the trick.

Now, sandals , especially "fashion flip flops," make a rough ridge along heels pretty consistently.
    I work in Chacos or Birkenstocks (with ankle straps) as my contractee specifies shoes outside of the massage room, and frankly, I work with a sloppy acupuncturist, so needles get in the carpet. I leave shoes on. That's technically biohazard waste. I've stepped on my lifetime share.
    I get a slight ridge on the heel, seemingly related to some pronation.
    Previous locations, I was an employee and close toed shoes were required.
    I like the option.

In my home studio, I'm barefoot or simply in socks.

ETA: much of the roughness might only be because that's when the mass of people see feet. (I'm amazed at how people react to feet like pollution. But I'm also bemused by foot fetishizers. They are feet. Great tools.)
    And barefooting is usually seasonal, meaning shod people do it for a short while. So, what's the root of the "roughness?"
    Fungal issues from shoes? (Some heel cracking)
    No adjustment period for those arches to get the muscles toned and fascia stretched?
    Walking on asphalt? (Think rough grit sandpaper on soft wood. More abrasion takes off roughness)

1 person likes this.
  4. Barefoot Guy

Barefoot Guy Member

Every person's skin reacts differently to exposure to similar environments. When barefooting on concrete, asphalt, store floors, etc. some people develop callouses, and/or cracks others soles toughen up like leather and yet others remain soft yet none of these people are bothered by hot pavement, small shards of glass, gravel, etc. I've dated women with those types of soles. The takeaway is that not everyone reacts the same.
    The warning is that when the weather becomes attractive to barefooting do so slowly. Many people go barefoot all day, get blisters or sores and swear off barefooting. That is unfortunate and a mistake. Give your body a chance to adapt. Every person is different in the amount of time that is needed.

1 person likes this.
  5. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

Thank you so much for adding so much to the topic but I want to say that full time barefooters or at least me have a Zero odor issue, put my toes right to my noise and checked, just like my bare hand , nothing.

Oh well I will never beat the Great Shoe Scam of the world making topics that get 100 views in a world with billions who have an Aversion to feet cause shoes make them smell, even I have it, wearing shoes all day and just took them off ? Keep them away from me.

I always call this the myth buster forum so I had to reply that bare feet have no more odor then bare hands if you keep them out of shoes for a for a few days and of course wash or walk in the water at the beach to get rid of it faster.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Not to negate your experience with your own feet, but I do deal with several pairs of feet daily, and have informed experience.
    When I see a barefooter with smell issues, and that's a tiny percentage, there's often a systemic yeast or other fungal infection, diabetes, or other major health issue in play.
    Or they aren't so concerned with hygiene. (And that's a pity, since they are seen as "what barefooters are")

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie