My Own Religion/going Insane

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 autophobe2e

autophobe2e

• PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 06:33 AM

If you want to make a religion you need a set of myths, or some other form of narrative component. Otherwise people won't be engaged and it won't spread.

As it is, this religion doesn't fulfill a lot of the requirements.

• It has no moral edicts
  • It does nothing to explain our current situation (or include a creation myth)
  • The afterlife you describe is...pointless. an afterlife is supposed to act as an enforcer of morality and obedience to a moral code.
  • it fails to outline what being a "good" or "bad" person is.

Also, if you're going to create a religion always go with a pantheon. Monotheistic religions are boring.

As a potential real-world religion with some legs, I think it needs work. As a piece of fantasy world-building it is fine. You could set a fairly nihilistic story against this kind of religious backdrop, but having it fulfill some of the above would make it more believable.

Real world religions have a kind of covergent evolution: even though they develop in isolation from each other, they usually share a lot of similar traits. If you want to create a new religion, it's best that you try and make sure to hit these beats.

Edited by autophobe2e, March 17 2017 - 06:34 AM.

Ua2h5.jpg

#12 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 12,154 posts

Posted March 17 2017 - 08:41 AM

I stopped reading shortly after mention of the shadow world too

But it sort of reminds me of the upside down world from stranger things. Makes for a good tv or book plotline, but i dont really think people are going to believe it and follow you around and give you a ton of money, which is the whole purpose of starting a religion right

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#13 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,946 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 17 2017 - 09:36 AM

Do you have any insight into the mechanism that accumulates your goodness in this world to transform you into a blue or red in the shadow world?

Do these shadows just spontaneously animate after someone dies? There's no sort of life cycle there?

Any insight on what places limitations on the Almighty Shadow?

3i6eiPI.png?

#14 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,932 posts
  • Locationa small green planet in a distant galaxy

Posted March 17 2017 - 09:57 AM

i have no problem with any possibility any of us can imagine. 

and i dissagree with those who feel they have to define the requirements of a belief.

it is purfectly possible we may have unseen companions who intend us no harm.

the idea of an 'eternal' afterlife, an eternal anything, is somewhat unconvincing, though it is a feature of many beliefs.

a cyclic eternity of many births, lifes, and deaths is easier for myself to find convincing.

science explains the existence of our universe as well as it needs to be.

i do quistion the presumption of starting off with a discription of an afterlife.

this would be fine to create a role playing game world though.

the universal wonder of strangeness, is not a lack of sanity.  it is something we can all experience.

part of the motivation for beliefs is to share it, though many today, in their fanatacism, obscure it from us instead.

at any rate an after life that is neither reward nor punishment, nor requires any sort of god or god-like hierarchy, is by no means inconceivable,

nor in any way less likely then more familiar beliefs or lore.

there exist a far greater of beliefs then are familiar to most people in western/northern/first world/advantaged nations.

they are worth exploring to gain greater understanding. 

gratuitous conventionality is gratuitous, and if anything, it is the repression of imagination that leads to mental instability.

my own beliefs are based partially on my exposure to a diversity of them, and in many ways also upon what i experience in my actual dreams,

and like yours, well seasoned with a large dose of my own imagination.

but also tempered by the realization, that nothing expected can be counted upon, other then that, the unexpected can always be found somewhere,

in whatever world or time or place, even if sometimes we have to look hard to find it.

the unknown itself, is no one's enemy.  hatred of logic and lack of caution is everyone's.

my nation is the imagination

this is the dawning of the age of zootopia

and thank god i'm not quite human

=^^=
.../\...

#15 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted March 18 2017 - 07:41 AM

Instant Karma Gonna Getcha Baby!

The shadow is but the memory of the eternal light which never fails to illuminate the darkest night,

The beacon lighthouse in a storm and the light at the end of the tunnel which never goes out.

It is the greater context of the One Truth, our reality that none might ever put into words,

What Socrates called, the memory of God that none may look upon and remember.

There are many lesser truths and, then, there remains the One Greater Truth,

That the Greater Truth, determines the meaning of everything and nothing!

Without a Goldilocks Principle applying to everything that exists and doesn't,

Murphy's Law would decide everything making discussing the issue pointless.

Combining the two infinite karmic universes converge where instant karma gonna getcha baby!

#16 Ajay0

Ajay0

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted March 18 2017 - 08:07 AM

I would say that if all this stuff increases your patience with people, even those hostile to you, along with your present moment awareness, then it may be a good religious toolkit for yourself. If not, then you should perhaps drop it , imho. 

When the robot mind is mastered, undisciplined thinking ceases and is replaced by awareness. Awareness can know love. You can only experience the new when you are aware, when you are without thought. -- Barry Long

Evil is an extreme manifestation of human unconsciousness. -- Eckhart Tolle

#17 themnax

themnax

• PipPipPip
  • 19,932 posts
  • Locationa small green planet in a distant galaxy

Posted March 18 2017 - 09:51 PM

people think conventionality is a good thing,

because they confuse it with consideration,

which it isn't.

my nation is the imagination

this is the dawning of the age of zootopia