59 replies to this topic

#21 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman

pussycat in a pussyhat

• PipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts
  • LocationInvading your Safe Space

Posted March 14 2017 - 09:29 PM

Shaming is never the answer, and our so-called obesity epidemic has largely been debunked. We changed the way obesity was defined and also got older--and as most people know, you tend to gain a little weight when you get older. Plus, a demographic shift has led to more black and Latino populations, who are, naturally, when compared to white people, larger. 

People who are overweight know they are overweight, and calling them fat or taking away scales won't change that. But encouraging fat shaming in the name of health is like encouraging racism in the name of homogeny. 

Yeah you're right. There is no obesity epidemic. Fat people are a minority. An oppressed minority. One that needs safe spaces from straight white males. And "sizeist" patriarchal scum of the Earth!

wgXgRcIl.jpg

We can all learn from Trigglypuff

Edited by 6-eyed shaman, March 14 2017 - 09:35 PM.

Pardon Julian Assange

#22 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman

pussycat in a pussyhat

• PipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted March 14 2017 - 09:34 PM

i assume this school also removed its mirrors?

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they removed the mirrors and replaced them with signs that read "Don't worry, you look great!"

Pardon Julian Assange

#23 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman

pussycat in a pussyhat

• PipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted March 14 2017 - 09:46 PM

This article is the most misleading pile of shit that I have read in a very long time.

Actually, that's not true. this sort of thing is becoming more and more representative of online journo hacks.

http://stateofobesit.../adult-obesity/

What's bullshit about it? Are you saying there is no obesity problem in the United States? One of the few countries on earth where the even the poor are capable of being morbidly overweight. Next I'll be hearing that GMO crops are good for us, even though you have to wear a hazmat suit to farm that stuff.

I have been shamed for being somewhat slim. I need a safe space. Can I have my own gym where I won't be slim shamed?

Slim beautiful people like you have been bullied by body positivity activists for the last few years. So it doesn't surprise me you feel like a victim. 

Pardon Julian Assange

#24 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman

pussycat in a pussyhat

• PipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts

Posted March 14 2017 - 09:50 PM

If being overweight is not due to health issues, then I agree we have too many overweight people, in the U.S. in particular.

It's a drain on our health system and should be addressed as such, not by shaming but by education, the same thing we did with tobacco.

Those anti smoking PSAs contained elements of both: shaming and education. The media for much of the 80s and 90s ridiculed and shamed smokers in those PSAs and totally disregarded the feelings of habitual smokers. Smoker shaming worked. Why can't fat shaming?

Edited by 6-eyed shaman, March 14 2017 - 09:53 PM.

Pardon Julian Assange

#25 Eavesdrop

Eavesdrop

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 12:43 AM

I'm not fat and I don't work out or eat anything except fast food and TV dinners. I too need a safe space.

#26 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,499 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted March 15 2017 - 05:44 AM

Lol OP is as nuanced as ever.

No, we do not have to sugarcoat things for too overweight people. No, shaming fat people in general simply for looking obese is not gonna get you the results you want (unless you want more depressed people and deconstructive antagonizing).

Posted Image

#27 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,499 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 05:46 AM

Yeah you're right. There is no obesity epidemic. Fat people are a minority. An oppressed minority. One that needs safe spaces from straight white males. And "sizeist" patriarchal scum of the Earth!

Sometimes it appears as if everytime you notice something regarding minorities something snaps in your brain.

Edited by Asmo, March 15 2017 - 05:47 AM.

• Meliai likes this

Posted Image

#28 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,467 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 05:52 AM

Perhaps the ones who should be shamed are fast food retail outlets, supermarkets that sell sugar or trans fat laden foods. Maybe sugary foods should have plain packaging like tobacco here in Britain with nasty pictures or slogans of the results of obesity printed on.

#29 Pressed Rat

Pressed Rat

Do you even lift, bruh?

• PipPipPip
  • 33,141 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 05:59 AM

I am sick of fat people trying to justify their illness.  It's one thing to be fat, but don't try to act like it's something to be proud of.

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

#30 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,499 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 06:02 AM

I'm beginning to doubt that added sugar on itself is a problem. It is not poison. It is just too much. If a person would eat froot loops, go eat hamburger with half a liter of sugary coke in the right amount (as in with the right amount of energy used) they might not become overweight at all. So it is not the added sugar that deserves messages like consuming this might cost you your arm, it is the amount of it after all. If you move not enough you simply can eat less sugar and stuff before growing in size. Some researchers broke the deal to me in a doc that once ingested the human body breaks it all down to the same thing, wether it is the natural sugar from an apple, banana etc. or the added sugar in certain processed foods. The amounts of sugar (and salt!) should be printed bigger on the packaging! Not some filthy pics of unfortunate unhealthy people.

Posted Image

Click to shop at Sensi Seed Company