• LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted March 15 2017 - 06:56 AM

Meh.

#12 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 12,495 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 06:57 AM

Strange that this thread is still going. It seems pretty obvious that the OP is misinformed and has since been informed and the rest of us are informed and no longer need this thread for information.

doo be doo be doo, beware of the penguins.

#13 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 35,061 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 07:00 AM

It's only just on page 2 dude. But I agree, little purpose to keep it going. There are better threads regarding the topic of abrahamic religions. Well if go by the first post in it.

#14 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 15 2017 - 07:43 AM

Now you might say...banning religion is the same as China. No, it isn't, China is a fascist dictatorship that tortures animals...in China...stealing is illegal...In America...stealing is also illegal...if we have one or two rules the same as China that doesn't make us anything like China...banning Abrahamic religion should be a basic rule, like stealing.

This underlies a lot of the complexity involved with the relationship people seem to have with their religion. You provide an example of morality, I think a lot of people  rely on their faith to be informed by concepts such as morality, so perhaps a religious person looks at your example and thinks something along the lines of "Well, we view torturing animals in the particular context we do in America... because it's shaped by these  Christian values" or something...

To relate to your example though, I've heard North Korea referred to as an "Atheist" country. I don't really know too much about Eastern Cultures but based on one special I've seen on North Korea (which admittedly is not a lot to go on) suggested to me that their "Atheism", if we are to call it that, is something far more bizarre than what we tend to relate to Atheism in the West. For instance, in the special the people we're chanting something along the lines of "Our Ruler, who will reign for Thousands of years! " when Kim-Jong-Un came out for a speech. It may just be a chant, but this clearly sounds like something you might hear from a deeply religious state, I was taken aback and it's hard to really understand in terms of what I and I think many associate as the Empirically oriented, Rational to a fault, Atheism of the West, that has Science as kind of an established mode to inform reality.

Edited by guerillabedlam, March 15 2017 - 07:49 AM.

3i6eiPI.png?

#15 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 15 2017 - 07:45 AM

Strange that this thread is still going. It seems pretty obvious that the OP is misinformed and has since been informed and the rest of us are informed and no longer need this thread for information.

Why Strange it's still going? The thread has been around a day?

3i6eiPI.png?

#16 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 15 2017 - 07:59 AM

Also, Hindus and Buddhists having a low impact on intelligence and society isn't correct.

I know I've heard of some Hindus groups that for lack of a better term, I'd describe as "terrorists", but can you provide any examples of how Hindus and Buddhists interfere with social and intellectual progress?

3i6eiPI.png?

#17 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,877 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:04 AM

I know I've heard of some Hindus groups that for lack of a better term, I'd describe as "terrorists", but can you provide any examples of how Hindus and Buddhists interfere with social and intellectual progress?

Hinduism has the absolutely entrenched caste system that prevents any kind of social mobility.

• guerillabedlam likes this

#18 neoprene_queen

neoprene_queen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationIn the Office or on the Beach

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:07 AM

I think I misread the OP's statement. I'm saying that they have contributed to social and intellectual progress; not detracted. 

That being said, isn't terrorism an absolute deterrent to human progress?

"Pineapple is just as important as the cheese, crust, and sauce."

#19 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 35,061 posts

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:08 AM

Hindus and muslims clash violently in India every once in awhile. Sometimes it's a bunch of muslims and sometimes its a bunch of hindus who instigated the conflict.

#20 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 15 2017 - 08:12 AM

I think I misread the OP's statement. I'm saying that they have contributed to social and intellectual progress; not detracted. 

That being said, isn't terrorism an absolute deterrent to human progress?

Definitely, I was just interested to see if you had some concrete examples and thanks for the clarification.

3i6eiPI.png?

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop