Perfect Job.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by PsychoDave, Mar 13, 2017.

1. PsychoDave

PsychoDave Members

Hi, everyone. I've been thinking lately a lot about what I'm going to do in future, by the way, I'm 20. The thing is that I know I couldn't work at job where I work for someone, I wan't to break the system and not be a slave. Currently I'm working abroad and making 3-4 times more money than I could in my home country. I'm planning to save money and invest It so I wouldn't have to work 5 days a week 8 hours a day. I believe that people who are on this forum should also be against regular, 9-5 jobs, being a slave. Maybe someone can give me some ideas? I'm not good at arts (painting, music ,etc.) which mostly people with similar mindset choose. I probably will never have family, 100% sure will never have kids. I just wan't to live in the middle of woods, travel and spend my time on my hobbies and I know It's possible because I already have few ideas but I would like to hear what others think.

2. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I don't consider working for the man to be slavery. It's actually pretty freeing. I have no worries, just do what the job demands and when I am away from work I don't have to think any more about it till the next work day.
    Living off the grid has many advantages but I enjoy things like sports events, rock concerts, and other things that you can't get in the woods.

3. PsychoDave

PsychoDave Members

Maybe I'm not that good at explaining, the thing is, life is meaningless so why would you work for someone, do what you are asked to do, be in control. I already mentioned that I won't have family because It takes too much work, money, energy. I don't need lots of money to buy the trendiest clothes or coolest phone. I wan't to live peacefully with no neighbors in the woods and be able to spend most of my time as I want if I can't do that and It's a must to go to work every day then I'm not free and life is worthless. Most people are not happy with their lives, their job because they do this slave work which is shown as right thing to do, commercials show that you need this new iphone or trendy clothes so you work in depressing job your entire life. I don't wan't to be like that. If I understood this is hippie forum and hippies shouldn't work 5 days a week in the same job for years. I don't wan't to follow the system, I wan't to make my own and be free.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Surplus wage value.You work 8 hours a day,but really only get paid for 5.The three hours money you don't get paid for is profit for your boss.This is how the whole system works in a nutshell.

5. PsychoDave

PsychoDave Members

I'm not against working, It's not like I'm searching for miracle job which pays you without doing anything, I just don't want to be one of 10000000 depressed people who work in their shitty jobs entire life, that kind of life is pointless. I've got few options like agriculture, flat renting, owning a cafe or another company, renting stuff, craftmanship and would like to hear what others do because I know there are people who can't work in these 9-5 jobs.

6. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

9-5 isn't slavery; it's a pretty nice setup. you get up, get shit done, and then you have all evening and weekend to do what you want. you want slavery, get a salary job. someone forgets their password at 9pm, you get a phone call. someone forgets to turn off the alarm at 4am, you get a phone call.

even worse, you mentioned agriculture. now that's slavery. ever heard of a farmer taking a vacation? no, because they can't.

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yes, as Undies said: farm work is no glory. You see people (especially younger, anti-establishment people) glorifying farm work constantly...but it is hard, time consuming, and unforgiving. No time off, no physical rest, lots of damage from hard labor, and often times, no insurance (be it for your health, or your crop yield). 9-5's are cushy by comparison.

But, I do see a certain directness and gratification in farm work (I've done it). You can see and harvest the direct products of your labor. A typical 9-5 has a roundabout way of gaining necessities --you work so you can get money to buy food. Cash is an odd middle man.

Owning a company isn't too much different than a 9-5, the largest difference is that you work 24/7, and you are not guaranteed any benefits from day to day. You still obey Big Brother--the government has a lot of regulations for and power over small business owners, for better or for worse.

But OP--I think there are plenty of people who bust their asses at a 9-5, not so they can buy "the latest smartphone", or "fashionable clothes", but just so they can get by and have a suitable place to live, feed their families, etc. And there aren't many authentic 9-5 jobs anymore--most have to work from home, or put in extra hours to make ends meet. Workers are largely expendable and their labor isn't paid what it is worth. Whether you are a (small) business owner or an employee, the system is rigged against you. So I agree that you should be angry, but your annoyance is misguided.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOLz

Ok here's how it will really go

You want to work and save so you don't have to work? 20/30 years from now you'll end up bored of a whole lot of things and want to work so you don't go loopy. I assume you are are a guy, as a guy you are pretty much defined by your career,where you work.

Work and save for yourself, there is at least one lady out there somewhere right now that will rob you of half of that.

Painting, music, if you weren't already in totally love with them, this thread wouldnt exist, not only is it already too late at 20, it was too late at 12 if you weren't by then spending hours a day on them

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Not every stable job automatically equates to sitting at a desk all day

I've always thought being a park ranger or working for the department of natural resources would be an amazing job, but i'm sure the job market is very competitive and if you cant find a job in the field you end up being just another guy working at Starbucks with a useless degree in forestry

But worth looking into at least, it sounds like something that would suit you and have the added benefits of, well, benefits

Thats just an example, there are other jobs that involve being outside all day without the personal risk and labor involved in running your own farm.

There are blue collar trade jobs where you can work as a contractor and be your own boss without taking on a ton of risk - installing hardwood flooring and other renovations, for example. You would have to learn the trade then maybe take out a loan to buy your own equipment but still, not a huge risk there, you could probably get everything you need for a few grand

Some people are built for risk taking and putting in the work required to run their own business, maybe you're one of them - in which case you just need to identify a need and figure out how to fill it. personally i would rather punch a time clock and have my evenings, weekends, paid vacations and health benefits than own my own business

10. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

fuck off with the cam-site plugs...we all see thats what your job is...plugging sites ...so fuck off

op-why are you assuming we all feel like you do about being a productive person?....kind of sounds like you trying to make ''failure'' sound like a choice.....

11. PsychoDave

PsychoDave Members

Living in pretty poor country perfectly shows what I am talking about. People are working in jobs they hate, having families which consume most of their time, I have talked to few older people, most of them don't like their job, they do It because they have to, I am 100% sure I will never have kids, yeah, sounds like I'm young and just telling that but no, I really hate kids, after kids I have to spend all my time, money for them, I wan't to live for myself and I'm looking for job that fits me because I'm not like most my friends who know what they are going to study. As I have well paid job, which is 3-4 times more than average in my country. I'm planning to save up in 2-3 years and invest this money. Few of you told that agriculture is hard work, my relatives been in agriculture their whole life, I spent my childhood in farm. It's not like you have to grow crops or farm animals because these two take a lot of work, but you can grow fruits and make sweets from them or make wines, cider, you can also keep bees and harvest honey.
    I have also other options like renting inflatable attractions but in my country there is four seasons so this may work only in summer.
    Renting flats is one of best options, all you have to do is to remind them to pay and receive paychecks and make sure they don't break anything but that needs a lot of money to buy flats.
    I know I still have to work and that's definitely not a problem for me because I'm working abroad in psychically hard job earning twice less than people who live in that country. Come on, I know there is a way how to earn money living in countryside doing as little as possible, I just want to find the best one. If I had no money and I would wan't to sit at home and receive money, then yes, It's just dreaming, but I can save 30-50k euros (similar in dollars) in 2-3 years. Do you all think It's impossible to start nice business with this amount of money?

12. morrow

morrow Visitor

I'm expecting spam from this troll any time soon!
    And i think its close!

Lol

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

and get out of bed to go fix a leak on the fourth floor when someone in the basement calls at 2am to report water pouring through their ceiling (as you may have guessed, this is a situation my landlord had to deal with one night when i came home from work and found a flood).

14. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

i prefer to work for someone else. there are way more perks imo. like if the thing blows up, i just move somewhere else. plus i HATE doing accounting work/managing people. i plan on starting a business, but only as a solo side fun project, simply for the experience of doing it and not the income. so my advice is do something you would like to experience within your field. then change things around every now and then so you don't get bored. take chances, try to get different experiences, not because it looks nice on your resume, but because you find it fun and life is short.

15. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Recognizable issue :p But if I was a landlord I would avoid this by geting some kind of handyman or maybe even a professional company. I know it takes away from the profit... Pretty crazy to do such a thing if you can simply ignore the renters problems as well right (until the ceiling comes down) :p :D

16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

This works in a big apartment building. But if it's a two family house or less then the handyman might cost more than the profits.

17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

If the maintainance was really crappy before it might cost more than the profits indeed. Otherwise it is probably affordable. It takes away from the profits but you have happier renters.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

profit without maintenance investment is theft. whether it is rental housing, transportation infrastructure, or pretty much anything else.
    and that includes paying everyone who does the actual physical work of maintaining it a living wage too.
    of course you could include their living quarters as part of their wage, but only if it were provided at the same quality as your own.

persuasion and manipulation do NOT equal earning.
    (planing and organizing does, but not the process of getting someone else to go along with it)

19. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

And swivelling on a chair 9-5, 5 days a week in front of a computer, drinking coffee and performing endlessly boring repetitive tasks that don't contribute anything to the world is good for you?

The only down side to working for yourself if that it's really fucking hard to make any money. Other than that if you can make it work then it's always the better option.

The only reason farming might be a stressful burdon on your health is because capitalism made it so that farmers have to produce more for less, the same capitalist system that enslaves us into 9-5 jobs and pays us shit wages.

Enjoy your 9-5, I'm done with that shit. Any hours working for someone else.

I did all the work, and I helped to make a few people millionaires. Now I have nothing, and they are living a life of luxury out of all my hard work.

Oh, I feel really liberated now.

20. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Hm, I did't really say any of that, you took a lot of artistic liberty with the meaning of my post there. You are obviously passionate about the subject at hand. I don't disagree at all.

Luckily I don't have to sit at a desk all day nor do I work to make money for someone else. The thought it irksome, but I still think it might be better than full time farm work. Unless you work on a private family farm which you use to feed and clothe your own family, farmers are still making other people rich.