• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 PsychoDave

PsychoDave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hi, everyone. I've been thinking lately a lot about what I'm going to do in future, by the way, I'm 20. The thing is that I know I couldn't work at job where I work for someone, I wan't to break the system and not be a slave. Currently I'm working abroad and making 3-4 times more money than I could in my home country. I'm planning to save money and invest It so I wouldn't have to work 5 days a week 8 hours a day. I believe that people who are on this forum should also be against regular, 9-5 jobs, being a slave. Maybe someone can give me some ideas? I'm not good at arts (painting, music ,etc.) which mostly people with similar mindset choose. I probably will never have family, 100% sure will never have kids. I just wan't to live in the middle of woods, travel and spend my time on my hobbies and I know It's possible because I already have few ideas but I would like to hear what others think. 

#2 penguinsfan13

penguinsfan13

• PipPipPip
  • 12,544 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 11:59 AM

I don't consider working for the man to be slavery. It's actually pretty freeing. I have no worries, just do what the job demands and when I am away from work I don't have to think any more about it till the next work day.
Living off the grid has many advantages but I enjoy things like sports events, rock concerts, and other things that you can't get in the woods.

doo be doo be doo, beware of the penguins.

#3 PsychoDave

PsychoDave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 12:17 PM

Maybe I'm not that good at explaining, the thing is, life is meaningless so why would you work for someone, do what you are asked to do, be in control. I already mentioned that I won't have family because It takes too much work, money, energy. I don't need lots of money to buy the trendiest clothes or coolest phone. I wan't to live peacefully with no neighbors in the woods and be able to spend most of my time as I want if I can't do that and It's a must to go to work every day then I'm not free and life is worthless. Most people are not happy with their lives, their job because they do this slave work which is shown as right thing to do, commercials show that you need this new iphone or trendy clothes so you work in depressing job your entire life. I don't wan't to be like that. If I understood this is hippie forum and hippies shouldn't work 5 days a week in the same job for years. I don't wan't to follow the system, I wan't to make my own and be free.

Edited by PsychoDave, March 13 2017 - 12:23 PM.

#4 Ged

Ged

No Fantasy Required.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • LocationOakwood, London.

Posted March 13 2017 - 12:21 PM

Surplus wage value.You work 8 hours a day,but really only get paid for 5.The three hours money you don't get paid for is profit for your boss.This is how the whole system works in a nutshell.

Edited by Ged, March 13 2017 - 12:22 PM.

"What has posterity ever done for me!" - Groucho Marx.

#5 PsychoDave

PsychoDave

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 12:22 PM

I'm not against working, It's not like I'm searching for miracle job which pays you without doing anything, I just don't want to be one of 10000000 depressed people who work in their shitty jobs entire life, that kind of life is pointless. I've got few options like agriculture, flat renting, owning a cafe or another company, renting stuff, craftmanship and would like to hear what others do because I know there are people who can't work in these 9-5 jobs.

#6 I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear

voice of sexy

• PipPipPip
  • 39,648 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 04:42 PM

9-5 isn't slavery; it's a pretty nice setup.  you get up, get shit done, and then you have all evening and weekend to do what you want.  you want slavery, get a salary job.  someone forgets their password at 9pm, you get a phone call.  someone forgets to turn off the alarm at 4am, you get a phone call.

even worse, you mentioned agriculture.  now that's slavery.  ever heard of a farmer taking a vacation?  no, because they can't.

#7 youfreeme

youfreeme

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,439 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 05:11 PM

Yes, as Undies said: farm work is no glory.  You see people (especially younger, anti-establishment people) glorifying farm work constantly...but it is hard, time consuming, and unforgiving.  No time off, no physical rest, lots of damage from hard labor, and often times, no insurance (be it for your health, or your crop yield).  9-5's are cushy by comparison.  

But, I do see a certain directness and gratification in farm work (I've done it).  You can see and harvest the direct products of your labor.  A typical 9-5 has a roundabout way of gaining necessities --you work so you can get money to buy food. Cash is an odd middle man.

Owning a company isn't too much different than a 9-5, the largest difference is that you work 24/7, and you are not guaranteed any benefits from day to day.  You still obey Big Brother--the government has a lot of regulations for and power over small business owners, for better or for worse.

But OP--I think there are plenty of people who bust their asses at a 9-5, not so they can buy "the latest smartphone", or "fashionable clothes", but just so they can get by and have a suitable place to live, feed their families, etc.  And there aren't many authentic 9-5 jobs anymore--most have to work from home, or put in extra hours to make ends meet.  Workers are largely expendable and their labor isn't paid what it is worth.  Whether you are a (small) business owner or an employee, the system is rigged against you.  So I agree that you should be angry, but your annoyance is misguided. 

Edited by youfreeme, March 13 2017 - 05:12 PM.

#8 Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla

Go Ape

• PipPipPip
  • 13,519 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted March 13 2017 - 05:38 PM

Hi, everyone. I've been thinking lately a lot about what I'm going to do in future, by the way, I'm 20. The thing is that I know I couldn't work at job where I work for someone, I wan't to break the system and not be a slave. Currently I'm working abroad and making 3-4 times more money than I could in my home country. I'm planning to save money and invest It so I wouldn't have to work 5 days a week 8 hours a day. I believe that people who are on this forum should also be against regular, 9-5 jobs, being a slave. Maybe someone can give me some ideas? I'm not good at arts (painting, music ,etc.) which mostly people with similar mindset choose. I probably will never have family, 100% sure will never have kids. I just wan't to live in the middle of woods, travel and spend my time on my hobbies and I know It's possible because I already have few ideas but I would like to hear what others think.

LOLz

Ok here's how it will really go

You want to work and save so you don't have to work? 20/30 years from now you'll end up bored of a whole lot of things and want to work so you don't go loopy. I assume you are are a guy, as a guy you are pretty much defined by your career,where you work.

Work and save for yourself, there is at least one lady out there somewhere right now that will rob you of half of that.

Painting, music, if you weren't already in totally love with them, this thread wouldnt exist, not only is it already too late at 20, it was too late at 12 if you weren't by then spending hours a day on them

#9 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 12,983 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 09:12 PM

Not every stable job automatically equates to sitting at a desk all day

I've always thought being a park ranger or working for the department of natural resources would be an amazing job, but i'm sure the job market is very competitive and if you cant find a job in the field you end up being just another guy working at Starbucks with a useless degree in forestry

But worth looking into at least, it sounds like something that would suit you and have the added benefits of, well, benefits

Thats just an example, there are other jobs that involve being outside all day without the personal risk and labor involved in running your own farm.

There are blue collar trade jobs where you can work as a contractor and be your own boss without taking on a ton of risk - installing hardwood flooring and other renovations, for example. You would have to learn the trade then maybe take out a loan to buy your own equipment but still, not a huge risk there, you could probably get everything you need for a few grand

Some people are built for risk taking and putting in the work required to run their own business, maybe you're one of them - in which case you just need to identify a need and figure out how to fill it. personally i would rather punch a time clock and have my evenings, weekends, paid vacations and health benefits than own my own business

Edited by Meliai, March 13 2017 - 09:14 PM.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#10 rollingalong

rollingalong

☠☠☠☠☠

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,799 posts
  • LocationCanada 💨

Posted March 14 2017 - 01:21 AM

The perfect job for me is to earn big money easy. I am making thousands bucks just bringing cam models to the site. I register as an affiliate at camdeliciousdotcom and i earn 15% from the profits of each model for every month! Imagine a cam model can earn about from $3500 untill $10000 but this depends from the model.If you register some models like me, you will not need to work again to your life. You just share your affiliate links to social networks, to forums, to free classified websites. Some they make even fake facebook profiles to attract customers (except from models). Why customers? Because you can be paid and from the customers' money. Some customers pay $200-$300 just to see a model naked!

fuck off with the cam-site plugs...we all see thats what your job is...plugging sites ...so fuck off

op-why are you assuming we all feel like you do about being a productive person?....kind of sounds like you trying to make ''failure'' sound like a choice.....