Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop
Photo
- - - - -

Indyref 2: Scotland Goes To The Polls Again

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

Poll: Indyref 2: Scotland Goes To The Polls Again (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Scotland be an Independent Country?

1. Yes (3 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. No (1 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. Yes (non-nationals) (4 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. No (non-nationals) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Fear The Wickerman

Fear The Wickerman

orbiter of helion

• PipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 13 2017 - 04:33 AM

About time!

Might as well make this a poll, but I'm not putting this in the poll section because it's more about the discussion. I've split the vote into Yes or No for Scottish nationals and yes-no for non-nationals, please only choose one option. Scottish nationals who were also ex-pats were not allowed to vote in the 2014 referendum, so for the record I'd like to invite Scottish nationals who currently live abroad to vote in the Scottish nationals yes-no category. Non-nationals who live in Scotland now, decide for yourself which category you would like to vote in.

Anyone who lives in Scotland now, and is expecting to remain here is free to vote in the real referendum as far as I am concerned. You have to live here so it's only right you have a say, with the exception of JK Rowling who I very much hope keeps her stupid mouth shut this time round.

I split the vote to get an idea of what people think who are Scottish vs. what people think who aren't Scottish.

Could be a long thread, we're looking at sometime between Autumn 2018 and Spring 2019 at the last, before Brexit is finally put in motion. Not soon enough for me.

As far as I am concerned I want Scotland to just declare itself indepedent. Unilateral Declaration of Independence. We can do that if we want to, and the only reason Sturgeon isn't is because (perhaps rightly) she wants to play it safe. She would risk creating civil unrest if she just declared it, regardless of whether it's the right thing to do for Scotland or not. When Scotland goes independent there will be parties, but the bulldogs will also be out waving their union jack flags and causing trouble like they were last time, even though they won the vote.

Sturgeon is seeking permission from Scarecrow, who has already indicated that she wont allow it. But she can't stop us holding a referendum. Maybe she has the power to block the outcome should Scotland vote Yes, but then she'd find herself in a very dificult position and likely then to yield to the popular choice, which I'm certain was a lot higher in 2014 than we were told, and will be again.

In 1997 Scotland voted 3 to 1 in favour of devolution, and that was under a New Labour government, before Tony Blair and Gordon Brown really started to fuck up. How can it be then, in 2014 Scotland voted against 54% to 45%, during possibly one of the worst tory administrations in history, marginally worse than the Thatcher years? Doesn't really make sense to me.

Of course, there was a higher turn in the 2014 referendum, and I was allowed a vote while I was living in Manchester. There is also The Vow, also known as The Lie, and the scaremongering of pensioners into making them fear they would lose their pensions.

The postal votes of 2014 were also interesting. They were swayed very heavily towards No and were statistically anomalous in so far as the turn out was concerned. There is never a 100% turn out in these things, they always take into account factors like people moving, and dying etc in calculating figures so 90% or something is considered a full turn out. In the postal votes nearly all constinuencies had either a near full turn out or greater than. I can't remember the exact figures, I'll look out the article when i have the time and post it, but many have speculated that this might be one of the ways the authories helped to pull off a fraud. The postal votes were also sent down to England for some reason.

-----

Discussion about Brexit is also welcome here since it forms a big part of the current move of Scotland towards independence.

For the record I also voted for Brexit. I don't see the logic in turning over sovereign powers to a more centralised government.

I'd be more happy with Scotland independent from the UK, but still in the EU than the opposite scenario we are currently facing, since an independent country in the EU has more powers to decide it's own laws than one tied to the hegemonic rule of Westminster.

#2 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,969 posts

Posted March 13 2017 - 04:52 AM

Be interesting to see how this works out.

I think that given May's prating on about 'the will of the people' over Brexit, it would be very difficult, if not impossible to deny the will of the Scottish people if they vote for it.

Personally, I'd like to see Westminster stripped of much of it's power. We could have devolution of the English regions too. De-centralize. Decide things locally. Go back to something like the old Anglo-Saxon kingdoms (no kings of course!)

No doubt the Westminster lot will be issuing dire warnings about voting for independence. Expect more propaganda and lies.

'Delicacy and dignity are taught by the heart and not by the dancing master' - Dostoevsky.

#3 Fear The Wickerman

Fear The Wickerman

orbiter of helion

• PipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 13 2017 - 05:05 AM

Hopefully those who were mongered into voting No will see through the bullshit this time. This time the Yes campaign will have "The Vow". What happened to "The Vow"? Nothing happened, it was all lies.

Sure, next day devo max is going to be right there on the table if you vote No. Of course, it's also going to be there if you vote Yes as well.

May is a hypocrite. When Gordon Brown assumed the role of prime minister without a single person casting a vote in his favour, she told him in front of everyone in the house of commons that he had "no remit" to be the PM. And there she goes and does the same thing.

What a terrible cunt that woman really is.

#4 Ged

Ged

Rhetorical Juvenile.

• PipPipPip
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationOakwood, London.

Posted March 13 2017 - 07:15 AM

Lettuce leaf

• Fear The Wickerman likes this
"What has posterity ever done for me!" - Groucho Marx.

#5 Fear The Wickerman

Fear The Wickerman

orbiter of helion

• PipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 13 2017 - 08:27 AM

Let's make Scotland great again!

#6 Mallyboppa

Mallyboppa

Nails Mc Fugger

• PipPipPip
  • 5,585 posts
  • LocationRuncorn GB

Posted March 13 2017 - 02:24 PM

http://www.dailymail...membership.html  Cant have it All ways ! 

So scotland want to be Independent so they can be Governed by Brussels smilielol5.gif

Edited by Mallyboppa, March 13 2017 - 02:27 PM.

In your pomp and all your glory your a poorer man than me as you lick the boots of death born out of fear 

#7 Fear The Wickerman

Fear The Wickerman

orbiter of helion

• PipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 14 2017 - 12:49 AM

Fine with me. And the tories can take their nuclear submarines and shove them up their arses.

I'm pretty sure the vote in Scotland would have swayed in favour of leaving the EU had we been independent. Some people voted to remain because Nicola said we'd get another indyref.

Yes, the situation is all fucked up. It wouldn't be as fucked up if the tories and labour hadn't gone round fearmongering and spreading lies through the media in 2014.

I said this last time, and I'll say it again. If you want to be ruled by Westminster then go and live in London.

Edited by The Walking Dickhead, March 14 2017 - 12:49 AM.

#8 F6C

F6C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationUK - NW

Posted March 14 2017 - 02:15 AM

I said this last time, and I'll say it again. If you want to be ruled by Westminster then go and live in London.

And maybe if you want to be ruled by Brussels go and live in Brussels???

#9 F6C

F6C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • LocationUK - NW

Posted March 14 2017 - 02:17 AM

May is a hypocrite. When Gordon Brown assumed the role of prime minister without a single person casting a vote in his favour, she told him in front of everyone in the house of commons that he had "no remit" to be the PM. And there she goes and does the same thing.

Careful what you wish for - if May decided to call a snap election then accoding to polsters (ha ha who can believe them of late) she'd get a landslide and could basically do what she pleased as there would be no effective opposition....

#10 Fear The Wickerman

Fear The Wickerman

orbiter of helion

• PipPipPip
  • 2,638 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted March 14 2017 - 02:37 AM

And maybe if you want to be ruled by Brussels go and live in Brussels???

You hit the nail.

May can call a snap election is she likes, I hope she does. Corbyn will win.

Click to shop at Sensi Seed Company