Getting Tough, Does Not Reduce Crime

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by themnax, Mar 11, 2017.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

counted intuitive though it may be, to everything we are familiar with being taught culturally,
    as long as anyone has been keeping honest stats on the relationship between the two,
    an atmosphere and culture of toughness, has always INCREASED the level of criminal activity.
    NEVER lowered it.

the only thing that has ever LOWERED it, is a culture of mutual consideration.

religions were, i believe, invented to help, and to a limited degree they do,
    while at the same time introducing complications and muddying further the waters.

which is not to say anything against their good intent.
    (nor against those of whatever god-like beings might or might not happen to exist)

not all beliefs intentionally or even unintentionally, tell people to hate logic or to not think.
    a couple of the biggest and most familiar do, but they are only two among about a dozen or so major ones.

my interest in not specifically in them, but in the kind of world we all have to live in,
    and ALL of the factors influencing the quality of that experience.

my simple, if simple minded conclusion, is that aggressiveness lowers the quality of life.
    statistically this is born out by the example cited.

numbers that have been pretty consistent, as long as honest count has been kept.

forgive me for not linking directly to references. my mind has never been well organized to keep bibliographies.
    they're out there if anyone does care to look them up though.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

It doesn't reduce our taxes, either, as the prison system then becomes overburdened and overpopulated. When the criminal system doubles as a mental health institution and a holding place for inner city youth, no one wins.

3. mcme

mcme lurker

Just giving those who want, but won't work for it, whatever they desire, whether it's your wife, daughter or belongings, is a far greater crime. And the harsh penalty/getting tough system I believe in doesn't have a very large prison system. Not many second chances and no third chances weeds out career criminals quick.