When Is A Car Driver Too Old To Drive?

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by morrow, Mar 7, 2017.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

2. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

No-one's gonna take any rights away from old people, they vote.

I don't think there should be an absolute cut-off age, since people's eyesight and reflexes diminish at different speeds, but more strenuous and frequent testing in order to renew a licence after a certain age wouldn't go amiss.

3. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Here after the age of 80 you must take a written test every two years to renew your licence. In the last few years they have also included in the test specific questions to help determine if their is diminished mental capacity.

There has been some controversy as it is not an actual driving test. To be fair I think there is some merit in everyone having to take one after a period of time as we all tend to develop bad habits.

I do find that if a senior here has an accident that is some what serious it does tend to be reported with some bias questioning their age. They also though tend to do the same with young drivers here.

4. morrow

morrow Visitor

My Dad became an awful driver by the time he was 70!
    We used to be terrified at going in the car with him..It's something we laughed at with him when he was dieing! And we still do!
    We used to say he said..Oh look, another accident in my rear mirror!
    Beeping me to stop! I'm not getting involved! Lol, still makes me laugh!
    He gave up at 70, he just wasn't as observent as he was!

I agree with the regular check after a certain age, maybe at a similar time as an eye test!

5. morrow

morrow Visitor

Bilby likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

We live in a fast paced world and the roads are only getting more hectic and more speedy and more filled with younger dickheads racing to further fast track their lives. Now while I don't agree with taking licenses of the elderly, in my views and observations, the older folk just cannot keep up with this fast highway lifestyle and I find, that they often will cause more accidents by being too overly cautious and by that I mean, having no confidence to go the posted speed limits.

Going to slow is just as dangerous as going too fast sometimes and while you yourself may not get into an accident, and maybe it serves them right, but the folk in a rush end up having an accident trying to find a way around the slower vehicles and I really do think if you're unable to go that posted limit or have no confidencen to do so, then I think maybe it's time to hand your license over, sorry but I just don't think it's worth some young father getting the shits over and then trying to pass a slow vehicle and wiping out their family en route to a holiday destination, as we see far far too often where I live in the snowfields etc. we get this all the time and I know there's also responsibility of the other drivers but being to cautious I think is a road hazard and unfortunately, it's the elders...

-hides-

7. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

My Gran stopped after her first small crash, around 75.

Don't worry, they'll all be whizzing around on autopilot soon once driverless comes in.

8. F6C

F6C Members

Very difficult and emotive subject this, and one i fear will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

Not sure what the answer is........

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think it is very clear. Above a certain age more frequent testing is in place. If you pass you can still drive, otherwise unfortunately not anymore. If it was due to a temporary ailment one should be able to apply for a test some time later again for sure.

10. F6C

F6C Members

This is over simplfying things I think.

What standards would be expected of them in the driving test?

The DTI standard? How many of us realistically think we could pass that test now??

If not that - what test, and who would pay for it and administer it???

As I mentioned above - not sure anyone really knows what the solution is!!

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I agree it stands or falls with how good and reasonable the test is and I've not been busy with that yet ;)

1 person likes this.
  12. joelucas69

joelucas69 Members

It should be about physical and mental capabilities, not age necessarily. I have an uncle (great uncle, actually - my father's uncle) who just turned 100 this year. He looks 75, has great mental capacity, and still drives. And yes, he's not part of the normal bell curve for someone his age.

And I have a good friend who is 43 years old, and has been diagnosed with early-onset dementia. He had gotten into several auto wrecks (none serious enough to cause injuries) and totaled 2 cars. Now he is prohibited from driving.

13. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

If they are still capable of driving safely they should still be allowed to drive....the issue is really how, when & how often they should they be re-tested....with regards, that, I dunno, I'd have to do some research to answer that one.

14. morrow

morrow Visitor

There are some good programs on TV about elderly drivers, whilst very funny! Not all are capable of reacting quick enough!

I personally think reaction time, which takes in observation of other drivers, is by far the biggest problem with older drivers, the problem that comes with that, is getting the to accept they have a problem!
    A lot believe as they have driven for so many years, they are experts!

Roads are busier now, cars are getting faster..

Who keeps up with a highway code?

Could YOU pass a driving test now?