Transitioning Into Being A Hippy

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Sora, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Sora

Sora Members

Greetings, friends! So, I'm relatively new to being a hippy, in the process of trying to transition myself, if you will. Before saying anything else, I do have to say that I've read some of the pinned posts here and have been overjoyed at the kindness shown in them to others, especially this one:

God damn, does that speak to me. I'm pretty young, only just 21 years old. The past 8 years of my life have been a real terrible roller coaster for me, up and down, all around. From one end to another. Been close to suicide, self harmed, lost my father, saw large transitions, betrayals, heartbreaks, and experienced terrible and fearful things. It's all left me with such terrible strife. Anger, rage, confusion, depression, anguish. Causing me to lash out in violent ways towards myself and others. Making me sad, down on myself and the world, hopeless sometimes, often utterly broken, but carrying myself through on ego will and hope alone. I'd spend so much time dwelling within my own mental and emotional prisons, pushing loved ones away, and even hurting some of them, deeply so, in the process. I'd always come back around and make right, I never let wounds like that fester, but my rage and sadness are uncontrollable sometimes. The last few months of 2016 were utterly harrowing for me, some of the darkest moments of my life, almost culminating in a double suicide between me and my girlfriend. It's been grim.

I've grown up a metalhead (especially veering on the bizarre and experimental side), and until a few days ago, I know it may sound silly to those of you who are more enlightened than I, I thought it was virtually impossible to be both a metalhead and a hippie, since both are fairly lifestyle-defining things. Ironic, since they're both about freeing yourself from restriction and constraints. But then spending a little time here, reading some things, made me realize that really...you can be whatever you want, and that's what's truly at the core of being a hippie. It's not music, not the drugs, not the dress, and so what if you don't keep every last belief of a stereotypical hippie. What matters is what you hold in your heart and soul, and the rest follows suit. Holding love in your heart, and sharing in kindness with a free spirit. Honestly, that damn near brought a tear to my eye, reading stuff like that. It sound so simple and so silly because I never really opened my mind to the fact that it could be anything more than concrete, black and white, binary, this or that. That you could listen to the most heavy, nihilistic shit, mosh it out like a madman, and still be a hippie. Again, to those who are more well-versed in a lot of the philosophy behind it, it sounds like such a simple thing, but for me, it was a powerful realization.

Realizing that being a hippie is truly about being yourself, disregarding labels and doing your own thing, even if it's the labels that tend to get imposed upon our culture. That you don't have to follow suit. That it all comes naturally. That such things come from opening the heart and sharing in joy and kindness, yanking that peace out and sharing it with others. I pursued being a hippy for a few reasons...originally, way originally, it came from the fact that I've a foot fetish, and a mud fetish. Sounds weird, silly, whatever. And I thought it was cool that things like that were often associated with hippies too, a love of going barefoot, and enjoying the Earth and mud, so an association in a way. I also shared a love of music in the same way, an absolute passion for whatever sound moves the soul. I didn't really start fully thinking into it until a few days ago, honestly. That maybe perhaps my fascination and weird introductions to my understanding of it all was something I should look more into proper.

Stemming from a desire for peace, for balance, for good vibes, kindness, care, and love. From wanting to surround myself with good, positive people and thoughts and feelings. As my life transitions around me still, and I grow distant from some others that I used to be intimate friends with, and I look to rearrange my priorities, positive ways, light, love, kindness, empathy, peace, care...these are the things I find myself desiring. Balance. To be able to breathe out that stress, agony, and anguish that builds in my heart like a sickness, and just smile. Smile and bask in light and happiness. I know that there's no such thing as a cure-all, perfect fix, and that being a hippy won't solve all my problems, that I'll still take my beatings from life, but this is something that really appeals to me. A lifestyle lived in positivity, keeping balance and happiness and fun at the heart of it all, living in tune with nature and the world around us, such things greatly appeal to me. As I get more and more frustrated with things in my life that continue to give me a headache, peace inside and out is what I desire most, and the good things I've found from this way have really pushed me towards this transition.

And even thinking of it, writing it - it fills me with joy, with pleasure, with peace. It excites me. I'd like to hear some other thoughts and feelings on this, and perhaps other things to think on or words of encouragement or direction in this matter as I begin my true effort to find myself within myself. You all are wonderful.

Peace and love <3

2 people like this.
  2. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Maybe you will get as much progress writing this out as you will from any responses here.

3. Sora

Sora Members

True. Writing helps me a great deal, and already throughout the process of putting my thoughts to words, it always gives me new avenues of thought and consideration as I work through the paths of what I want to say and in what way

4. morrow

morrow Visitor

Hi sora, and welcome..

Just a little tip..This lot don't like long posts..
    But you could open a blog! If you like writing, go for it!
    I like writing too, enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Who Exactly Are "This Lot".......Mmmmmm...???...[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

6. morrow

morrow Visitor

Not you of course Glen!
    Why you are a cool hippy that reads everything! And anything!

That's why you always pop up when least expected!

Heehee, but always very welcome as far as I'm concerned!

Cheers Glen ;)

1 person likes this.
  7. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Mmmmmmm...OK...I'll Let You Off The Hook This Time....But...Don't Let It Happen Again Young Lady.... :)

Cheers Morrow.

8. morrow

morrow Visitor

Thanks Glen :) cheers with a toaster ;)

9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Only Ever Popped Up When Least Expected When I Was A Teenager.....TMI..???.....[​IMG]

Cheers Morrow.

1 person likes this.
  10. Sora

Sora Members

I tend to be someone who doesn't mean to write long stuff, but always ends up there, since I always want to make sure that I get all my thoughts out in the way that I want to, especially in a format like this where folks would be responding to it.

But I can understand a dislike of long posts, I get it. Not for everyone, of course (I learned that when I was making YouTube videos too), I will definitely give consideration to the blog thought, as it gives me plenty of freedom to share my thoughts and have others interact with them. Cheers, and thank you much

1 person likes this.
  11. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Long posts are fine if they warrant it but are easier to read if broken up into paragraphs with a space like this:

By the way I like you dude stick around!

1 person likes this.
  12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Oh my bad I'm sorry I see you did that! Maybe more spaces then! SPACE!!! It's thevway to go!

1 person likes this.
  13. Sora

Sora Members

More space is always better, for sure, without a doubt! Probably gonna go throw in a bit more now actually (Just saw I can't edit after a certain amount of time. Oh well, point remains!). I remember 8 years ago or so when I first started being on forums and stuff, when I was like 13, my posts would just be massive walls of text, and I didn't get why it pissed people off. It took me a while but I got it, ahah. We all were there at some point or another.

And thank you, I really enjoy you as well, and all the other folks I've come into contact with throughout my time here, it's definitely a cool place!

14. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

My first real exposure to hippies was at a Rainbow Gathering and I was never the same again. What struck me the most was there were people from all walks of life trying all sorts of different things to make more sense out of life, make a positive contribution, and just enjoy being themselves. Placing my faith and trust that it can be done I found my way and now walk the road less traveled among friends. :)

3 people like this.
  15. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Personally I gave up in trying to be a hippy or not and just tried to get on with it.

1 person likes this.
  16. Sora

Sora Members

On mobile so I can't quote, but Heron's post is the kinda thing I'm talking about. Open minded, positive experiences with and from anyone and everyone who shares such feelings, a positive contribution in a peaceful, happy way.

Ged - I see what you mean. Just getting on with it, being yourself. I'm about that.

17. mizzymorrison

mizzymorrison Sage

Just found your thread man. I like it. I was searching for van dwelling and came across this. I know I'm a bit late, but welcome. And I for one, will read long posts. If you start a blog I'll read that too. But anyway you have the same outlook on life as I do. Well a lot of us do. I saw Wu Li mentioned Rainbow. I want to get there so bad. You'd totally be interested yourself. Its in Oregon this year. So I don't think I'll make it. I need a van! lol
    Talk to you soon

18. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

[​IMG]

As for transitioning into being a hippie. It's not like you need to come out to your loved ones, get hormone injections, buy new clothes, get surgery and start using the other public restroom. You just do it.

C/s,
    Rev J

3 people like this.
  19. mizzymorrison

mizzymorrison Sage

Crack me up! LOL I miss Chris!