Uk To Make Sex And Relationships Education For 4 Year Olds Compulsory

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by morrow, Mar 2, 2017.

1. morrow

morrow Visitor

2. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

You do.

"Under the Government plans it will be compulsory to teach SRE in primary and secondary schools, although parents would be able opt their children out of classes. "

3. morrow

morrow Visitor

Well, that's good news if they stick to it!

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

It doesnt really sound like they're going to teach young children about sex

It sounds like they're going to teach young children how to tell an adult if they come across sexual cintent online and teach them that its not okay if anyone tries to touch them inappropriately.

Sounds ok to me, my child can only use his tablet under my supervision so I dont worry about the onlinething but I do discuss what to do if anyone ever tries to touch his private parts .

1 person likes this.
  5. morrow

morrow Visitor

But at 4, isn't it taking their innocense away, in some way?

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

:iagree:

Laws like this are clearly handed down by perverted old men in parliament and they should be removed from office.

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Remove her too then. :)7

9. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Kids today are exposed to far more risks than our generation was. Many are latch key kids and most have access to the net where there are predators let alone cell phones and sexting. Teaching awareness and caution is necessary as the "bad" people are not just strangers.

As much as I wish it were not so, kids are sexually active far younger than before.

Here the program is tailored to age appropriate information. So it starts with ok touches and being aware to tell if something happens to far more detailed and varied information as a child ages. They have expanded the program to include bisexual and gay issues as well as more about STD's at higher age levels. They also now included same sex couples, and many other topics never before included. They also do abstinence.

I have no issue with these changes as the more information given, possibly, the better choices they will make.

Many children will not get any guidance from home or information. This at least gives them accurate information to make decisions from.

2 people like this.
  10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I suppose so but personally speaking i would rather my son be aware that if anything like that ever happens it isnt his fault and he should feel safe telling me. Because usually pedophiles do tell children if they tell anyone they'll be in trouble. So i do think it is good to be proactive and make sure children feel safe telling a trusted adult.

I understand if you feel it isnt the school's responsibility to teach this but i do think parents should be having this discussion at least.

1 person likes this.
  11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

she will be removed

but it will be because of hydro prices

12. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

No way guys ! Innocence is called that for a reason Nature has a way of telling kids when they are ready ( you dont trust nature ? )

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I was reading about King Arthur at that age.
    I guess I knew what sex was, can tell you I wasn't interested.
    Why would I be interested in sharing a bed with someone at that age when I could have been reading about Merlin and the Lady of the Lake which have been held so close to my heart during my life, fantastic influences.

If you want to know me as a person and what's influenced me to be who I am, start reading. :)

I won't be defined as a person in any regards to sex, though I'm good looking and damn good at it. ;) :gorgeous:

14. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

They'd be better off being taught philosophy.

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

and math...maybe a few english lessons would help too instead of teaching them about "why Johnny has two dads"....

the world of today is so fucked up

16. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

From the article:

"Four-year-olds are likely to be taught about online safety, and about telling a trusted adult if they are asked to keep a secret that they are uncomfortable with."

Why are we all pretending that 4 year old kids are gonna be shown pictures of genital warts? This alarmism is fucking ridiculous.

Literally all it is is taking the standard "Don't go into a car with a stranger if they offer you sweets " aspect of PSHE lessons (which was already taught at that age)and applying the same logic to the internet because those learning objectives are outdated given the change in kids' environments since they were implemented. No precious little cherub is gonna go home and ask mummy and daddy what fisting is, nothing is really going to change at all.

Headlines like this imply that We're gonna teach kids how to put a condom on a banana before we teach them long division. Don't be fooled.

I also missed the bit of the article where it implied that this was going to replace English, Maths and Reading.... maybe I should give it a reread :[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

you missed the part where its Trumps fault too

18. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

It's a truly Sad reflection of society, that with the advantages that the internet World (wide) which we live in today, brings with it the accessibility to view, be viewed and opens up a whole lotta Danger to the most Vulnerable.
    Whilst explaining to children the mechanics of physical interaction - and consequences of such(?), then it does take away the innocence that childhood used to have.
    It seems that the price one has to pay for the a development of the modern world
    One can only hope that it is done with a degree of sensitivity and that Love as well as Lust is covered in such lessons

19. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Overall, I see this as a good thing.........& no I absolutely do not think it would rob kids of their innocence....the only thing that robs a kid of their innocence IMO is being sexually abused or being more or less forced into undertaking an adult role well before they are an adult etc.

20. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

When you were a kid, you were probably told "don't talk to strangers, don't take sweets from strangers, don't go off with strangers or get in their cars" etc.

Did that "rob you of your innocence"?

Because that's literally all that this is. they're just expanding these standard common sense rules to include online interactions as well as real life ones.