#1 Sora

Sora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted March 01 2017 - 07:35 AM

Hello friends,

As of late, more and more, I have found myself greatly torn between two views of people, and the world at large, and this also plays into my personal views on myself, and my emotions.

Ideally, I want us all to get along, to love each other, be peaceful, work towards a strong future as one species. To set aside all differences, and care for our fellow man and planet, to take full responsibility of being humans on this green world. Just as well on this coin, I seek to live my life peacefully, without anger, strife, grudges, hatred, to be kind to everyone, and live life to its fullest.

This is all just ideally, however.

More often than not, I find myself on the opposite end of the spectrum. I have no hope for our species or the planet, and that we all should die for what we've done to each other, and the world around us. That we're beyond repentance, and that everyday we just dig ourselves deeper, regression instead of progression. And in terms of my personal feelings and life, it fills me with anger and displeasure, makes me be spiteful towards my metaphorical fellow man, and even pushes me to not want to live amongst all this anymore, as I'm often so filled with resentment, anger, hatred, and sadness, directed towards so many things that seem almost beyond repair.

So my question to you all - how does one reconcile these seemingly paradoxical beliefs? The first is the ideal, the second is where I'm kinda stuck in. I'm curious to hear all your thoughts on these beliefs and issues at large, as I spend a lot of time agonizing and pontificating on this.

All thoughts and opinions welcome!
  • BlackBillBlake, Moonglow181 and lakWhella like this

#2 soulcompromise

soulcompromise

• PipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted March 01 2017 - 07:41 AM

So my question to you all - how does one reconcile these seemingly paradoxical beliefs? The first is the ideal, the second is where I'm kinda stuck in. I'm curious to hear all your thoughts on these beliefs and issues at large, as I spend a lot of time agonizing and pontificating on this.

I have these same feelings, and then I struggle with my own identity as a result. Just want you to know you're not alone, if that's what you're feeling. 

I try to be a reasonable person, but the actions and behavior of other people always seem to rub me the wrong way. Not sure how to reconcile it; besides escapism. 

• BlackBillBlake and Sora like this
Posted Image

#3 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,407 posts

Posted March 01 2017 - 07:46 AM

I'm sure a lot of people experience the same thing.

I think we have to accept that the human race has a lot to learn, and that a lot of the way we treat each other and our environment leaves a huge amount to be desired.

But things could be different, and that's why you have to try to maintain a positive view. If you slip into seeing it all in negative terms, you risk becoming part of the problem rather than the solution. 

To some extent a kind of stoic attitude might help.Trying to do what's right even if others continue to think and act in negative ways. Not saying it's easy, but it's rewarding to make the effort.

• Sora likes this

#4 Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts
  • LocationAnother Universe

Posted March 01 2017 - 07:58 AM

“Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest.
The soul, uneasy, and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.”

Alexander Pope

The Pale Buddha is famous for saying, "The past is only a memory, the future is but a dream" but, without faith in our memories and dreams life as we know it would be impossible. Without faith in both awareness itself is impossible. You can view the situation as meaning we are all cursed to have faith in a nightmare, or that it is our choice to live our dreams if we can but accept that reality without dreams is just somebody's nightmare, while dreams without reality are someone else's fantasy.

Edited by Wu Li Heron, March 01 2017 - 07:59 AM.

• Sora likes this

#5 Moonglow181

Moonglow181

Lifetime Supporter

• Lifetime Supporter 
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,990 posts

Posted March 01 2017 - 08:15 AM

Hello friends,

As of late, more and more, I have found myself greatly torn between two views of people, and the world at large, and this also plays into my personal views on myself, and my emotions.

Ideally, I want us all to get along, to love each other, be peaceful, work towards a strong future as one species. To set aside all differences, and care for our fellow man and planet, to take full responsibility of being humans on this green world. Just as well on this coin, I seek to live my life peacefully, without anger, strife, grudges, hatred, to be kind to everyone, and live life to its fullest.

This is all just ideally, however.

More often than not, I find myself on the opposite end of the spectrum. I have no hope for our species or the planet, and that we all should die for what we've done to each other, and the world around us. That we're beyond repentance, and that everyday we just dig ourselves deeper, regression instead of progression. And in terms of my personal feelings and life, it fills me with anger and displeasure, makes me be spiteful towards my metaphorical fellow man, and even pushes me to not want to live amongst all this anymore, as I'm often so filled with resentment, anger, hatred, and sadness, directed towards so many things that seem almost beyond repair.

I realized early on in life that man is a nasty animal, so i walk away from those...seek out the rare people....turn my back on the others and live in....as has been pointed out to me many times..."My own la la land...."...or my own world. I don't have much hope for the human species.......as a whole.....so I concentrate on animals....and people who deserve my love. that is how I do it.

Edited by Moonglow181, March 01 2017 - 08:16 AM.

• Sora likes this

#6 Sora

Sora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted March 01 2017 - 09:07 AM

I have do my best to surround myself with those that I feel are good for me, for my life.  Those who share the same vibes and viewpoints, or those who may not be exactly matched to them, but think just as deeply, and give me cause to spend time reconsidering my own opinions and feelings.  The best growth I've had is when I'm forced to re-evaluate what I believe in.  

I think at the end of the day, it shouldn't be that hard to treat every person as an equal, to all just get along, and ensure we all have fair and equal treatment, despite any and all differences that we may have, we're all one.  We should focus on treating each other well, and caring for the planet that has given birth to our very species, as well as the animals on it.  Yet we continue to murder innocents, and deny rights to those who deserve equal treatment.  I know we'll never have a perfect world, and this purgatory will likely continue to the end of time, and as much as I try to turn away from the intolerance and violence, it's hard to do so when you believe so strongly in equality and freedom, and are willing to do anything for it.  The way that other humans treat each other and everything around them, it sometimes saps my desire for equal love and treatment, and makes me see us all as a virus, a cruel animal that's slaughtering its host, and thankfully is destroying itself.

It's nice to know though that I'm not the only one thinking myself into a corner on this, since it occupies most of my time, and it's an issue a lot of people are afraid to tackle, mainly because there is no true answer.  Just as most of you have said, the best thing to do is to keep being positive in yourself, caring for and loving others, the ones who deserve it, and standing against the vile things that drag you down, lest you become a part of it as well.  And I really appreciate that stance.  It's something that's really a part of who I am, yet I never really considered it in that way.  One mast value the good things they have and can do, and do well for the things around them, make the best life they can for those who walk the path next to you.

It just gets so hard when everyday we're inundated with this and that happening here and there, terrible things that fellow humans are doing, for utterly senseless reasons, and it saps any hope I'd like to have for the rest of our species at large.  I know I have hope and joy in those close to me, as you all have said, this is important.  I just wish I could feel that way towards everyone, because it can be pretty crushing sometimes 

• Moonglow181 likes this

#7 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 12,016 posts

Posted March 01 2017 - 09:32 AM

I feel the same way

Taking some sort of action to make the world better helps. Of course we cant change the world, we cant force evil to become good but we can help make someone's path in life a little easier at least.

Just do what you can while you're here and focus on the beauty more than the ugly
  • Sora likes this

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#8 Sora

Sora

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted March 01 2017 - 09:35 AM

That's what I work towards daily.  Doing what I can for those that I'm able to help, and taking in the beauty that is present here.  The ugly is sometimes just so overwhelming, it deafens.  And I don't want to turn a blind eye to it, because ignoring the ugly evils in the world is just as bad as helping them win.

#9 Meliai

Meliai

• PipPipPip
  • 12,016 posts

Posted March 01 2017 - 09:38 AM

That's what I work towards daily.  Doing what I can for those that I'm able to help, and taking in the beauty that is present here.  The ugly is sometimes just so overwhelming, it deafens.  And I don't want to turn a blind eye to it, because ignoring the ugly evils in the world is just as bad as helping them win.

I agree, it can be difficult remaining aware without letting it overwhelm you.

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens ~Tolkien

#10 BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake

Hip Forums Supporter

•  Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,407 posts

Posted March 01 2017 - 09:44 AM

'When fighting monsters, be careful you yourself do not become a monster' - Nietzsche.

Not that I think anyone here is doing that. But I think it's a useful kind of maxim when you feel like lining up a bunch of politicians and bankers against a wall and giving the order to fire, as I admit I sometimes do in my darker moments.

Anyway, to change tack slightly - I recently read a new book: 'How Soon is Now?' by Daniel Pinchbeck. In it he gives a nice analogy. When a caterpillar begins to be ready for metamorphosis, the cells in the body of the caterpillar start to break down inside the chrysalis, and this produces what are called 'imaginal cells'. These imaginal cells then reconstruct the dying caterpillar cells into the new butterfly.

So in this world fast going down the drain, those of us who care and have some awareness have to be the imaginal cells for the future of humanity. Seems like an awesome goal, but it rings a bell for me.

I think in the end that we just have to try to do whatever we can. Even in small ways.

• Meliai and Sora like this

Click to shop at Weed Seed Shop