Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Feb 26, 2017.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

So I was listening to a podcast the other day, and the podcast centered around people that had experienced amazing coincidences in their lives. I found all of the stories fascinating, and although most coincidences can be explained by a simple statistical breakdown, they still have a certain magic about them.

Anyone here have a cool coincidence story? Even a minor one? I'd like to hear 'em.

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I have two that involve my husband.

My son had this friend for a few years before my husband and I met; he was the friend of some guys that lived in the neighborhood. Hubby didn't meet the guy until my son's 18th birthday. We took my son and his friends out to eat and hubby was seated across from this guy. He started making conversation. Hubby said he had a cousin with the same last name. He asked the boy who his grandparents were. The boys' grandmother was sisters with hubby's mother!

The other coincidence revolved around my boyfriend. (Hubby and I have an open marriage.) My boyfriend was here and we were drinking some Vodka. My boyfriend starting talking about his former wife's family being from Russia. Hubby says that his was too. They started comparing names and found out that the ex-wife's father and my hubby's father were brothers; making my boyfriend's daughter my husband's cousin!

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

This is pretty minor, but once when I was driving to NY i was stuck in a traffic jam in VA and glanced at the car beside me and it was a couple of friends of mine.

I have a lot of small world moments like that but usually its to be expected because i live in a smallish city. But it was pretty cool bumping into someone two states away.

1 person likes this.
  4. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

I also listen to This American Life.

As far as coincidences... this didn't happen to me, but is one of my favorite coincidence stories.

My friend's dad is from a small town. He went backpacking in Nepal when he was younger. So... he's in the middle of nowhere in Nepal, climbing up some mountain. It takes days of trekking. Finally, he makes it up the final path, reaches the peak... and sees another man standing there.

It was his next door neighbor.

Neither one knew the other was in Nepal. These two small town neighbors just accidentally met at the peak of a random mountain in the middle of a foreign country. Shows you what a small world it is.

6 people like this.
  5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i grew up in a small town in ohio, population about 1400, and on two separate occasions i ran into people from that town in florida. first time, i was at busch gardens with my family in 8th grade, and suddenly there was my 7th grade basketball coach. the other time, i was in daytona for spring break during freshman year of college. i went a day earlier than the other people i was staying with, so on that first day i was just randomly driving around checking out the town and 4 guys crossed the street directly in front of me; they were 4 of my good friends from my class who i hadn't talked to since leaving for college.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Similar to above;

One time I was visiting Western Australia and we ended up in like a posh area with one small club. We were waiting in line to get in and behind me I heard a voice and I turned and was a brother of a friend I had in HS. In the middle of nowhere at one shitty club on the other side of country where we went to school and we catch up there. My friend was also there taking a pee behind a tree and the brother called him and said hey guess who I found you'll never believe it!! And I could him in the distance going "bullshit no way!!" And he came running over lol.

This year on NYE, prior I remarked at how good I was for never losing a phone or wallet. I have kept the same cell phone number since I was 14/15. I lost it NYE. After complaining about it I remember it always happens like that like when you think about how you never lose it you will.

So later I remember when I found a cell phone and returned to its owner the next day and I say where's the karma!! 7am NYDay somebody bring my wallet back to me. :)

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, I've run into people from home in some of the tourist beach locations...but not out in some shitty little club in the middle of nowhere.

1 person likes this.
  8. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

When I was about 15 I was in Hawaii with my family and my best buddy texted me asking what was up etc.. told hi mI was in hawaii and what island and he said oh no shit me too. Sure enough he and his family were there as well so we met up later that night. While we were hanging out we ran into a friend of ours that we also didn't know was gonna be there.

9. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Got my first cell phone. Guy gave me my number on a piece of paper.
    I gave all my family the number.
    Was with my mother and she tells me "I just called you" I got no call so tell her to call again...nothing.
    Guy gave me the wrong number.
    Next day my aunt calls me with the right number after my mom told her what it was.
    She said she called the first number and a guy answered my aunt said (penguinsfan?) Dude says "yeah"
    Aunt says "it's aunt jean"
    Dude says "from Ohio?"

Turns out that the guy gave me the number to someone who had my name and also had an aunt jean. It was the last 2 numbers that were wrong so he must have lived in the area too.

10. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Was this an episode of This American Life?

I too was listening to that the other day.

How coincidental.

1 person likes this.
  11. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i basically have no life so i went online and found hipforums

which coincidently is full of other people with that same problem

what a coincidence...

pensfan13, Aerianne and Irminsul like this.
  12. egger

egger Member

Billy Davis Jr. of The 5th Dimension lost his wallet in a New York cab. It was found and returned by the co-producer of the musical Hair who invited Davis to the show which featured a song called Aquarius that the group hadn't yet heard. The astronomical elements aligned the right way for the 5th Dimension who recorded Aquarius which went triple-platinum. :)

What might be considered even more amazing is that someone from NY returned someone's lost wallet. :)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/recording-the-5th-dimensions-aquariaus-let-the-sunshine-in-and-which-cds-to-buy.28574/

quote:

"Riding the group's initial success, they were doing a gig at Manhattan's Americana Hotel in 1968 when one of the members, singer Billy Davis Jr. (who would go on to duet hits with another Dimension alumnus, Marilyn McCoo), lost his wallet in a cab. A good Samaritan returned it and Davis invited him and his wife to the show. Coincidentally, the Samaritan turned out to be a co-producer of Hair, and he, in turn, invited the 5th Dimension to see it. When the group heard the stirring opening number — which, like all of the songs in the show, were composed by Rado and Ragni — they immediately decided to record it.

“Aquarius” was released on March 8, 1969, and spent six weeks at Number One and remained in the Top 40 for 16 weeks, selling more than 2 million copies in less than a month before topping out at triple Platinum."

13. I just added Age of Aquarius to my youtube playlist. I mean right before I read this. Coincidence?

I added it to my playlist 'cause I'm trying to make a playlist of all the songs I used to listen to on the oldies station that got taken off the air.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i've never heard of an oldies station getting taken off the air. who will play christmas music from november 1 through new year?

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I was walking around in Whole Foods yesterday and saw the avocado display, and immediately thought of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE4C8a48o1E

And then as I was thinking about it some guy said out loud to his wife: "Hey baby did you get any FREE SHAVACADOO??"

1 person likes this.
  16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Yesterday at work, this guy I was helping made reference to the Three Stooges with himself, my coworker and I when we were initially trying to figure something out, then after work I was reading a book on Computer programming that had made no reference to pop culture for the first ~190 pages and then it used { {"Curly", 30}, {"Larry", 25}, {"Moe", 35} };

17. Amethyst87F

Amethyst87F JesF35

You may want to watch the movie, "I Heart Huckabees". -- They discuss whether coincedences are meaningful or not.

I've heard two ideas about coincedences that I've really liked.

#1 -- That they mean we are on the right track. I take this not so seriously, but it can guide me. For example, if one happens and I was thinking about doin my laundry, then I think that may be what I should do.

#2 -- I've heard coincedences mean a person is in touch with the Universe.

I also think a person having coincedences can mean they have some Psychic ability.

(Please forgive my wrongful spelling)

18. I experienced so many coincidences I don't know if I even notice them anymore. I walk in a door and it's like...if a TV is playing or something, someone on it will say, "There he is!" It was really making me paranoid for a long time, but I don't notice it anymore.